Distortion Vs Overdrive?

ibanez_crazy

Naturally, the last show I played with my band, I smoked one of my heads, and now its time to go shopping (got my tax return the other day) Maybe I just havent been told properly, but even the guys at the guitar store cant explain the difference. Im looking into some heads, and they use both terms....but I dont know if Im looking for a kiler overdrive or killer distortion. What is the difference? Here is the list

Bogner Uberschall

VHT Pitbull

Framus Cobra

Peavey 5150 II

Krankenstein

Meteoro Mak 3000

Boogie Mark IV

Think....... bone crushing!!!

Any other suggestions would be helpfull

the vht pittbull is supposed to be pretty bone crushing distortion.but at somewhere around $3000 it is awful pricey

the 5150 is also supposed to be severely high gain,but much less versatile than the pitt bull.also much less expensive.

i just got an engl powerball recently,and it really kicks ass...sparkling clean and brutal distortion.

but do yourself a favor and look at the new marshall head...

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JVM410

it looks promising.

[edit: cross-posted with Wes... his post is more to your point]

Distortion is the end result of overdrive. :D So if an amp is "easily overdriven", then it can easily produce distortion. They're not synonymous terms, but marketing folks use them in synonymous ways. To add to the confusion, marketing types often refer to soft-clipped and lightly-distorted (often called "creamy") tones an "overdrive" sound, with harder-clipped and spikier sounds as "distortion."

A better question is-- what is the sound you're after? The marketing departments of the various manufacturers will drive you nuts... just get an amp that is known for the kind of sound you're after. Most "bone crushing" sounds won't come from what marketing types refer to as an "overdrive" sound, though you typically need to overdrive tubes to get that kind of sound. :D

Greg

right out of our list....

Bogner Uberschall - Only had a go on one for 2 mins... honestly wasnt impressed!

VHT Pitbull - Never tried that specific model, but played one of their power amps and was v. impressed

Framus Cobra - Don't go there... Some bands i know have endorsments with framus and use their support band's 5150s on tour :D

Peavey 5150 II - Not bad, not very.... versatile.... kind of a one trick pony IMO

Krankenstein - Never played one, but heard Krank amps (at an Arch Enemy gig) and they sounded wicked.

Meteoro Mak 3000 - A what?

Boogie Mark IV - A suprising one... v. versatile, from cleanest clean to stupidest metal. And build like a brick outhouse.

Laney is indeed a good idea. The VH range are good, as are the TT range.

But, Engl. For the price you're looking at, check out their special edition head (6L6 version is better than EL34 in my opinion..)

S

Perfect example VHT Pitbull....At a guitar show, and some Vintage dealer has one with matching cabinet...sign says needs tubes(microphonic) with matching cabinet 900 bucks...so I ask him, and he says...if your looking for a heavy distortion amp, this isnt it...this is one of the heaviest Overdriven amps made..blah blah blah So I didnt buy it (I wasnt looking really then anyways, but what a deal) What sound am I looking for....Can any guitarist really say they have the ultimate tone and wouldnt change a thing? A Nice range I guess Dimebag to KSE...maybe a little Static X. Dont really need an AC/DC or Sabbath tone, I can get that with one of my Marshalls.I play the kind of music that wood selection dosent make as much difference in tone(her come the arguements) :D Ive been doing my research as far as sound, Lamb of God uses Mark IV, Inflames uses modded 5150s, and I like those tones, but I would like my own definitive tone. No I havent tried any Laney's, there arent any dealers around me, actually the only amps I have tried out are the peavey and the krank because nobody stocks Uberschalls and VHT's, but Ill have to check it out. And that Marshall does look impressive. The Meteoro Mak 3000 is made in Brazil, and is the Max Cavalera Signature amp, and the tone is spot on.

Edited by ibanez_crazy

i have gotten many truly great metal tones out of different marshalls...with a pedal in front

right now i run an engl powerball through a 12 band eq and a sonic maximizer,with a tc effects rack for reverb and compression,and the sound is right where i want it

straight out of the box?no amp is likely to give you perfection...a cheap rackspace eq really helps out though

Who hasn't tried a recto? :D

Some people find them a bit fuzzy, but from my experience these are people plugging them into rubbish (marshall!) cabs. Same thing happens with high end engl amps and things like kranks. If you don't plug em into the cab designed for em they can sound a little... rubbish.

S

See, I played the Krankenstein through the Krankenstein Cab, and it too had a bit of hair on it. I would like to be able to pick out each note in a chord, and still be heavy enough to blow yer back out. The Krank dosent have that. The 6505 was my initial choice because of the price, but I dont want to compromise this time. Ill buy the 6505 if its what I want.

i totally disagree about the recto...i just find it tonally less alive than the others mentioned.

the engl sounds great through marshall 1960 vintage cabs.but then again you have to realize amps depend heavily on the style played through them.for my type of fast,technicall-ish thrashy death sort of metal,an engl or marshall(when tweaked right through an eq) is perfect.

recto is better imo for the slower kind of stuff.

I would like to be able to pick out each note in a chord, and still be heavy enough to blow yer back out.

thatls why you need a marshall or an engl.

try out the peavey jsx while you are at it...i found it a bit too noisy at the volumes i play,but you may find it more to your liking...plus it is hard to beat for the price

but do yourself a favor and look at the new marshall head...

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JVM410

it looks promising.

thats what im selling a 2203 plus saving my pennies for

have not played one yet (dont go out much) but i know my tone is in there somewhere

Edited by spazzyone

really,sound bites give you absolutely no clue to the sound of the amp....not in my experience anyway...you reallyy need to try them in person.

i got lucky with the engl amp...guy on the forum let me try his out for a couple of weeks so i could see if it was what i wanted.to be honest i have never been more impressed with the versatility of an amp...it really,really is worth trying out

plus on top of what the amp can do,you can add distortion pedals if you want to the clean channel,and it handles them really well.