Solid Body

Hello Maxim and welcome to the forum. Most solid bodies are made up from 2 pieces glued together because a one piece blank is sometimes hard to come and expensive, I find much better selection of 8'' wide lumber than say 16'' wide. If this is your first build, my advice is to use standard techniques. Why make things harder than they have to be.

Please fill in your location in your profile, thanks. -Vinny

2-piece is also used in the bookmatching process, and as an added benefit (bookmatching or not) gives you a perfect "centre line" for basing many of your measurements.

Greg

It's not only more economical, it also makes more sense! There is no PRACTICAL difference in the sound. The difference in savings between wide lumber and standard widths is so large it would cover the price of the neck wood easily.

If you're pursuing making your own guitar then slow down buddy. If you approach everything at this rate you'll end up:

- with no money left to complete the project

- disillusioned about making instruments

- minus a finger or worse

I did six months research before even buying tools. You'll write off a few "projects" before getting close to completing a project, never mind making a playable one unless you have had prior woodwork, engineering or of similar discipline experience. Don't buy the best wood off the bat. Buy cheap else you'll kick yourself when you make that one wrong measurement which writes it off.

Edited by Prostheta

I noticed on the tutorial that you glue 2 pieces of wood together for a body, can't you just use 1 big piece? :S

Main advantage of a two-piece body is - it will fit through a planer thicknesser that way. At least the type of machine we are likely to own

Not only that, but if it can fit through the planer (say 12"-13") chances are it hardly has enough power to plane it. It will either snipe frequently or get major tearout, or both! It all depends on what kind of planer you have though, my Ryobi 13" really does struggles on those wider 8"+ hardwoods (Cocobolo, Purpleheart, dense Mahogany, Bloodwood etc.)