First Build: Chambered Tele

Came across a big slab of really nice mahogany from a fireplace surround ripped out when we moved house. It sat in the garage forgotten, for the last three years. Decided it was about time to move up from ebay partscasters.

The plan is a chambered thinline, mahogany body, maple top, maybe piezo saddles, P90 soapbar pickups.

woody1.jpg

Here's the start of the project. Big mistake number 1: cutting out the shape before sanding away all the crap, oops grain goes across the body width and not longitudinal.

http://www.niw-files.com/alheeley/music/woody4.jpg

With only a basic set of tools available, I started on the body chambers with a drill and chisel. Hard work.

More prep for the back, a few coats of tung oil, some wet'n'dry 600 grit, more tung oil, the back is starting to build up a nice rich shine. Here's my two strips of flame maple top I just ordered, ready for gluing together and sanding down.

http://www.niw-files.com/alheeley/music/woody3.jpg

Got myself a decent router, getting slowly used to working with it and the importance of good template prep.

After a week's hols I spent all day on her today, got the body chambers finished and stuck the top on.

http://www.niw-files.com/alheeley/music/woody6.jpg

Shaved all the sides flush so the top fits perfectly. (well as perfectly as I can...)

A few more coats of red mahogany stain and dark oak stain, more sanding, smoothing and the control cavity routed in the back. Also made a start on the neck pocket.

Wow, this project is mopping up hours and hours. The maple top is just about finished, tomorrow I'll start laying on the Tru-oil.

The back needs some work, it's been bashed about a bit with all the routing and sanding.

Edited by Maiden69

Yep, roundnose bit + router after drilling pilot holes thru from underneath.

Thx for the comments, btw!

I got the recess ctrls idea from my prs I'm afraid.

I will have a pair of conventional gold knurled metal tele knobs for master vol and master tone, with a gold les-paul type toggle switch for pup selection instead of the normal 3-way tele slider switch.

Comments and noises of encouragement much appreciated!

I actually posted 4 separate posts, each with 1 pic on but the forum cleverly joined them all together for me. So sorry about that.

Unfortunately the craftsmanship on the small details leaves a lot to be desired, I'm learning lots of stuff 'on-the-hoof', and making quite a few mistakes on the way. (no close-up detail pics!)

This body is heading for 2 x P90's I'm afraid. I guess if I don't like 'em I can slot in a couple of PAF humbuckers later.

Its a gold hardtail strat-type bridge, but I guess the same principal is involved, only I don't have a small drill long enough.

[update] Tried last night to drill a small hole through to the ctrl cavity, the drill bit snapped off inside the wood. I need a thin drill at least 6" long to get in there :D

Edited by al heeley

Its a gold hardtail strat-type bridge, but I guess the same principal is involved, only I don't have a small drill long enough.

[update] Tried last night to drill a small hole through to the ctrl cavity, the drill bit snapped off inside the wood. I need a thin drill at least 6" long to get in there :D

Into the pickup cavity and follow the pick up wires into the control cavity ? You should be able to do this with a fairly short drill.

Jem :D

Progress Update.

Pickup cavities routed for the P90's, and long holes drilled thru to the ctrl cavity for the wiring. Bridge rout for grounding wire done with a new 150mm longer drill bit, and a little ctrl plate cover knocked up from a maple offcut.

Started to apply a few coats of Tru-Oil. Here's a shot with the bridge and the gold knurled knobs in place.

http://www.niw-files.com/alheeley/music/woody7.jpg

My P90's have just arrived, plus all the other hardware I ordered. Electrics are done. The body needs more finishing and I haven't got a neck sourced yet, but we are getting there

http://www.niw-files.com/alheeley/music/woody8.jpg

Only one pic per post, this doesn't mean to post multiple posts with one pic each a few minutes apart!!!

Edited by Maiden69

Only one pic per post, this doesn't mean to post multiple posts with one pic each a few minutes apart!!!

I have a question: these 2 posts were actually couple of days apart, so how do I add a new post (with a pic) without the forum automatically merging them into one, if there have been no other replies in between?

I have a question: these 2 posts were actually couple of days apart, so how do I add a new post (with a pic) without the forum automatically merging them into one, if there have been no other replies in between?

I don't think it's possible. I'd suggest using thumbnails or just linking the pictures. Very sweet top, keep up the great work!

I was refering for the first 4 posts at the start of the thread. This is why the board merged them.

On the one a day apart, I merged them, and the pics were linked because they were too big per forum rules.

I would just go ahead and post it, the Mods are aware of the software glitch, it's not your fault.

I would post them, but it will get edited anyway.

The fist 4 pics/posts were all posted separately, albeit a few minutes apart. I have not seen this on any forum before where consecutive posts get merged together. Anyway, sorry for the hassles, I'll try to avoid oversized future pics but I can't seem to stop consecutives getting merged together, it seems unrelated to time gap between posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Body nearly finished now, all the hardware fitted and electrics done. Got a neck off ebay but pretty unhappy about it (building my own is a bit ambitious for me at this stage). The neck has a bit too much of a twist in it, very disappointing, been stalking ebay for 3 weeks to get an affordable neck.

She's finally finished: my first build (not neck!). Routing of pickup cavities and neck pocket leave a lot to be desired. She needs a good setup and fret dress now, I need to deepen the p'up cavities a bit, but she is sweet and resonant, plays nicely unplugged, and the neck P90 is fat and warm. I made a lot of mistakes and learnt a hell of a lot, and I have really caught the bug for making another a lot better learning from all the errors I made on this one.

woody9.jpg

Thanks to all the forum members for the tips and guidance on this, I would not have dared to build a guitar if it wasn't for you lot. :D

sweeeeeeet!

nice work!