Floyd or Tune-o-Matic

YDoesGodMockMeSo

Floyd or Tune-O  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

put a floyd flush onto the body, not recessed, then you get the best of both worlds.

I think any of those options are great. I had a Fender Floyd Rose Strat that had a non-recessed Floyd and it was cool. You could only bend forward obviously but it made it easier to tune and re-string. I now have an ESP KH-2 that has the recessed Floyd. It is somewhat harder to tune because the bridge goes forward and backwards (haven't changed strings yet), but with the ability to bend forward and back it sounds a lot better. Plus, once you get it tuned it stays.

I also have a Gibson LP DC that I use as my alt tuning guitar. It has a tom/stop tail and I like that too. It's a breeze to re-string, but you can still finger bend if you want the tremelo sound. I think that the hardtail bridges look cool too and do give you more sustain with the strings going through the body.

I guess it all comes down to personal preferance. Good luck with whatever you decide. :D

i love strings-thru tune-o-matic bridges. that what bridge i am going to use for my first project. besides, they are cheaper and they sound excellent.

Page.

• 1 month later...

TOM bridge sits higher off the body so you will have to work out a few things if you want to go that route. You would either have to angle your neck (about 4 degrees) off the guitar body, raise the fretboard (which means strings will be way off the body) or recess the bridge into the guitar body. The TOM was basically designed for an angled neck, but a combination of the other two can be done if you want the neck on the same plane as the body.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know people thought floyd installations were more difficult. Out of curiosity, what about them makes it more difficult? The only part that I sweat is routing the locking nut area. That sometimes makes me nervous. Other than that, I think they are pretty easy. I certainly wouldn't avoid it if that's really what I wanted.

I think the only question is your routing ability. If you don't think it'll be a problem you could easily do the FR. The TOM is only hole drilled with a drill press which most would probably find a little easier the first time. I know I did.