New Project - 7 String Explorer Thing

Hey everyone!

Started a new project, but i don't have photo's of the actual wood as it's about 45 minutes away from me. I did however have a photo of the base template (yes i know the neck isn't tapered....).

It's a 7 string kelly'ish explorer, 25.5 scale, 24 frets, 2 seymour duncans, tuneomatic bridge with string thru ferrules, grover locking tuners and it's my first neck thru. I'll grab photos of the cut out parts this weekend.

DSCN0491.jpg

And my feet for good measure.

Edited by Canuck Brian

Cool design!

Do you go to Burlington, the Exotic Wood place to get your wood?

or A&M Woods (Cambridge) <---- I've never been here

I've always been a kelly fan.. and I own one too

Here's what I had in mind for my next kelly build

Pics from Jackson Custom shop

Wicked

Another One

Head idea?

Actually i'm heading to A&M tomorrow if you wanna come. :D I love that place. It's like a big candy store for guitar junkies.

I love that design that Jackson has with the little cuts but i'd be petrified trying to get those to look good.

416 561 5127

Edited by Canuck Brian

Haha thx for the offer, but I have a due date for this build (it's a PRS-ish I'll post when I'm done), I need to do as much work over the weekends.

I've never been to A&M, but been to Exotic Woods (Burlington) alot.

I'll take a visit to Cambridge when I visit my bro in Waterloo.

I'm guessing it's lot better than ExoticWoods though, as ExoticWoods wasn't really much of a "guitar store" it had a fewww section on it. But contrary to the name, I didn't find their wood much exotic, except pen/bowl blanks, some of them were pretty exotic.. cherry, purpleheart, french walnut, but in small portions

For the design, I prefer the Jackson headstock with Kelly's because it flows in the same direction as the body does.

Kelly's are known for their 'off-shape' design, but the headstock and the body shape really compliment each other, imo.

I'm really looking forward to see this finished! Great job with the 8-stringer. :D

About the design.. I think that the "theme" of the lower horn should cover the whole body.. If you know what I mean. Some wicked cut outs like in this one:

3_md.jpg

Good luck with it. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Oh man! it looks awesome!! i'm glad more people are building pointy's! hehe, what color would this beast be?
I agree, there does seem like there have been a lot of metal-y guitars lately, and that's definitely a good thing. :D You're project looks awesome. What kind of hardware/finish are you going to put on it? This would look good with an oil finish, or solid color, or stain... it just looks like it will be cool no matter what you do to it! :D Keep up the good work.

Hey thanks guys! I'm going to be doing a straight oil finish with chrome hardware on this. The fretboard was also originally rosewood, but the inlay sucked. Now it's wenge.

i'm going to try a colored finish with clear coat on my other in progress 7 string. I picked up a compressor from Canadian Tire at over half off and a gravity spray gun. I'm still learning the ropes on everything and i figured finally doing finishes other than oil would be a good idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hey thanks guys!

It's on the hood of the car, but no fret ends are touching the paint. :D I'll have those guys clipped off, filed and beveled by tomorrow night.

Sadly, it's not a dent. There's a good hunk of wood taken out of it.

Nick - I have a paper template the rest was done with a bandsaw and a lot of sanding. I didn't do MDF templates, but after this guy, i'm doing them before I do ANYTHING. If you want me to make a PDF or mail you a photocopy of the templates, i can. :D