5 String Bass, Set Neck

Roundover before you glue the neck in....most definitely. I distinctly recall hating the task of feathering the roundover transition against the neck on my neck-thru. Without the neck, you can run the bit right to the end of the neck pocket (if you want).

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Erik. I'll round it over first. The worst is that I do my roundovers with files and the thought of filing the body close to the glued-in neck sends shivers down my spine :D

Unfortunately I don't have a good pic of blending the body to the neck. But I rough shape the neck and roundover the body. Then after I glue them together I go at it again with the rasp to blend the two together for a nice smooth transition. Ideally it should end up looking like it was all molded from one piece. Someday maybe I'll have pictures of every step :D

I guess what I'm saying though is, if you assume you're going to blend the joint then you won't be worrying about nicking the neck with your file...

s-neckshaping1__.jpg

Jon,

I didn't remember so I went and had a look and at the same time took a pic for you. So I just basically lower the router a bit and it's still on the straightedge. After looking at this I can tell you that my hardwood edge is 7/8" thick and the cutter area of my bit is 1" long. I took two passes so the cutter head wouldn't take too much material out at one time and risk chipping the neck.

BZWY265001.jpg

Magni, thanks for the tip. The neck will be blended. I wasn't worried about nicking the back of the neck I was worried about nicking the small gap between the edge of the body and the front of the neck where the fingerboard is.

Magni, thanks for the tip. The neck will be blended. I wasn't worried about nicking the back of the neck I was worried about nicking the small gap between the edge of the body and the front of the neck where the fingerboard is.

Ah, I see. You do have to take some care. The horns can be in danger too depending on your design. But I find neck carving and neck to body blending to be about the most fun and rewarding tasks of building an instrument :D

Using a router or even a router table, these I don't really enjoy...

Edited by Son of Magni

Thanks Phil, I appreciate it.

I see my true problem now. The bit I'm using is a 3/8" bit, and the ball bearing is VERY small. I'm thinking with a bulkier bit, I wont run into the load of problems I'm having now. I'll make sure to purchase a couple new 1"+ bits for my next attempt.

• 1 year later...

I haven't posted pics here in an eternity, more than two years from the posts I can see in the thread :D This bass is the longest build I've ever done. It's been 2 and a half year already. There was a lot of interruptions during that time. It will very soon be done though. I give myself less than two months at this point.

Well at some point a year or so ago, I glued the top on the body. This is a set neck bass. So I cut the shape of the neck joint into the top, glued first the neck on the body then squeezed the top through the neck onto the body to glue it.

003037-1.jpg

I started shaping the neck (months) after that.

05-01-08MISC079-1.jpg

Edited by Phil Mailloux

This is what it looked like once I had the neck done and had done the shaping of the body.

003006-1.jpg

I wasn't happy with the shaping and wanted to do a nice carve to it so I've been playing around with that for the last few days. This is the last pic where I'm at right now.

003112-1.jpg

Edited by Phil Mailloux

• 9 months later...

Updating a 3 year old thread :D

I finished building this bass about 2 weeks ago. It was on the backburner for a couple of years because I was busy building custom instruments for a couple of customers.

I handbuilt two musicman pickups built to pre-EB specs, although for a 5 string. They're connected in series with a two band Aguilar pre.

I used scraps of the top and back to match the headstock, wooden pickups covers and electronics cavity.

00314r.jpg

00313r.jpg

003113r.jpg

00311r.jpg

00315r.jpg

00317r.jpg

00319r.jpg