Les Paul Style Guitar

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! that finish is flawless, I don't like to do translucent coats only, I feel that there is a lot of the 3d of the maple that gets lost that way, it really turned out like a Gibson! I used the same colors you did on my bass, but I stained first, link I just went a little more "orange than amber for the center.

I'm working on a SC too right now, I was looking for a piece like yours for mine, but I went with quilt. I like the carve in yours, very nice and round, I like mine a little more pronounce, so I did a single plane angle instead of the 3 angle Gibson style!

Very nice! that finish is flawless, I don't like to do translucent coats only, I feel that there is a lot of the 3d of the maple that gets lost that way, it really turned out like a Gibson! I used the same colors you did on my bass, but I stained first, link I just went a little more "orange than amber for the center.

I'm working on a SC too right now, I was looking for a piece like yours for mine, but I went with quilt. I like the carve in yours, very nice and round, I like mine a little more pronounce, so I did a single plane angle instead of the 3 angle Gibson style!

I agree about the staining vs spraying color argument, but I haven't been able to come up with any ideas on how to stain the top and still do the scraped binding. When you mention the 3 angle gibson style angle, are you talking about the surface for the neck/pups/and bridge? If so, I didn't do a three angle plane on this one, it's one steady angle from infront of the bridge through the neck joint.

That is uber-nice! Very clean binding scrape! I imagine you shot a few coats of clear first before your color coats, would that be right?

I like the toggle switch sans switch ring, just like the early 50s goldtops.

Yes I sprayed a few coats of clear before starting the color and I always have hated the switch ring on les pauls.

I agree about the staining vs spraying color argument, but I haven't been able to come up with any ideas on how to stain the top and still do the scraped binding. When you mention the 3 angle gibson style angle, are you talking about the surface for the neck/pups/and bridge? If so, I didn't do a three angle plane on this one, it's one steady angle from infront of the bridge through the neck joint.

Spray seal the binding! If you look at this picture you will see that the binding is sealed already! I did this one the same way I did the bass. I taped the outline of the binding from the inside and used CA glue to seal the binding! Myka does it be applying laquer, this will soak on the maple and won't let the stain soak to the binding area! very easy to do!

On the angle, yes I mean the neck pup and bridge! Maybe you did one but as you carved you introduced a second in the bridge are, there is no way that you can place a TOM without recessing if you don't! It is minimum, because i can see the TOM very close to the bottom, unlike LPs.

Spray seal the binding! If you look at this picture you will see that the binding is sealed already! I did this one the same way I did the bass. I taped the outline of the binding from the inside and used CA glue to seal the binding! Myka does it be applying laquer, this will soak on the maple and won't let the stain soak to the binding area! very easy to do!

I have heard of sealing with laquer before staining, but how do you get that perfect 1/16" on the top of the guitar?

I use 3M vynil tape, I get it as close to perfect as I can, I don't believe in an exact measurement, usualy I just sand the edge clean on natural bindings(what I did on the bass) but on the SC I did tapes a fine line! if I was using actual binding them it would ba a complete different situation. Go to Myka's website and he have a few in progress pics very detailed!

• 11 months later...

Marcovois, I'm curious to know if there is a distinct toneal differance between the west coast to the east coast maple top?I was curious as to the best woods for bright sound and killer sustain, thanks Chris.

Marcovois, I'm curious to know if there is a distinct toneal differance between the west coast to the east coast maple top?I was curious as to the best woods for bright sound and killer sustain, thanks Chris.

If there is any difference I would say that since East coast maple is harder, it would be brighter.