Stage Presence

Hmmm, don't want to be too harsh but focus on playing, in my experience 'headbanging' is not an act, it's a result, and usually an exaggerated result of simply keeping time and getting into the groove of what you’re doing. Choreography is part of a ‘Show’ but what you’ve asked doesn’t sound like choreography and if it is, simply hire someone to teach you to dance (so to speak). And if you think most of your favorite head bangers don’t ‘dance’, you’re kidding yourself, remember it’s a show. :D

If you have long hair you could to the circular headbang, that's always a crowd-pleaser

Especially when you fall off stage due to dizzied disoriention. :D

Sometimes confused with stage-diving.

One thing i is when people look too arogant. Some claim they are expressing themselves, but even with metal, I cant stand when performers look overly angry and full of themselves. Headbanging is alright, just not arrogantly.

Just make it look like your getting into your music. Stomp, throw your body in to it, look pissed. I used to headbang alot and now, due to concussions I can't because I start to lose consiousness. Or maybe that could be your schtick. "Dude! That guy is so metal, he headbanged 'til he passed out!"

Just make it look like your getting into your music. Stomp, throw your body in to it, look pissed. I used to headbang alot and now, due to concussions I can't because I start to lose consiousness. Or maybe that could be your schtick. "Dude! That guy is so metal, he headbanged 'til he passed out!"

Yeah, good luck trying to get paid because you couldn't finish the show due to brain damage. :D

I usually headbang because I am so into it. But it is a bit harder since I shave my head. Yet, I digress...

But I did read an interview with Ace Frehley and he said that when he would just let it all out and run around like a madman everyone would tell him he played a great show. But when he would tone it down and concentrate on his playing, he would get told he had an "off" night.

Sort out your playing before going on stage; you shouldn't have to slow down and concentrate on your part. Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Aside from that, just have fun. If you're that active on stage, don't eat before the show, and make sure you know a good masseuse.

I love to headbang. I don't do it playing guitar, but being a bassist and ergo 1/2 of the rhythm section it just comes naturally. I wouldn't sacrifice the quality of my playing just for the visual aspect.

That's what rock move #47 is about - pulling out of a handbang by flicking your hair back so you can then eyeball your left hand for a complex bit.

Enter rock move 48.

IMHO, I think headbanging looks ridiculous. Usually it looks like they are trying to look cool, but they don't. Just do your own thing instead of worrying about what people think. The coolest thing you can see at a live show is somebody being themselves 100% and looking completely effortless at what they are doing.

I always liked Petruccis deer in the headlight look like he's looking through you. Then he gets a little mad face when he does a wicked bit, then back to the computer processing or whatever the hell he's doing in there.

IMHO, I think headbanging looks ridiculous. Usually it looks like they are trying to look cool, but they don't. Just do your own thing instead of worrying about what people think. The coolest thing you can see at a live show is somebody being themselves 100% and looking completely effortless at what they are doing.

I always liked Petruccis deer in the headlight look like he's looking through you. Then he gets a little mad face when he does a wicked bit, then back to the computer processing or whatever the hell he's doing in there.

What type of music do you play?

Each to their own man. I do it because it's an expression of the music we play. If music can't make you move and groove or raise an emotion or two then it certainly isn't music! Our music makes people jump, mosh, dance, whatever, so cool. Being one of the focal points of the band "front of house" as bassist (in my case) you're an ambassador for the groove and people cue off you. You groove, they groove.

I agree with you in a lot of ways Komodo in that a lot of metal bands do it because it's "expected" and it then looks cheesy and makes me cringe, whereas I find that when it's appropriate it becomes a further extension of the music.

I can't think of what else a metaller could do onstage. Morris dancing or Scotch jigs would kind of kill the mood y'know?

macgyver.gifMcGyver says "music is evil, boyo"

I agree, in that a lot of metal bands look like complete goons doing it to look hard, pose or whatever. I do it because it's an extension of the music we play, and audiences cue off that. If we're having a good time, they have a good time. If music doesn't make you move and groove or feel something then there's something wrong :-)

Hell, I can jig whilst playing bass Les Claypool style but that's just a mood thing man. The left leg must be let loose!!

<edit: oops, page timed out on me when i posted that so I didn't think it had been posted and I rewrote it! sorry!>

Edited by Prostheta

I agree with you in a lot of ways Komodo in that a lot of metal bands do it because it's "expected" and it then looks cheesy and makes me cringe, whereas I find that when it's appropriate it becomes a further extension of the music.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I could care less what anyone else does. But you hit it on the head, it's more of the "are you REALLY feeling that or are you trying to act like that because that's what you're supposed to do?"

That's all I was saying . . personally i think it looks cheeseball most of the time and I do a big eyeroll. Steve Harris certainly wasn't (isn't?) faking it . . .swinging his head in a huge circle like a propeller. He's giving birth to each note with his head and shooting it at you.

But I tell ya, it's better than what a bunch of the 80's hair metal bands were doing . . . :D

Prostheta-your icon creeps me out, and i dig the tracks on your page! Cool guitar sound, kinda old skool.

Edited by komodo