That Warwick Sound

I think there's a great deal of difference in opinion as to what the "Warwick sound" is, and there probably isn't one. Maybe voodoo.

To me, the "Warwick sound" is this:

0:57 through to 1:27 - an Infinity played through a Warwick (Pro IX?) valve head and cab setup.

So WHAT is that grind? Is it the instrument, amp, outboard, good EQing or just (wait for it) a bassist chunking into the strings HARD? I think the latter more than anything.

its all of the above, + a pick, would sound different if played with fingers

I think there's a great deal of difference in opinion as to what the "Warwick sound" is, and there probably isn't one. Maybe voodoo.

To me, the "Warwick sound" is this:

0:57 through to 1:27 - an Infinity played through a Warwick (Pro IX?) valve head and cab setup.

So WHAT is that grind? Is it the instrument, amp, outboard, good EQing or just (wait for it) a bassist chunking into the strings HARD? I think the latter more than anything.

NIGHTWISH!!! You're damn right! :D :D

Sorry, just about my favorite band on the planet. And yes that's a Pro IX head. So I see that my opinion of a good Warwick sound is the same as yours. Yeah, I won't deny that the playing style is a big factor. I'd definitely want to experiment with the woods they use too, especially since ovangkol is pretty foreign to my experience.

I'm sure that it's not a voodoo-wood though. I've heard nothing but good things about the use of ovangkol, but then again the same applies to bubinga, wenge, rosewoods....

I believe that Warwick use solid building fundamentals and don't skimp or cut corners. You don't find a low-end Warwick which is a basswood body and "xxx Designed" pickups. You get good wood, good design, good electronics and purpose-built hardware. Even the most basic of Warwicks (say, Vampyre SN?) has better build features than most off-the-shelf name brand instruments.

Manufacturers that don't pander to the amateur market are few and far between. I was surprised when Warwick introduced the "Rockbass" line. That said, the real deal Warwicks are still the real deal.

On the subject of grind, I was fascinated by the Thunderbird voodoo for a while till I built my own with a few basic common sense improvements. Old growth mahogany central laminate, two wenge laminates and mahogany outers and wings. Plenty of weight on the headstock and a three-point bridge with EMG35-DCs. Man, does that bass grind.

I would have to say that I subscribe to the school of tone being as good as your weakest link. Factor them out and you raise the bar.

Yeah, I do like Warwick's building philosophy. That's the reason I love Carvin so much, too. They are always committed to quality, there's no such thing as a crappy Carvin (in my experience). And they're still small enough to give great one-on-one support if need be.

The Rock Bass isn't all that bad. It's no real Warwick, true, but I'd say it's definitely one of the best "economy" brands out there, a la Epiphone or Squire or another "lower tier" that a good brand puts out.

Manufacturers that don't pander to the amateur market are few and far between. I was surprised when Warwick introduced the "Rockbass" line. That said, the real deal Warwicks are still the real deal.

I too was surprised about the rockbass line. but I never knew how big or small warwick was. I guess most of the higher end companies will do this, just a matter of time as theres just not a big calling anymore for highend guitars and basses.

From what rumors I hear or have heard Hamer is about to maybe be sold to Fender???? I am a big Hamer fan and I would hate to see it go the way of Jackson when Fender gets there hands on them??

Wow, talk about bringing up my long since dead threads. The bass this thread was to help me on has long since been done and shipped to my friend. The bubinga I think had a HUGE influence on the sound. This bass REALLY dug! I play slap pretty exclusively and it sounded AMAZING on this bass! The guy who owns it plays metal and he says he can't find better tone. If you're wondering what bass, search through my topics and you'll find it.

Chris