8-string Guitar

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote bottoms too. Your body has a general 'downward' movement going (top left to bottom right) which is nicely balanced by the 'upward' (bottom left to top right) movement of the headstock. tou might want to narrow the headstock just a tad so you can have straight string pull, which would make it look less cluttered.

I kinda like how the bottom horn looks like a sword \m/

...unless the classic acoustic busker's trick of a strap which is tied to the headstock instead of the heel biggrin.gif

It would definitely be a nightmare to watch out for on the balance side of things. I'm worried about my Iceman, and that's only a sixer with a walnut body and mahogany neck!!

MacGyver says:

macgyver.gif"Balancing that monster would require an ebony body and a basswood neck with nickel/helium frets polyalloy and a lead weight in the control cavity!"

I dont think the guitar is really that different from most explorer's the neck is Maple and already in the works

Im going to build a template and see how the thing will sit

Hears the neck blank (rember im not building this neck)

neck100_2367.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

^ lol how do you play a 7 string or 8 string guitar?.....you just do...hahah....i learned on 6's and now i play sevens.....i can play both...you just have to open your mind a little more when playin 7.....after all its only one more string.

plus i play sevens because i tune to A so its a little ruff on my lp cuz i have to keep setting it up.

Playing seven-strings ain't no thing. It feels pretty normal to me. Those eight strings seem a little wide in the neck for me though. It seems the way a lot of people use those extra strings, they just ignore the highest strings and jam heavy riffs on the low end of things, which is cool but at that point you might as well make a six-string barritone to get your low tunings. Still, it seems to really open a lot of doors for people who take the time to learn it as a new instrument.

I snagged an EMG-45DC at less than retail. Ask around, I'm sure somebody on here knows a friendly retailer that can help you out on that. I paid about a 1/3rd less than GRP :-)

Im sure if I looked around I could find one cheep BUT wheres the fun in never trying any thing new just because its safe :D I really want to see what the mighty might will do

So am I. Any chance you can post soundclips of the results when it happens?

Ive never been able to do that right!! :D but I can try again, I'll try a test run with the Impaler

Ok now It comes to it!! Im going to need wood for the body but Im worried about the Low F#, I don't want the F# to be all farty and flat sounding, or twangy I hate that too, Im thinking a a very Hard Wood something dence

Alder

Basswood

Swamp ash

Maple

Mahogany

Im just not sure :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Go with maple. Some of the best basses for low-tuning (read Alembic) are made of maple and I think it'll help with your balance issues. The thing is, yes, maple is bright, but you're running a low f# and you don't want it to get farty or flabby. So I'd go with maple.

Ya Ive been thinking about Maple Ive done a few bodies with it and Ive Loved the sound BUT I was also thinking about Purpleheart!! My first Impaler has a Purpleheart top and Im nuts about the sound that beast puts out

So Im thinking that its going to be Maple or Purpleheart, Im leaning towards Maple its much easer to Finish

no Grain to fill Its easy to work with and I know its a bright wood and thats what I love for the High Gain

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I would go w/ swamp ash... The only one I'd avoid is mohaganny. I've never played a solid maple guitar so I can't say on that. It might be a good call just because of balance issues. I'd imaging w/ the active pickups you're gonna be straight w/ anything tone-wise.

It might be a good call just because of balance issues

Ya I think Its going to be Maple!! I think that having the heavy body will at least work in my favor as far as sound and balance issues :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I'd do some research on extended range guitars / basses first. Rusty Cooley's Conklin 9-string was Swamp Ash. Conklin also makes a great deal of 7-9+ string basses with Swamp Ash as well. I doubt you'll have a problem with the F# as long as the scale is big enough and you have the right pickups. :D