Zebra Wood Fingerboard?

Yes, I've seen zebrawood used for fingerboards before and I think they look pretty nice. I believe warmoth offers zebrawood in their necks, and if they do it I can't see a reason why you can't. And welcome to the forum. :D

remember that there are 2 woods commonly reffered to as "zebrawood"

one of them is soft and weak...with small stripes running ribbonlike through the length of the board,the other being super hard,dense,and with "patches" of color....

the dense one is what might besuitable,but i have never relly considered it because i don't like the look...it is too "glam rock, fur coat wearing,silver chain,pimp hat" type stuff for me

I'm not one of the pros here, but I've used zebrawood with good results:

bass.jpg

Hard to tell in this pic, but the fretboard on my bass is zebrawood(zebrano?). I wasn't sure about it's suitability at the time, so it is bound, oiled(with the stewmac fretboard oil), and the fret slots all got a dab of titebond in the hopes of firming up the sides of the slots. Maybe unnecessary or ineffective, but I decided to try everything I could think of.

I have since seen a couple instruments on the net with zebrawood fingerboards. I think they look great.

I'll see if I can find a close-up pic when I get home tonight.

thanks for the welcomes :D awesome im number 9000 and im currently doing my first build waiting for my neck(im being lazy buying a neck.) but for a month ive been very interested in guitar building and am already thinking about project number two where i will build the neck. i found free plans for a guitar called the chicken wing and i thought it looked pretty cool so that will be build number two i have pictures of my progress on my first build if anyones interested in looking. its gonna be a left handed delonge signature fender when its finished i hope.

cut out and routed out waiting for neck to come so i can make neck pocket

12-25-06_2032.jpg

with strap buttons and jack in

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...-25-06_2102.jpg

P.S. ill take some pics of that zebra wood so you can identify it. i also have mahogany maple poplar probly and some walnut i believe

oh yea and at what age did everyone start making guitars

Edited by carousel182

can zebra wood be used for fretboards because i dont feel like getting more wood and i have a zebra wood board lieing around

You don't feel like getting more wood? Wha..? I mean, how? Why? Wha..?

My poor wood-addicted brain fails to understand this.

(other than that, sure, use as fingerboard).

can zebra wood be used for fretboards because i dont feel like getting more wood and i have a zebra wood board lieing around

You don't feel like getting more wood? Wha..? I mean, how? Why? Wha..?

My poor wood-addicted brain fails to understand this.

(other than that, sure, use as fingerboard).

i thouth i was the only one with this type of addiction; im mostly an exoticholic

i prefer it flatsawn

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woo...20q60%20web.htm

i saw a piece like this once at paxton in austin...i was going to buy it but it was $350...which i thought was a little high for such a piece...i mean,it is interesting and unusual...but really pretty ugly....so i picked out some bocote instead...which is a much better wood in my estimation

plywood
Plywood???
That's the exact same reaction I had ...

Well, obviously it's nicer than plywood, and the grain is darker, but If you get a sheet of plywood that happens to have a flatsawn ply on the face, it can look similar to that. I'll admit that I haven't had a sheet that pretty, though. I'm not trying to knock the bass, but that is what it reminds me of.

• 2 weeks later...

That Jigsaw bass is fantastic.

How do you suppose he did it? There seems to be a layer of black/dark binding between each of the pieces. That's got to be a challenge to do. Then again, perhaps it's painted on afterwards. What do you think?

I'd love to have a go at making a guitar like that but I might have to wait until I've got a few more builds (and a lot more experience) under my belt.