Figured Mahogany

jay5

That stuff looks to good it must be photoflame :D thats some coooooool wood man B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

$6.50 is a good price for good quality 8/4 Genuine/Honduran Mahogany. Figured Mahogany at that grade would command $300-$400 set for acoustic back and sides(about 1.25bd. ft. give or take). Definately a nice find in a bulk lumber purchase.

Peace,Rich

P.S. I find figured boards on rare occasions in mixed lumber (usually quilt), but I have never run across flame that tight, strong and flawless.

I lucked out in the mahogany department too today. Went to my first lumber yard and dug through some piles of african mahogany and found and bought this:

africanmahogany.jpg

Ribbony and strange cross-hatching. I got an almost 13 foot board (1" thick, 6.5" wide) of it for a nice price.

Cut it to three 40" ones, and one 34" one to make two neck blanks with.

Keep in mind... that's it's figure in still slightly rought form... just wait til I send it through a drum sander or put some naftha/water/finish on it :D

Chris

Oh who am I kidding!? I wetted it down with some naftha....

whoamikidding.jpg

Chris

Nice piece Chris! Believe it or not, we pay about $4 a bf for African mahogany, which is what thais stuff was. I think the guys missed it because in the rough, the only place you could see any figure was on the sides, and its so damn even it just looks like planer chatter (or jointer chatter as it would have been). As far as finish, it is just clear, no tint or dye. Thanks for all the kind words!

That's some awesome-looking mahogany figure there. Honestly, and I realize this is bias speaking, but that's wasted on electric guitars. That would've gone straight to acoustic back/side sets if I'd found it.

Craziest mahogany-esque stuff I've got is some quilt sapele:

ms_sap_009_002.jpg

Wasn't cheap, but it is absurdly pretty. Has the tap tone of cardboard, though, to be completely honest about it....

Wow mattia that is some amazing wood! That quilt is better than any quilt I've seen on maple.

I'd hate to bend those sides though. I know figured maple and koa cracks really bad but I wonder about sapele...

This Sapele bent pretty well. Took the bends well no signs of wanting to crack. Of course it is more of a Pomelle/Quilt. click. Sorry for the bad pic it is an old progress shot.

Peace,Rich