Padauk Neckthrough

Super nice - I love the way padauk pops when you add finish to it. That ribbon figure can be as jaw dropping as any quilt or flame figure, and the colour is beautiful.

Nice one!

Thanks Setch,

Yes that padauk is really nice and the way that grain looks after it was sprayed was better than expected.

Mike :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well the finishing is still being done you know how that goes, one coat at a time.....one coat at a time.....one coat at a time.....one coat at a time.....and so on..Then sand and sand and sand.........you get the idea.

The hardest part is filling in the pores of the padauk man they run deep......... :D

dsc00504fd5.jpg

More pics soon

I LOOOVEE the color of padauk. my neck is a lam mainly made of padauk.

my only voice of concern is to NOT let it be in the sun, over time if left exposed the bright red will brown. I hear marine laq. may do a better protection job, but mine will spend its off time either in its case or with a neck sock.

Wow. It looks like this is gonna be one killer guitar! :D Those woods and the body shape are very elegant, and your workmanship looks very clean. The right hardware would make this one top notch instrument!

Are you finishing it in nitro? What did you grainfill with? I looked through the old posts, but couldn't find that info.

Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!

Mike - i'm considering finishing the bass i'm building with Rustin's Plastic Coating (2 part cold cure lacquer) although my concerns lie purely with the pore structure of padauk. Will it sink into the pores a lot or should I grainfill? Popular opinion says that it fills and seals nicely so I suspect two coats would be enough. Perhaps one coat over a grainfill?

Wow. It looks like this is gonna be one killer guitar! B) Those woods and the body shape are very elegant, and your workmanship looks very clean. The right hardware would make this one top notch instrument!

Are you finishing it in nitro? What did you grainfill with? I looked through the old posts, but couldn't find that info.

Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!

Yes I am finishing this with Nitro, my finish of choice! Well I didn't fill the grain with anything given the fact that I didn't want to try and match the color of the Padauk.....I thought the might be a problem if the wood did it's natural thing by geting darker with age, and I didn't want the filler to stand out!!!!!!!! B)

So I just went with straight Nitro....Padauk is filling in slowly but it is coming along nicely, I really can't wait to play this thing, infact I was even tempted to string it just before I started to finish it............... :D

Thanks to all for the awesome coments on my work, if you guys have any more questions just fire away..

Mike - i'm considering finishing the bass i'm building with Rustin's Plastic Coating (2 part cold cure lacquer) although my concerns lie purely with the pore structure of padauk. Will it sink into the pores a lot or should I grainfill? Popular opinion says that it fills and seals nicely so I suspect two coats would be enough. Perhaps one coat over a grainfill?

Prostheta I am unfamiliar with that finish and you might try asking someone who has used it before. But as far as the padauk goes the grain is very deep and open like the dam grand canyon but it has some beutiful grain, and sounds awesome..If you choose to use it you wont be sorry.....Good luck!

Edited by rsguitar