Question On Swirling/ Painting

Hey, I will be attempting a swirl paint job soon and had a couple questions. First off, what is the best paint to use to get the most vibrant colors. I'm talking about the DNA or PMC swirls done for ibanez a while back. The tutorial on the site is great, but if you look the colors are dull. Anyone have experience with cool results? please post your pictures, tell of your methods, and the paints you used. Thanks!

Experiment, experiment, experiment...I am still trying to find the right green for a swirl Im planning on. Someone suggested humbrol, so I bought it, and the pink worked, but the green didnt. The pink was also metallic (didnt state it on the can). Good luck, and get some pics up when you get it right for us swirl lovers

i did mine with model enamel paint, but you have to go over this with an enamel, you should use a caylised enamel because it will be water white (ie no yellow tint) and will dry fairly hard (compared to air drying enamel) either that or use automotive acrylic and clear with a normal automotive clearcoat

Hey, I will be attempting a swirl paint job soon and had a couple questions. First off, what is the best paint to use to get the most vibrant colors. I'm talking about the DNA or PMC swirls done for ibanez a while back. The tutorial on the site is great, but if you look the colors are dull. Anyone have experience with cool results? please post your pictures, tell of your methods, and the paints you used. Thanks!

When you pick your colors you need to pic colors in the same family to keep it bright. If you allow complentary colors to mix together the will get dull. Green and Red are complementary colors and when mixed together will move towards a gray brown. So if you have a really bright red and you wanted to tone it down you would use some red to dull it. If you swirled the colors one at a time waiting for the other color to dry it would not be dull because the two colors have not mixed together.

If you used Red, pink and yellow you would not get a dulling of the colors when they mixed. look online at some color wheels and color theory to decide on the color scheme

Complementary colors

Green - Red

Yellow - Purple

Blue - Orange

• 1 month later...

Yes pretty much, I get my borax from boots, if you look in the household cleaning section you get boxes of it there. If you cant find it then ask, it will be in a white box with some blue stripes if i remember correctly. I dont use the paints they talk about though, I tried them and found them to dry far to quickly and blotch up. The humbrol stuff seems to be the best i have found sofar.

In my pictures you will see many differant swirls, most of them do NOT have white undercoats, think about how colours interact and try things out, the blue mc's have a light blue undercoat, the yellow/red/orange have a yellow undercoat and so on, you can get some really nice effects if you just try things out.

I first put coloured undercoats on when I tried the GMC, and found the white showing through, so i sprayed it green first and it came out how i wanted as the green didnt show through the black, it just made the green come out in differant shades (As shown in teh video)

Hope this helps. I may be doing some more in teh summer and if i do i will write my tutorial which I have been trying to do foor a while.

• 1 month later...
Yes pretty much, I get my borax from boots, if you look in the household cleaning section you get boxes of it there. If you cant find it then ask, it will be in a white box with some blue stripes if i remember correctly. I dont use the paints they talk about though, I tried them and found them to dry far to quickly and blotch up. The humbrol stuff seems to be the best i have found sofar.

In my pictures you will see many differant swirls, most of them do NOT have white undercoats, think about how colours interact and try things out, the blue mc's have a light blue undercoat, the yellow/red/orange have a yellow undercoat and so on, you can get some really nice effects if you just try things out.

I first put coloured undercoats on when I tried the GMC, and found the white showing through, so i sprayed it green first and it came out how i wanted as the green didnt show through the black, it just made the green come out in differant shades (As shown in teh video)

Hope this helps. I may be doing some more in teh summer and if i do i will write my tutorial which I have been trying to do foor a while.

Please help me with this!

I've had several goes at swirling now, and here are the problems:

1. The ratio of borax to water - is there a rough formula?

2. Is the water temp important?

3. Some colours just go thick and blobby, and won't really swirl on the water

4. How do you get the water droplets off after you've pulled it out?

5. How do you finish the completed paintjob? Do you sand after swirling?

Greatly appreciate any help with this!

Thanks,

DJ

BTW - you can get borax on eBay!

Edited by djhollowman

• 6 months later...

Please help me with this!

I've had several goes at swirling now, and here are the problems:

1. The ratio of borax to water - is there a rough formula?

2. Is the water temp important?

3. Some colours just go thick and blobby, and won't really swirl on the water

4. How do you get the water droplets off after you've pulled it out?

5. How do you finish the completed paintjob? Do you sand after swirling?

Greatly appreciate any help with this!

Thanks,

DJ

BTW - you can get borax on eBay!

1. I just keep on putting it in until it doesn't dissolve easily, so a lot really.

2. Wouldn't think so, i have only used cold water though.

3. Are they matte or gloss? Experiment.

4. Hair dryer will do it, though the body can drip dry too.

5. Needs to be clear coated.

Also get borax at most super markets and hardware stores.