Mockingbird I'm Building

I am building this mockingbird for some one that I work with. He supplied all of the materials and hardware with the exception of the flame maple that runs throughout the guitar. We agreed that for doing this for him I would get the scraps of what ever is left over. I have been working on this in my spare time for the past 9 months and today he calls me and asks how much of the mahogany scrap was left and what I thought he should make out of it. I replied that there was about 2-3 feet left and then reminded him that we had an agreement that I would get all of the leftovers. He then said that it was taking too long so that agreement was null and void. At this point I told him that I would bring him all of his materials and we would discuss the time that I have into the guitar as I am not leaving this situation empty handed. I need your opinions on what I should do about this situation. Attached are pics and links to pics of the guitar in question.

DSCF00692.jpg

mockingbird2

mockingbird3

mockingbird4

that guitar is much too nice for an ass like that....tell him to call bc rich andask how long it would take them to build a custom shop guitar,and how much it would cost in the end...

personally i would keep the guitar and reimburse him for the hardware and wood he paid for,then finish it for myself...

to be honest...the gall of the guy burns me up....if what you say is true anyway...

fryovanni--I am not sure that you understand fully I made the guitar from pieces of wood that he provided. Are you saying that I should just give him the scraps and keep the guitar or give him everything and get nothing for my time and effort?

I think I understood-

I am building this mockingbird for some one that I work with. He supplied all of the materials and hardware with the exception of the flame maple that runs throughout the guitar. We agreed that for doing this for him I would get the scraps of what ever is left over.

I took from that this was a buddy deal. Where you would get experience building using his wallet for materials. If there is more to the compensation that he was supposed to give you (beyond some token scrap wood* not really comp. for your time). Then that is different. What I was saying was just don't give yourself heartburn over the guitar(why waste anymore of your time with this loser). As I see it you are almost 1/3 of the way to completing that guitar. If you dump it in his lap will he have to pay someone to finish the build? Do it himself?? One way or the other it is going to cost him(he has lost everything he spent on materials if he is not capable of finishing it, so he is not going to walk away scott free after being an ass) and not you to finish it. If you finish it for a few scraps of wood (it seems like a waste of your time). I dunno... Sounds like you may have more to this than I took from your message. Just remember your personal heartburn and headaches that you may have from dealing with someone like that may hurt you more than him(and what will you gain?). Sometimes it is better to cut your losses.

Peace,Rich

personally i would keep the guitar and reimburse him for the hardware and wood he paid for,then finish it for myself...

I agree.

the price of the wood + hardware, would be nothing compared to how nice that guitar is turning out.

maybe you could finish it, then sell it, and give back the amount of money that he spent on materials and hardware, the rest is yours.

You're forgetting something--they work together. So you need to find a way out of this situation that isn't going to poison the atmosphere for you.

Tell you what, send him here. Suggest that he ask us how long it takes to build a guitar --he really needs this information, that it's a time-intensive process for most us, especially those of us who don't have much more than an hour a day to get things done. Nine months isn't a huge amount of time for a build you're doing in your spare time and all for what? A bunch of wood scraps?

Personally, I think he took advantage of you --he knew that what he's getting (a custom built guitar) is worth many times what you get (a few wood scraps and some added build experience). But since he's trying to cheap out and not go to a professional luthier (who would charge him a minimum of $2000 for this guitar), he just needs to suck it up and wait out the time it takes.

So, yeah, tell him to come here --we'll set him straight. He should be thanking you for the great work you've done so far, paying you for the maple, apologizing to you for being an ass, and offering some kind of real compensation for your efforts.

Edit: I hadn't looked at the photos when I wrote my reply. Now that I've seen them, here's what I think you should do: tell him that you'll be keeping all the hardware and the wood as compensation for the time and effort you've applied to this guitar. Of course, that won't even begin to cover what you're doing here, but it's a start. Offer to complete the build and give the guitar to him as long as he sticks to the original agreement. If he refuses, then you're in the clear. A contract is a contract, and HE'S the one breaking it.

I'm assuming of course that he's seen the work you've been doing --if he's seen this guitar, and he's still being an ass about this, just wash your hands of him --he's a bully, and bullies are pussies. He'll back down.

you definatly have some time in that thing.

I would offer to pay for the wood(50-75 im guessing) and see if he takes it, otherwise he has to pay you for the maple, all the sand paper, router bits, glue, machine time, pearl, dust masks, plus a bit for the time you wasted on his stuff and not your own.

if all that fails, cut out the maple and hand it back to him, tell him good luck...

Southpa--there was no real time limit set and I think that we both hoped that I would be finished by now, however I have a 23 month old little boy that love spending time with and I also have other projects going on that take me away from this build.

pmarlin--he did supply the quilted maple that you see on the body but there two 1/4" strips of flame maple that run the length of the guitar and the fret board is also bound with flame maple that was mine.

Mickguard--I think that I may just send him to the web site as everyone here is only getting my side of the story and if we are to be fair and impartial everyone would need to get both sides of the story.

all in all I believe that the general conscientious is that I should cut out every bit of my maple and give him back a pile of scraps. The bad part about it is that I tend to put allot of myself into my projects and it would tear me up to do so, but I guess this is the way these things sometime work out. Although beating him with the scraps does sound appealing :D

Just make it clear to him that it was not you who began causing any type of "bad feeling" about this project. Its too bad you work with him, have to see his face every day and maybe even talk to him. This sort of bad feeling can spill over at the workplace and you don't want this to affect your working relationship with him. I'm sure he feels the same way, that is, he should feel that way. In that respect, disregard my previous advice. I never did dig the partnership thing, especially where it concerns a verbal agreement. Something always goes awry and friendships, relationships etc. usually end with "bad feelings".

Tell him to visit us and read about what it takes to build a decent guitar, maybe he will reconsider his attitude.

I think you should pay him for the materials he provided, and keep the guitar for yourself. I wouldn't rip it apart! It looks so good. Basically, if there was no agreed-upon time limit for the build, I think you could take YEARS to make it, and he couldn't complain!

As Treebeard would say: "don't be hasty!" :D

I figure you've got several options:

1. Keep everything and tell him to get lost. Not the best option since you did have a deal at one point in time.

2. Cut the maple out and give everything else back. This is a revenge move since the maple is not very reusable and you'll ruin the guitar.

3. Give him what you've got so far and keep the scraps. Chances are that if he's not willing to wait 9 months for a hobbyist to build a guitar, he doesn't know how to finish it himself, and he's probably not willing to pay a pro to do it. He will end up with a useless plank of wood, and he may even come back and ask you to finish it. Tell him he has to pay if he does that.

4. Try to explain to him how good a deal he's getting. You're building a custom guitar for the cost of materials. In real world of guitar building, you get to pick two (at best) of three things: cheap, fast, and good. Looks like he's getting a good guitar for cheap... it ain't going to be fast.

Here is what I would do: try option four. If it doesn't work, go with option three. This one is the closest to your original deal.

I'm curious about this coworker thing, too. It sounds like you don't see him often. Is this true? What kind of job are you working? From your post (and I'm very sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions), it seems like you're not that old and probably not working a career-oriented job yet. If that's the case, then feel free to do what you want. Otherwise, I would be much more careful. It's never wise to make enemies in the business world.

If he agrees to give you the scraps are you willing to finish the guitar and give it to him with no further compensation? That was your arrangement(please let us know if that is not correct). Now if that is the case you have a LONG ways to go. Are you going to feel good about this build as you bring it to completion if you both follow through as planned? If it turns out really nice will you expect him to pay more than you agreed upon in the original agreement? If you make a serious mistake and destroy the material he paid for will he eat it(it was his risk when he agreed to offer materials).? You guys sound like you have de-railed and if it cuts the heartburn I would just give him the parts and pieces back and walk away. You never had any real compensation worked into your arrangement. You knew going into the build what you would get for your time. Which hopefully would be experience and a nice thank you. It didn't pan out. So cutting your losses seems prudent. Not what you want to hear, but sensable.

Good luck,

Rich

two ideas, one cheated

1)pay fro materials he gave, finish guitar and play it in work, make him see what did he lost :D make him jealous...

2)not so good, screw him and make him quit the job, or quit the job and start live like real rock'n'roll dude :D

ps: i liked idea of beating him with guitar, but guitar have done nothing bad, so pick something else to hit with(jackson stile neck)