Pictures From Namm 2007

tirapop

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9-string bases make me do this: :D Not intending to insult people here who play or make them, but I just don't get it. And they look HEEeeaaavvvyyy!

But, that's only one minor point, with the overall one being: some wicked stuff there-- thanks for sharing! It's always cool seeing what's on tap from people on the cutting edge or from companies not necessarily as huge as we're accustomed to. That "Box" guitar was very interesting; I want to know more about the one tuning knob! I wonder how it "switches gears" from one string to the next.

Greg

<looks at Jon's signature>

Heheheh! Knew I'd accidentally offend someone, but it's just my personal opinion-- I just don't get it. I think 5 (or max 6) strings is PLENTY of range for someone playing bass. That's probably for another discussion, though; I apologize for dragging it a bit O.T. I'd love to discuss it via PM or something, though, if you have the urge to convince me I'm misguided. :D

Greg

if it makes you feel any better greg i agree with you(i say,knowing the thought of agreeeing with me on anything will throw greg straight into a mid-life crisis)

:D

It's funny because it's true! I was having a great day, too, despite being at work, and BAM... unexpectedly...MIDLIFE CRISIS.

Thanks, Wes. Now I have to go buy a sports car on "no money down, no interest until 2009", get my receding hairline plugged, and have an affair with a younger woman, thereby ruining my stable relationship.

Talk about a way to ruin a guy's day. :D

Greg

that is GARY HOLT,man......gary holt...one of the godfathers of thrash.....one of the absolute best,tightest,all time ass kickinest guitarists to ever grace the stage...

the man is a rythm guitarists hero...if you have not heard exodus...you NEED to get "tempo of the damned"(the newest cd)

i realize you are joking...but it's freakin GARY HOLT man!!!!

i know you are young...but the guy is ...well,there is no guitarist of that caliber in metal to compare him to today....

Wes, Jed is the guitarist of Strapping Young Lad, Zimmers Hole and TENET. I think you'd best check out TENET's "Crown Of Thorns" if you can donate me 3-4 minutes of your time. :-)

Personally, my favourite guitars of Jed's are his Koa ESP Explorer and white ESP V. They're shown in Jed's pics section. Simplicity well executed.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...friendid=732246

<looks at Jon's signature>

Heheheh! Knew I'd accidentally offend someone, but it's just my personal opinion-- I just don't get it. I think 5 (or max 6) strings is PLENTY of range for someone playing bass. That's probably for another discussion, though; I apologize for dragging it a bit O.T. I'd love to discuss it via PM or something, though, if you have the urge to convince me I'm misguided. :D

Greg

Never offended, and I can play the majority of my band work with a 4 or 5 string bass. As a solo musician, however, I find 39 notes quite limiting. To each their own, we all have different playstyles. :D

I'll keep an eye out for NAMM pictures and see if I can find anymore.

You have to be kidding me....Dev is possibly the least serious metal musician around :-D

I think he was talking about the Exodus video, not SYL.

I, too, thought the Exodus video was, well... lame. The vocals, lyrics, and posturing just didn't do it for me. The instrumentation was undeniably tight, though, especially the guitar work. Insane guitar solo was cool, too, and the V is just killer... makes me want one.

yeah..i wasn't saying the video was all that good,i don't even think metal videos should exist,as it was more underground than that in my day,but it shows at least some of the abilities of those two guitarists...(rick hunolts is a bad dude too)

the vocalist for exodus?well,i love his voice...he is the epitome of sarcasm,which is exactly what he wants to be...i think he is perfect for exodus..but remember too that they have been around since '81? i think...and back then to be taken seriously in metal you had to take yourself seriously...it was not nearly as accepted as what it is today...trust me on that....

i remember a truckload of rednecks pulled over and beat the crap out of the guitarist for dangerous toys back in the 80s...just because he was walking down the street with long hair...and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy...i am not into glam metal,but when he was in the clubs i was at you could see the crowds thronging around him,and he was totally down to earth...really seemed to appreciate being noticed.

my point is...those old school guys put up a heavy front...it's a leftover from days gone by...but it IS a video...and thrash was always about looking mean...look at the photos in "kill em all" if you want a laugh...i love watching kirk hammett trying to look mean...

but yeah..that song in that video is not nearly the best work on the album...but it shows that those dudes really know their instruments..i love the way they swap leads in some of their songs...they go back and forth like slayer,but the lead work is much more structured