Through Neck Sg

ok ok, i know i said i was going to keep everyone waiting until i was finished spraying, but i lied!

This is the guitar after spraying four coats of a laquer/stain mixture and then wetsanding it with 400 grit sandpaper and water a few days later. The finish looks somewhat dull because of the wetsanding, but the final finish will be highly polished and buffed to a mirror finish. I still need to do at least 2-3 more coats this week, and then wait for about a week for the finish to cure before I can solder in all of the electronics and play it! The pictures aren't that great unfortunately.

fourcoatsoffinish.JPG

I made a truss rod cover and punched my initials in (JJ) also:

Truss rod cover

Edited by wwwdotcomdotnet

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got another 3-4 coats on the guitar last Friday. I added black stain to the cherry red with the laquer and also ended up doing a burst with it, which my friend convinced me to do on a whim, but I am really happy with the results especially since I have never liked bursts haha. I stained the headstock black to match the burst edge color as well. Once I wetsand and buff the finish I will post pictures, and then again once the guitar has all the parts on it later this week or this weekend

I'M SO EXCITED!!! ITS FINALLY DONE!

Cool! I've been watching this build and its helped me learn about making neck-throughs, so thank you. It is also good how you were able to overcome different problems. This was a great build and I can't wait to see your next projects. Also, I thought it looked cool when you started finishing it, but now with that black burst around the edges it looks even better. Great job!

Cool! I've been watching this build and its helped me learn about making neck-throughs, so thank you. It is also good how you were able to overcome different problems. This was a great build and I can't wait to see your next projects. Also, I thought it looked cool when you started finishing it, but now with that black burst around the edges it looks even better. Great job!

thats awesome to hear, im glad my experiences making this guitar could help! im really excited about the burst on it too, my friend was pushing me to do it and i finally gave in. im glad i did

When I made my first guitar I glued a maple cap on to a basswood body. When it dried I noted that the cap had distorted under the clamps and had lifted at the edges. The only way to save the basswood was to remove the cap. That was pretty easy as the clamping was so crap that the cap was not on too tight. When the cap was removed a couple of spots where the glue had taken caused some bad tear outs. I took the basswood to my local wood shop and they cleaned it up so it was smooth. The downside was that the basswood was now 3mm thinner. I thought at the time "no problem its only 3mm it won't make any differance. I put a new cap on , the same thickness as the first one and completed the guitar.

3mm make a big differance to the feel of the body and to this day 15 years later it annoys me. People pick it up, people that know about guitars and the first thing they always say is "this feels thin", yeah about 3mm . Mate a cock up is a cock up ,you could have done a finish worthy of a PRS private stock and it would still look wrong . You did a good job on the finish and the general work is good but the mistake stands out like dogsballs. Instead of owning a guitar that would hold its own up against USA made production guitars lined up in Manny's you have joined the very large membership of people who own homemade looking guitars. Welcome to the club My Friend .

I think your finish turned out great on this one. I really, REALLY like it. I just built an SG that I need to finish yet (check out my posts and let me know what you think of it), and my dad suggested doing a red burst into black. I had something else in mind, but after seeing yours, I think I might try it.

I hate to say it, but that 19-fret fingerboard sticks out like a sore thumb. I was wondering why someone would do that, and then after reading further back in your thread, I realized that this was a mistake. I really wish you would have considered your other options before chopping the end off of the fingerboard, like cutting a block to sit under the protruding end of the board. I think it would have looked much better. But hey, hindsight is always 20/20...

But on the bright side, the finish is awesome, and it plays well, that's all that really matters. I guess it really is a "custom" guitar. Nice work!

:D Cam

you have joined the very large membership of people who own homemade looking guitars. Welcome to the club My Friend .

thats the point, it is a homemade guitar. i have no regrets, and the fact that it is homemade and plays well is all i need to be happy. i am a go with the flow person, and believe me, i am not bothered with anything that happened along the way. the fact is, the guitar looks great to me, and plays great. i am not trying to impress you. the only reason i posted here was for feedback, of which i got negative and positive.

Wow, what an awesome color! The guitar really came out awesome! My only comment is that I'd feel kinda restricted by the 19 frets. Not that I use them all the time anyways, I just like knowing I have 2 full octaves to slide up and down :D But man, the blend of all those reds.... :D Congrats.

So I take it that, because of the neck through and the fact that you recessed the bridge, you don't have a neck angle (I admit I haven't read all 8 pages), is that correct? I'm planning my second build, and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to build a neck angle into my neckthrough blank... Something to ponder.

But anyways, it came out really sharp. Hope it treats ya nicely!

Wow, what an awesome color! The guitar really came out awesome! My only comment is that I'd feel kinda restricted by the 19 frets. Not that I use them all the time anyways, I just like knowing I have 2 full octaves to slide up and down :D But man, the blend of all those reds.... :D Congrats.

So I take it that, because of the neck through and the fact that you recessed the bridge, you don't have a neck angle (I admit I haven't read all 8 pages), is that correct? I'm planning my second build, and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to build a neck angle into my neckthrough blank... Something to ponder.

But anyways, it came out really sharp. Hope it treats ya nicely!

thank you!

you're right, i did not have a neck angle. i would recommend doing one though by gluing your body wings slightly angled to the neck, which i am doing with my next guitar. not having a neck angle does not effect the playability of the guitar though, my action is great, its just maybe not as ideal while standing and playing, but i can barely notice.

Hmm, that's an interesting way to go abotu the neck angle, but is there any guarantee that the wood will glue and dry at that angle? I had to actually BONDO my guitar body because the wings didn't dry straight. I sanded them with a huge block and bondo'd the low spots, because I didn't have access to a planer. I was thinking of drawing out my blank on the side of the maple and taking into account a 2 degree neck angle, then cutting it out. I just like the feel of the neck angle, even though it isn't all that much, just keeps the neck a bit closer to your body. I agree with ya, it feels much better sitting down and playing a guitar with no neck angle.

Hmm, that's an interesting way to go abotu the neck angle, but is there any guarantee that the wood will glue and dry at that angle? I had to actually BONDO my guitar body because the wings didn't dry straight. I sanded them with a huge block and bondo'd the low spots, because I didn't have access to a planer. I was thinking of drawing out my blank on the side of the maple and taking into account a 2 degree neck angle, then cutting it out. I just like the feel of the neck angle, even though it isn't all that much, just keeps the neck a bit closer to your body. I agree with ya, it feels much better sitting down and playing a guitar with no neck angle.

that is a great way of doing it too actually, i think thats how ill do my next one

• 4 weeks later...

After watching this thing get built first hand (including the screwups), playing it, watching it played live, I can tell you it looks and feels like a bit more than just a homemade guitar. It is just a homemade guitar, but it really does play beautifully. Seeing it played on stage, I saw a number of people in the crowd pointing out the guitar and saying things like "dude, that things sick, I havn't seen an SG like that," and they didn't even know he had built it himself. The colors look absolutely incredible - some of the pictures don't do it justice. I know there are way better guitars out there, and lots of people in this forum who create masterpieces, but I gotta say, this guitar is a beautiful monster. This being his first build, he made mistakes, sure, but the thing still turned out great. Based on this work, I can't wait to see the finished two guitars he's doing now. My bet is that the hallow body he's working on is going to be insane.

Yeah nice job on the whole thing. I totally know what screwing up the FB is like. I cut off the first fret by accident thinking it was actually the nut... good thing I figured it out before I did the neck joint. but I could've easily ended up with a short-scale, 23 fret guitar. anyway nice work, esp. on the finish

• 2 months later...