Senior Project Guitar

I used the same method to create the drop off and also in the neck cavity to account for the 5 degree neck join angle

I sincerely hope that's a typo. A 5 degree neck angle will require you bridge to float at least 3/4 of an inch off the front of the guitar if you want the strings to touch it! Where in the world did you get the idea to use a 5 degree neck angle on a Floyd Rose equipped guitar?

Ah, I had just read that somewhere that it was 5 degrees... but using some trigonometry, I found that the actual angle is .999999993408 degrees. Or 1. Heh, does that sound more like it? :-P I posted more pictures today of progress, feel free to check 'em out

• 2 months later...
Can anyone give me tips on how to rout the truss rod channel

Get long nose drill bit (12" long or so) and go in through neck cavity.

and also how to get the fingerboard onto the neck perfectly straight??

Get you some of those small brass nails, hammer in neck, snip head off, press fingerboard in place.

Then when glueing these small nails will work as locks to keep the board in place.

Basically, you just need to make sure the truss rod channel is the right length and width, and dead straight down the center of the neck. You can do the centering and aligning based off the edges of your maple laminate, as they're the only remaining straight part on the neck. www.Stewmac.com will have suitable instructions for installing the truss rod.

As for Getting the fingerboard perfectly straight, the brass tacks only work if you have excess neck width that you can hammer them into. Since your neck is already tapered, what I'd do is align the fretboard on the neck and double-stick-tape it down. Then, trace the edges of the neck onto the back of the fretboard, remove the fretboard, and cut the taper. Now all you have to do is glue down the fretboard, being very careful not to use too much glue (so it won't slide around so much), and that the edges are straight and aligned.

I like how this is going so far; good luck!

I finally relocated it to my own server at http://www.seldemon.com/projectfolder/index.html so there's no bandwidth problems anymore! I also posted more progress since last time! Can anyone give me tips on how to rout the truss rod channel and also how to get the fingerboard onto the neck perfectly straight??

Looks very good. I would have cut the truss rod channel while the neck blank was still square.

• 3 months later...

Beautiful job so far :D

The only thing I saw that may be a concern is the depth of your front ledge on the Floyd route, where the studs are placed.

Typically, I go about 1/8" deep there, maybe a tiny bit more sometimes. I'm not familiar with JEM's really, but the relationship between the neck height off the neck pocket and the depth of those studs is pretty important.

If the studs are placed too low, then your posts will have to be set very high to compensate, your pocket looks pretty deep to me, but maybe it's just the pic, dunno...

Nice job besides that, hopefully there's no issue there, I'm just imagining things, or JEM's do it differently than I do it...

Well, there is another issue... when making the body, I was dumb to think I could freehand rout the neck pocket and I made it too wide, so I think I'm going to rout a square around it and fill it in with another piece of mahogany that was cut off as excess, then re-rout that piece to the correct pocket size. Unless anyone else has a more efficient/easier way of doing this

Well, there is another issue... when making the body, I was dumb to think I could freehand rout the neck pocket and I made it too wide, so I think I'm going to rout a square around it and fill it in with another piece of mahogany that was cut off as excess, then re-rout that piece to the correct pocket size. Unless anyone else has a more efficient/easier way of doing this

that was one thing i thought might be an issue when looking through the pics just now... if you're doing a solid finish, your idea should work fine...