First Refinish

RGman

Well it's not a jem or anything spectacular, its an cheap Ibanez RG170 (non fr)

jennysdrawings089.jpg

Well as you can see there is more white than colour, but i like it and i think its not too bad for a first try at swirling, certainly beats the nasty original saphire blue paint job!

another pic...

and another...

again, another...

For this swirl, i used a series of blues, thats basically it. The paints used were Humbrol enamel model paints.

All of these pics were litererally taken seconds after it was removed from the wheelie bin i used to dip the RG in.

So, any critisism? any comments? did i fail?

Edited by RGman

I like how this one turned out.

Sometimes subtlety produces much better results, and in this case I think that holds up extremely well.

Glad to hear the pool wasn't used for the dipping. :D

cheers, Stu :D

looks okay... just dont use enamel for topcoat because those things never dries hard! Also if you plan on using lacquer on top of enamel make sure to test it because enamel is very picky about what goes over it. I had those 99 cent walmart enamel wrinkle on me just cause I recoated at the wrong time!

I'll second this. I have had lots of problems with enamel messing up on me testing out different top coats.

That looks really cool! The swirl effect is very subtle and tasteful. Please keep us updated on how the clear coating goes as I plan on trying something like this myself for my next project.

Hi, i have about 3 or 4 clear coats on now, no problems at all!

I will have pictures soon for you all.

:D:D

Thats pretty sweet. Did you just follow the directions on the tutorials page?

Pretty much, just different paints and colours.

I'm actually suprised it worked, i hear all of these stories of peoples first attempts failing.

i really REALLY like it

Thanks! I am very happy with it, i have also swirled my single coil with blue, green and red paints which works well with the blues.

I can't wait to attack the next guitar, at the moment i am looking at buying an old washburn MG24, which is in amazing condition for its age and will look great with swirl like my 'subtle' swirl.

Coincidentally, the MG is also sapphire blue :D

• 2 months later...
I have a quick question, how many clear coats should i do? Is there amount that is concidered the "norm" for painted guitars?

The goal is to put on -just- enough coats to achieve a level surface after sanding/buffing.

The exact number will vary with your clear and how thick you are putting it on.

Edited by Godin SD