Finished Wenge Guitar And Case

I built this case using garehanmans tutorial. The guitar is completely done except for the nut. I'll have more pics of it up monday.

I used 1/4" ply and it was coverd in black denim. The hardware was bought from stewmac and seems to be good quality.

fullcase.jpg

The finish on the wenge is tung oil.

The stewmac waterbase finish (sprayed from my SATA minijet) was used on the neck and went on extremely well as you can see here.

backneck.jpg

This stuff is great. Super easy to buff/sand and went on so nicely. It was dry to the touch in about 2 minutes after spraying :D I let it cure for a week and than sanded the neck with 400 grit dry. It is the single most smooth neck finish i've ever felt.

Tons more pics of the guitar and case.

Edited by Godin SD

that's a beautiful guitar! That's actually very close to the design I

was planning for my first one. I'd love to hear a sound byte when you

have one.

Nice case too, looks heavy duty. I like the denim idea. What material

did you use on the inside of the case?

Great work man!

Edited by tophski

Looks like an excellent job on both the case and guitar. This is the guitar you refretted and refinished, correct? Any chance we can get some pics of the guitar and case seperately? It's kind of difficult to distinguish between the two since they're both dark and the backround's so bright.

peace,r

russ

The guitar is completely finished, and the fret job is absolutely phenomenal.

The Ebony fingerboard is so fast it feels like you're playing on greased butter.

The bone nut coupled with the wenge contributes to the best tone I've ever heard on a solid body electric guitar.

It has such a vibrant and alive clean tone that you can use it as a jazz box, but also sounds great with heavier overdriven sounds.

If the Wenge wasn't so difficult to work and finish, it would be a wonderful guitar wood because the tone and feel is unsurpassed by anything I have seen.

These are a few teaser photos.

wengebody1.jpg

Neck Binding

I had my brother Chris take the photos with his photography equipment. They turned out great and there will be more to come soon...

I've also got a friend that has recording equipment and is going to sound man college (not sure what it's really called) and I'll get him to record some sweet sound clips. I'll talk to him on monday so maybe some time next week I'll have the clips up. :D

Once I get some more pics I might enter it in GOTM.

:D -Daniel

Edited by Godin SD

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, that is smokin' hot. I especially love the raw look of the body wood. I have been a great fan of your Milk Dud design. It is unique and looks very ergonomic, like it wants to snuggle up to you and have you rub its belly! Nice contrast with the neck binding too.

Godin, that is a sexy beast. I really like the shape and curves, both front and back. Kind of like a woman. Whoa, I'd better change the subject. :D:D

Seriously, it's cool and well done.

This is no criticism, but it flows so well that I wonder if something other than a rectangtular hardtail bridge would make it even more sexy? Maybe a Hipshot Hardtail or Baby Grand?

Congrats.

This is no criticism, but it flows so well that I wonder if something other than a rectangtular hardtail bridge would make it even more sexy? Maybe a Hipshot Hardtail or Baby Grand?

I was thinking the exact same thing. A PRS style wraparound is going on the next one :D

i love that binding!

how was it done?

I cut the ebony fingerboard smaller than the neck before I glued it on. Than I glued it on using posistioning pins to make sure I get it in the right spot. Than I glued on the maple and purfling (the black line) and thats it.

Although, there are much much better ways to do binding. I wouldn't recomend you do it the way I did, too much room for error.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Edited by Godin SD

I can describe the sound. I showed it to one of my friends who has a PRS Custom 24. and doing an A/B comparison on a top hat amp we concluded that neither we're better, just slightly diffrent (good news for me)

The PRS had a slightly more focused sound and was a little bit brighter with more note clarity. Mine was a bit darker, much more smooth in overdrive, and sounded much warmer and more alive when played clean.

He also commented on the neck, saying that it was the best neck he has ever played on. He liked the fret job, the back carve, the look of the binding, the feel of the ebony, and the smooth finish on the neck.

All in all he was absaluly floored to play it. You should have seen his face. Just seeing that guitar make somone so happy just by playing it (any not to mention it was somone who has a very nice PRS) made me feel so good inside. It was awesome! B):D:D

Edited by Godin SD