Nocturne Nc1

OK, i know everybody likes 'in progress' pics but i don't have a digi cam and only think about borrowing one from work when i've finished the particular aspect that i'm working on - which is a wee bit useless

Anyway the specs:

One piece flamed sycamore body.

This had been laying around David Dykes for a while as people discounted it as it had some growth/drying discoloration but for the amount of flame i couldn't resist - also David did me an unbelieveably cheap deal on it. Colour wise it's black/sand back topped with a blue Chestnut products dye that i messed with a little to produce a more 'bluey green' colour rather than the very strong blue that the dye is. On top of this went 30 coats of cellulose - whoever said 'it's like watching paint dry' was obviously making a guitar at the time.

Three peice laminated maple neck 25.5 scale with 26 frets.

This idea is stolen from Hamer (of which i've used exclusively since 1984 and amassed quite a collection) and is basically to prevent any warping as the centre section and the two outer splices are oppossing. Headstock faceplate is flamed maple, the board ebony and the back of the neck would have remained wood colour if dick for brains here hadn't put it down of a peice of stain soaked rag - DOH !

Wire is the widest that DD's do and is close in specs to Dunlop 6100 (or could be 6300 ?!?!) Inlays were chosen to avoid any skulls or simular and do give it a bit of a cutesy look although the one's past the 12'th were a bit of a pig to cut. Obviously these are lost on anyone who's never seen the Dangermouse cartoons.

The hardware.

The Floyd Rose II is from the parts bin and has never been really used. I would have used Schaller but the one's i've got are all Hamer logo'd so i'm saving those for Hamer projects. Pickups are GFS Crunchy PAf and a reverse wound middle out of one of their stupidly cheap sell off sets and to be honest it really impresses me. Not that i think you can see it in the pics but the output jack is a Strat type mounted on the rim and is reversed so your cable tucks neatly over your strap button. Ah, now you've noticed - no strap buttons ! Well, i've been promised by Schaller that the black buttons by themselves will be available soon but after a three month wait i'm going to chuck some chrome one's on it over the weekend and change them if the black one's ever do materialise. Back cover plates are aluminium checkerplate that was given to me by a mate after he saw my Mesa triple rec as he thought it would look cool - i personally can't make my mind up !

Laters,

Jem

Nocturne Guitars :D

PICT0023.jpg

Body shot

Neck shot

Headstock shot

Another body shot

BAck shot

Oh, and before you say, yes i have noticed that i've strung the bottom three one way and the top three the other way - note to self: stay away from the vodka and weed until you've totally finished !!!!

I agree, that looks fantastic. The inlays aren't really my style, but it's still great work. I like how the frets go up to 26 but the last few are smaller. Awesome build. :D

WICKED!! I love that Inlay man :D great work

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Oh, and before you say, yes i have noticed that i've strung the bottom three one way and the top three the other way

I string my reverse explorer headstock that way, except I do the top four normally and the bottom two reversed - gives a straighter string path through the nut. Otherwise the extreme angle on the treble strings causes them to go a bit sharp when I clamp the nut.

Forgot to say, very nice professional-looking pics! :D

Mike

Thanks for the words guys.

mikhailgtrski - the pics were done by my inhouse guy who does all our catalogues, brochures, web etc. I must admit that they do look a bit too computery to me and i think it would have shot better outside than in the studio but as it was almost topping 100 degrees i can't blame him for shooting it in his aircon bunker. Oh, interesting comment on string pull.

Setch - when Dave said £40 i almost pulled his arm out of his socket !

mattheguy - get yer visa card out :D

Jem :D

I kid you not.

It had a sort of 'V' of grey growth if you looked at it from the end grain that was about 3 inches on the frontside and covered a large portion of the backside - hence i kept the back a little darker. The flame on the clean portion was very exciting and i could tell David was disappointed that the discoloration had put people off of buying it. If you look at the pictures you can see it almost looks like a neck through where the discolouration runs through the middle. I think if it had been clean all over it could have been around four times the price which, to be honest, i would have considered reasonable.

Nice!

Thats the coolest superstrat I've seen in ages.

Love the colour!

Man, I grew up watching Danger Mouse. All our ABC shows were pilferred from the BBC. That Penfold was a crack up. As for the guitar itself, Hamer Californians and more recently those Caparison Horus models are my personal favourites. This guitar is a masterpiece.

Luke :D

Congratulations on making the one guitar I'd be willing to travel thousands of miles and across multiple continents to steal! :D Seriously, that is one beautiful guitar, and it has everything I like: figured wood, a reverse headstock, recessed Floyd, no tone knob, a humbucker in the bridge, a single coil in the neck, and DANGERMOUSE!#@T$

Should you ever decided to sell that beauty, keep me in mind. I'm completely serious.

GBT

Congratulations on making the one guitar I'd be willing to travel thousands of miles and across multiple continents to steal! :D Seriously, that is one beautiful guitar, and it has everything I like: figured wood, a reverse headstock, recessed Floyd, no tone knob, a humbucker in the bridge, a single coil in the neck, and DANGERMOUSE!#@T$

Should you ever decided to sell that beauty, keep me in mind. I'm completely serious.

GBT

Well i'm in Las Vegas for SEMA autoshow in November - if i'm bored with it by then i'll ask the pilot to take a detour B)

One thing i'd like to ask GBT - where did you see Dangermouse, i didn't think it was ever syndicated in the US ?