Any weird things?

canuckguitarist

Just wondering if there are any weird things that you guys do with your guitars/guitar stuff. For example, all of my picks, i rub down with 120 grit sandpaper, makes them feel like the dunlops with the powdery stuff on them.

You guys have any?

P.S.

If you try the sandpaper thing with Fender tortise shell picks, they smell like really strong cough drops! :D

I punch a hole in the pick so it doesn't spin around.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do something with the Floyd when I would change the strings.

With the tail end locked in the bridge, I would twist the string about one turn before I put it in the tuning peg. The string does a cork-screw loop going down the guitar. Kind of like a spring. Hope that makes sense.

When the guitar is tuned up, it looks, feels and plays normal. But when you dive bomb, the strings coil up like a spring again. Looks very cool, or it did at the time. :D

everytime i change strings on any guitar, the first thing i play is the first 60 seconds of "Dust in the wind" by kansas... :D... naked.

• 2 weeks later...
I modify all my picks too.

I clip the tip of them with nail clippers and then file them.  They are basically relic-picks!  They feel like I've played with them for ages.  :D

Hey! That's kind of similar to something I do.

I've only been playing for about a year and a half, but early last year I bought some aluminium pics from the US. They're just a normal, medium sized rounded off tip shape, but they have holes drilled in the gripping end near the top in a line. I bought three different kinds.

I kept playing with one blue one in particular because it felt the comfiest. Now, a year on, I found another of the pics lying around and held my blue pic up against it. Shhhhhhhhh--ite! There is about 3mm of solid aluminium missing from my favourite pic.

Over the last year of painful guitar practice, I've worn the pic into the most ergonomic shape ever. The tip is very smooth and rounded off, but more cool than that is that the sides of the pic or also curved where they meet with the strings, and it's always just one side, since I must have subconsciously picked up on which was offering least resistance.

When I play, I don't hold much of the pic out, I hold it so my thumb rests very close to the tip, so there is only about 2mm or so of the pic sticking out. I rest my pointing finger about half way up on the other side, so it's very difficult to scratch the guitar, and my thumb is close to the strings.

It amazed me because I'd never looked at the pic before, and then when I it was almost perfectly smoothed off, as if it was machine cut.

I have actually drawn round this pic with a pen and keep the drawing safe in case I ever loose the original. When I do loose it, I go round the house going mental trying to find it. I even added some string and hung it round my neck at one point, but it made playing too tricky! B)

It's so perfectly shaped to how I play it makes aritificial harmonics easy compared to a new pic. I never really use any other pic now.

The downside, if I loose it I go mental... and also, it leaves aluminium dust all over my fingers after a few hours playing. Without realising I then touch things like the white paint all over my room or the curtains! Ack! :D

My next plan is to buy some titanium and make a cople of copies so I don't loose them so easily! I love my BLUE PIC!!!!!! YAY! I'll take a photo of it for you some day! :D

I have a heavy, metal slide that I like to tap the strings with with my picking hand (with the slide on), especially at the 12th fret, its like turbo octives. Sounds kinda wierd versus taping with your fingers.

I kept playing with one blue one in particular because it felt the comfiest. Now, a year on, I found another of the pics lying around and held my blue pic up against it. Shhhhhhhhh--ite! There is about 3mm of solid aluminium missing from my favourite pic.

You've kept a pic for a year!!!!!!! I lose them every time I put them down