Unbranded Guitar Pickups

sonicsson

Hello guys,

I was wondering if an unbranded pickup, say 3 unbranded pickups in a strat.

be good, decent enough to use at a professional level or even playing at church?

What do the manufacturers mean by 'unbranded'?

Could it be that the pickup sound will be different/original/uncommon?

Are there great unbranded pickups in the market that sound better than

the branded ones like Dimarzio, EMG etc.

Please hurry cause am confused on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

J

Edited by sonicsson

Well, can free beer be good, or does it have to come in a bottle that says "Budweiser" or a can that says "Stroh's" in order for it to be worth drinking?

There are plenty of pros who play guitars that don't have pickups branded from the Big 3. They seem to get paid just fine.

Nope, more like the "King of Beers" that's brewed from a taiwanese tea bag in a brown hole of a city located two hours north of my 20 with a big stainless steel arch that's supposed to represent the "Gateway to the West" (240 miles east of where the wagon trains actually started their westward journey). This particular city tries to tell the world they know everything about beer, baseball, and Manifest Destiny, and I resent them for it.

Nope, more like the "King of Beers" that's brewed from a taiwanese tea bag in a brown hole of a city located two hours north of my 20 with a big stainless steel arch that's supposed to represent the "Gateway to the West" (240 miles east of where the wagon trains actually started their westward journey). This particular city tries to tell the world they know everything about beer, baseball, and Manifest Destiny, and I resent them for it.

:D

...or does it have to come in a bottle that says "Budweiser" or a can that says "Stroh's" in order for it to be worth drinking?

:DB):D

Throw "Coors Light" and "Schlitz" in there while you're at it.

I'd rather drink beer. :D If it says Budweiser or Stroh's (or Coors light or Schlitz) that tells me to avoid it at all costs (even free)!

As for pickups, sure no-names can be good, but you won't know until you hook them up in your guitar, whereas with a name-brand you usually know what you're getting.

:D

Hello guys,

I was wondering if an unbranded pickup, say 3 unbranded pickups in a strat.

be good, decent enough to use at a professional level or even playing at church?

What do the manufacturers mean by 'unbranded'?

Could it be that the pickup sound will be different/original/uncommon?

Are there great unbranded pickups in the market that sound better than

the branded ones like Dimarzio, EMG etc.

Please hurry cause am confused on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

J

Hi,

There are SO many variables in this equation. If the woods, pots, wiring, amp, etc. etc. are in perfect harmony with those pickups, yes, they will sound great. HOWEVER, from my experience, you improve your odds of achieving perfect harmony if you have great pickups from a known and respected builder. If this sounds elitist, so be it. I can only speak from 42 years of experience.

Peace,

Dave

A lot of cheap pickups probably sound not-so-great because they were originally in a cheapo plywood guitar. Put 'em in a solid body, and you might be pleasantly surprised. In my experience, cheap guitar pickups are far better than cheap bass pickups (unfortunately, as I am mostly a bass player).

I thought church was all about forgiveness and love thy brother and turn the other cheek? Well, the theory's nice. Or are you worried the guy's gonna hop down off that cross and whack you with it?

Seriously, it's true, you have to try them for yourself. I don't particularly trust the boutique pickup fad, so I'm not going to tell you to go out and spend $300 on a set of those.

On the other hand, it's easy enough to find a set of Fender pickups-- buy them from someone who's installed a set of boutique pups. A set of MIM pickups won't cost much. It just makes sense to me --if I want the sound of a Fender strat, then I use Fender pickups.

One of my guitars came equipped with Mighty Mite humbuckers. They sounded pretty good. Previously, I had always swapped dissimilar pickups; for example, a Duncan Little 59 humbucker into a tele-style bridge. In any event, I thought to myself, "Well, I have a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz just sitting around, so I might as well drop those in-- surely they're better than the MM ones."

I'm frankly not fully convinced. Don't get me wrong, the JB and Jazz are fine. Good, even. They perform exactly as the SD website describes, and I have no reason to revert back to the MM. BUT, there was nothing inherently wrong with the MM pickups. They were slightly lower output, so the sound was overall a bit chimier, and they sounded very very good, actually. If I had never swapped them out, I wouldn't have been happy simply and ONLY because of knowing that I had a JB and Jazz just sitting around. But in retrospect, if I hadn't been compelled to swap them out, I WOULD have been very happy with the sound the MMs were producing. And they're not going to the "junk bin" now, either. They'll go into a guitar for sure.

Greg