Job Advert - Trainee Luthier Required

Ok, time has come. I need help at work. I have too much work and not enough time. I need someone to come in and assist around the shop, and be trained to repair, setup, and assist in building guitars.

Pay is standard award rates. Permanent part time, approximately 14-18 hours per week. Two days per week for now, expanding over time. I currently have enough work for at LEAST one full time staff member, but i want to ease into this, cause its a scary :D

Types of work:

REPAIRS: simple repairs, restrings and setups. Preperation for refrets, pickup and electrical troubleshooting and installations.

NEW GUITARS: neck construction and shaping, sanding, routing etc etc

ELECTRONIC: Possibly building new effects units, although i already have one person in mind for this.

Would suit a uni student or someone who already works part time. The two days per week would be during the week, with OCCASSIONAL weekend work, maybe.

No previous experience required obviously, but woodworking or detailed work of any type would be favorable. YOU WILL be given the opportunity to build your own guitars, after a while.

Applications via email only. Unless you currently live in PERTH, WESTERN AUSTRALIA, please do not bother applying.

I'm with Setch on this one. If this sort of thing came up near me, I'd have to seriously consider quitting my job and going for this.

Good luck finding someone good mate. Just a thought, but wouldn't a retired person also be a good bet. I know plenty of old geezers that are awesome at woodwork (and generally have time on their hands). YOu forgot to add "Must be good at sanding and buffing" :D

Anyway, good luck finding someone. :D

But the South Pole is about the only place that's further from everywhere than Perth.

Oh shucks...I got it all...part time job, week days free, no commitments, live in Australia...except...the South Pole actually is closer to Melbourne I suspect than Perth...oh well, good luck with that Perry and congrats on moving up a step with the work you must have backing up there... pete

• 4 months later...

Hello Perry,

Harvey here. I'm new to the forum. Sorry about the previous posting from me. Made an error and re-sent out your advert instead. I've just moved to Perth, and I know it's a long shot, seeing the advert was posted in April, but I'm emailing my application to you today. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about moving to australia cuz they need dentists over there and i would get a visa kinda easily, do you still need help over there?

yeah i do, and i got heaps of resumes, but i wanted to wait until id settled into the new factory before signing anyone on. That still hasnt happened, because it took so long to find a suitable building.

OK! though in my resume you would see a dentist degree and an implantology post graduate degree too! haha, naw seriously i was the apprentice of a luthier in my city in Venezuela for 3 years, i learned a lot with the guy, and i think you've seen some of my work, anyways, good luck man, i didn't know you were moving to a bigger facility!