Using Apple For Necks?

I have a couple of old apple trees that i cut down 4 years ago and since then they've been sitting in the shed drying off. the main trunk of one of them is just big enough to get a neck blank out of, having never seen or heard of it being used for this i think it would be better to see if anyone has or if anyone knows how it sounds.

Hey, if you can get it all sawn up for a decent price, I say give it a go! The worse that could happen is you are out a couple bucks for the freboard and frets, and heck, if you are patient you could even salvage those.

It certainly would be strong enough. (Apple is great for making wooden mallets.) I don't know about its tonal qualities. I would guess it would work pretty well ... assuming you can get a clean cut of wood. Let us know how it works ... you may start a trend.

It certainly would be strong enough. (Apple is great for making wooden mallets.) I don't know about its tonal qualities. I would guess it would work pretty well ... assuming you can get a clean cut of wood. Let us know how it works ... you may start a trend.

I should get a nice plank out of it, it has no cracks in it. I hope i don't start a trend, can't have people cutting down all the apple trees. Where would we get cider from? :D

Keep us posted on how this works. My wifes family has several large apple trees that I expect will be coming down in the next few years and thought about using some of the wood for a guitar body and neck, and depending how it worked out, possibly a bass as well. And I can't stop drooling at the thought of all of the chicken and ribs and fish I'll get to smoke and bbq with it.

Cherry works fine too. Did a solid resolectric from a piece of old cherry table some years ago

I've got a small stash of air dried cherry, cut from a tree which came down in my Grandparents garden. I really hope it turns out to be usable for some kind of instrument, I grew up playing under/in the tree, and I chopped it up and slabbed it out with my Dad and brother.

It's probably about time I got it smoothed out a bit, and saw exactly what I'm working with.

The cherry I used on the lap steel was almost indistinguishable from maple. Assuming it's the same kind, it's more rigid than, say, mahogany-- which many people use for necks. By design, the lap doesn't have the same requirements as an actual neck; however, I'm sure it'd be usable.

Greg

If it hasn,t checked cracked or warped in the time you have had it sitting it is good to go.The average yield from apple lumber is usually around 20-25 %.Mill it and let it sit for a while longer and cross your fingers.this wood loves to rip itself apart but when totally dry is very stable.Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

I've got a buddy with a homemade guitar with a cherry body, sounds great and he sure loves it.

Persimmon is wood that's been interesting me, as it's supposed to have similar heartwood to Ebony and grows nearby. A game call maker I know, mentioned how they're really similar they are to work with.