Wez Venables Latest

WezV

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the weight and tap-tone on it?

so far i am happy it is definately a good substitute for limba as i was told by my wood supplier - pretty similar in all respects.

Apparently a lot of wood suppliers and guitar manufacturers dont even distinguish between the two but its important to me to know if this cheaper and more readily available wood from the same family is as good as the black limba i have used.

I havnt yet got over the fact that the tree that gives black and white limba is called 'Terminalia superba' whereas the idigbo is called 'Terminalia ivorensis'.

According to wiki 'Terminalia ivorensis' is called Idigbo, Black Afara, Blackbark, Brimstone Wood or Shingle Wood and 'Terminalia superba' is called limba, korina and afara.

• 2 weeks later...

Nath needs to practice his sunbursts so before stripping the tele and starting again he did this

IMG_0447.jpg

The burst certainly needs work but i think this colour scheme is promising - just not for the guy who is having this

I agree that is a pretty cool color scheme, I would prefer that the edges were a bit darker burst, just an idea. Anyone agree? Once finished it might come across darker, but as is I think a darker edge would really make the burst more visable and make the center pop out a bit more. Actually, slightly darkening the whole color then use a thin black burst edge might look good too. Anyhow, I'd be interested to see someone pull this color off, done right it could look really cool. J

Well he was quite shocked when his wife said "oh, i like that purple" - he was thoroughly convinced he was spraying black - although he could tell the difference once he had done the burst

oh wow, I assumed that you were being scarcastic & had left some purple in the spray equipment or thinned the black too much...didn't realise that the sprayer was a person! I've known people with red/green blindness but not black, that could be awkward. Apparently Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead is extremely colour blind, his brother used to mix up his crayons as a kid & get him in trouble for creating bizarre pictures.

It's not that the colours get swapped around, the colours get confused. So, in most cases, red & green will look exactly the same. If you look at these: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8833/coloreye.html you'll see just how difficult things can be if red & green look exactly the same. Now imagine trying to colour something green...is it going to be green or red?

its an inability to destinguish between colours not an inability to see colours - the most common type is red/green colourblindness - you can see red and green you just cant tell that they are any different

check out the gay pride flags on wiki for examples of how colour blind people see these things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Now with the guitar thing - black dyes quite often contain some purple anyway so nath could probably see a bit of colour but probably put it down to lacquer needing more stain. It probably looked like black/blue to him - that would have gone blacker with a few more quotes.

Nath is my cousin and both my brothers are colourblind as well so we definately have a dodgy gene in the family.

yeah, i am happier with this than the purpleburst. i just cant wait to see it levelled and buffed - it should look 100 times better.

naths wacking the clear on quite thick because he is paranoid about sanding through the burst - we normally do clear finishes.

I still think it would look best with a nice white scratchplate but the client wants to show off the wood

Just looked through this entire thread.. good lord that bass was looking mightily nice! Must say i chuckled at the purple colourblind sprayer comment and pic... lol. Great work all throughout.. i'm gonna leave my full guitar builds to when im retiring :D I'll post a new thread on here for when i start my works... i'm currently 28 so don't expect anything next week.. lol.

Great Great work.. !!! :D