Behringer V-Amp 2

mullmuzzler

I'd be interested in hearing the assembled thougth too.

The vamp2 was one of the things I concidered. I compared the Johnson J-Station, the pod, the digitechs, etc. along with the Berhringer. In terms of cost and features, the vamp2 seemed mighty attractive. It and the J-Station were my front runner choices... but in the end I wound up getting a Korg ToneWorks AX1500G and am VERY happy that I did. I read too many negatives about the vamp2 in various customer reviews (arriving D.O.A., flimsy plastic, etc.) The Korg is about $70 more than the vamp2 but it has built-in footswitches and an expression pedel... plus it's made of metal vs. plastic for the vamp2. The Korg website has a real or wmv VIDEO demo if you want to check it out.

Interesting. I own a few bits of Behringer kit - mmixer, studio compressor and patch bay, and the build quality and performance is excellent in all cases. If I end up buying a non-floor mountable processor (Pod, Vamp), I certainly lean towards the Vamp because if I'm gonna use a weird shaped bit of plastic I'd rather pay less than more for a similar job. Wasn't aware of the rackmount though - that's really interesting.

Paul,

check out v-amp.com.

I bought it pretty much as a gadget, but it turned out as a serious recording tool.

Beware: I'm not a hi-gain man.. I have valves in my brains.

The only complaint you hear from reviews is the marginal lesser dynamics on modellers, but you won't hear any of that in a mix.

Nowadays music tends to be heavily compressed, so most of the dynamics are gone anyway.

I really liked the Marshall en (semi-)clean amp simulations. There's a Twin reverb that just sings. I'll try to post a few sound samples soon.

I bought this thing witout even listening to the sounds. It's dead cheap and the best feature is the fact that you can listen on one output with effects and can record from another output without effects.

I agree, Behringer makes very cool stuff. Not everything is as good (their studio monitors are a joke..:-), but everything is extremely muchos bangos for dha buckos!

I have a 4mic/2stereo mixer of theirs and based on the quality of it, I bought their midi foot/expression pedal and their 4channel headphone amp. I think Berhinger products (the ones not dealing with tone) are excellent and worth the cost.

Now I haven't tried the V-amp, but I own a Line 6 POD. All I can say, is that no matter how much money they invest into amp modeling, it will not sound the same as a cranked amp. I've yet to find a settings for great jazz sounds or heavy distortion that doesn't sound like death metal or EVH. There is an in-between spot, and I found it on my Mesa. There's just something about a set of speakers pushing air, and your own ears. I replicated the same settings on the POD as my Mesa, and it just doesn't sound the same. But I do enjoy the "tweed" and "insane" settings for pretending like I'm playing blues or death metal.

So I guess my point is this. Other people (and myself) like Berhinger's non-tone related products, which means their products are quality (except speakers apparently). Modeling amps are cool, but don't sound the same as the real thing. SO...why spend more on the same type of thing, especially if they are all modeling the same amps (ie. Mesa, Marshall, Fender, etc.).

I don't wanna go into a pointless debat what sounds better, you've gotta admit that a modeler is a great recording tool.

I owned the POD's and other similar devices and can tell you the V-amp pro blows 'm out of the water.

A modeler is not a tube amp... it's a device to simulate the sound of a miced guitar amp. A miced and recorded guitar amp sounds different than "the real thing" too...

In the end, when a guitar is EQ'd, compressed and mixed, I really don't hear much of a difference anymore.

Yeah, that's really the whole point. So much of the full sound of the guitar/amp is mixed out - be it either in a studio or even in a gig situation. Otherwise, you just end up with a messy sound.

If a device gives me the sound I want in the mix - and preferably ONLY that sound, I'm well happy!

The key thing for me is that these things can be used straight into a desk and then be monitored on cans - essential with a home studio and nocturnal habits.

James point is, I think, that as all these are strictly speaking inaccurate anyway, why blow a fortune on one which does pretty much the same as a cheaper model (eg the V-Amp). I agree - I have to get payback in one form or another from all my gear.

Ive owned them all, VAmp2, POD2 and JStation.

I sold everything but the VAmp2. The amp models are fantastic, the effects are good and the price is even better.

I havent found a sound I cant nail with it yet. But be aware, the presets suck. You really have to invest the time in your own programming to get the most out of it.

I don't wanna go into a pointless debat what sounds better, you've gotta admit that a modeler is a great recording tool.

I owned the POD's and other similar devices and can tell you the V-amp pro blows 'm out of the water.

A modeler is not a tube amp... it's a device to simulate the sound of a miced guitar amp. A miced and recorded guitar amp sounds different than "the real thing" too...

In the end, when a guitar is EQ'd, compressed and mixed, I really don't hear much of a difference anymore.

i totaly agree, my amp is on the oposite side of the house from my recording studio... you pretty much need 2 rigs... live and practicing rig.... recording box/rig

Yup...that's what I got. I got my Mesa half stack with rockstron fx for live, and my pod and my mixer and headphone amp for jamming with my buddies (the drummer has a whisper room) and for playing while sitting in front of the computer. I originally bought the Line 6 POD to do multitrack recording, plus it was the only one available at the time. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd get the V-amp pro because it's less than the cost of the POD and most of the other modeling pedals. Hmmm...makes me think about trying to sell it on ebay... I dunno about the other ones, but I hear the Boss pedal (the gold GT6) is pretty cool too and it has the whammy effect in it.

zoom rocks!!!!

I have an old 9002 professional unit (yes, the one you stuck to your guitar strap). Did their distortion sounds ever get better? 'Cos the distortion on that thing was HORRID. Thin sounding, more fuzzy than crunchy. I've often thought about getting more zoom gear, 'cos all of the other effects were amazing, but the horribleness of the distortion has always stopped me.

The only thing I've gotten out of the zoom unit I have is a loss of tone (mostly bottom end), and mud. It's got decent gain, and the modulation's usable, but unfortunately, bypassing it absolutely sucks the tone out of the amp.

i have the zoom driver...and i use the metal distortion patch...and it is awesome!flat and articulate....alot like fear factory

i heavy metal is the patch i use to record all my rythm tracks, i just turn the "widener" effect off... and tweak with the mid someitmes... but mmmmmm it's great, and i love they're soldano patch... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm that's pretty much my lead tone :D i love zoom!!!!!!!!!!

I've had Zoom GFX-707 and it wasn't so bad, not bad at all. In fact, selling it was probably wrong decision :D but I needed cash for something else. As far as the stomp boxes go, they are useless without a REALLY GOOD amp (and a bunch of other stomp boxes!!!!).

The deal I'm getting on V-Amp 2 is little under 220 EUR, so it is not cheap as Zoom, but I reckon it has better sounds, especially for REC purposes, as I intend to use it for that. I've read that it sounds crappy through the front of the amp. Is there a cure for that, or it is "just" a recording tool?

BTW, this is my 50th post. Congrats to me (from ME, MYSELF & I)!!!

mullmuzzler | OSSMT