My First Commission

got this today "MCS Uk: Dear Sir,after discussion we feel we have no alternative to ask you to withdraw this model or we shall issue a cease and desist as you have already stated that this is where you have got your design from.MCS Uk take forgery of a design very seriously. Feel free to contact me at mcsguitars@lycos.com. You selling designs taken from MCS guitars will not be tolerated. Thanks,Ron"

now this was posted on the guestbook on my website, NOT emailed to me in reply to an email i sent to them. this seems very odd to me. what do people think?

If you hear nothing else form this thread, hear this. If the notices your getting are not served as an official notice by an attorney (eg, you are sent an official letter in the mail which you have to SIGN FOR) it means nothing. Go about your business. You have nothing to fear legally over the issue.

Now you see why it's important to keep your mouth shut when dealing with anything that can possibly turn legal. They had nothing on you until you admitted that you were inspired form their wave design.

At this point the best thing you can do is forget this ever happened. Don't reply to any messages demanding you quit etc etc etc.

If you are really worried that he will be serving you with a cease/desist or anything else, you should contact an attorney instead of talking to the guy directly, and be very careful when taking advice from someone on a forum!! I've read some things in this thread that can seriously get you in trouble if you did them!

A couple more things are making me even more suspicious. This guy "drawknife! (rooster maybe?) comes on here supporting the claims that you stole a design etc etc. Than goes and says things like

"Anybody else see why we might be upset about it? blush.gif

If it weren't for sale, we'd have made comments on how nice a job you'd done."

Than he goes on to say he suggests you work it out amongst Neal....

More fishy than catfish on friday night in louisiana.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa...this thread sorta got derailed, didn't it?

The thing that's bugging me most is the insitance that it would all be OK if credit was given where it was due. Well, honestly? I'm never going to be doing that for my guitars. Reason: inspiration comes from a vast array of sources, and if you can integrate the whole, synthesize it into something yours, something cohesive and coherent (in design terms), then that's great.

My current build is, essentially, constructed like Myka's dragonfly. Body contours are similar (but still my own twist, and it's been designed as such and on paper for years), and yes, I've been inspired by David's work a good deal. Then again, it's an arched spruce top (OMG! We stole an idea from Bob Benedetto!) over a mahogany body (I wonder when Gibson's going to come suing us) with a set neck and wood trim (there's the archtop influence again!). And both of us clearly stole our designs from the bastard child of Gibson and Bob Benedetto, or possibly PRS, who stole them from Fender and Gibson, who in turn probably got them from old world stringed instrument makers and various other archtop builders....it's part of a continuum.

This said, anyone with half a brain will never mistake one of my guitars for one of David's (which are in a different league anyway, mind), because the overall design - while sharing a significant number of design elements - is distinctive enough. We're building guitars, after all, so they've all got 6 strings, similar scale lengths, and some kind of pickup in there, somewhere...

got this today "MCS Uk: Dear Sir,after discussion we feel we have no alternative to ask you to withdraw this model or we shall issue a cease and desist as you have already stated that this is where you have got your design from.MCS Uk take forgery of a design very seriously. Feel free to contact me at mcsguitars@lycos.com. You selling designs taken from MCS guitars will not be tolerated. Thanks,Ron"

now this was posted on the guestbook on my website, NOT emailed to me in reply to an email i sent to them. this seems very odd to me. what do people think?

If you hear nothing else form this thread, hear this. If the notices your getting are not served as an official notice by an attorney (eg, you are sent an official letter in the mail which you have to SIGN FOR) it means nothing. Go about your business. You have nothing to fear legally over the issue.

Now you see why it's important to keep your mouth shut when dealing with anything that can possibly turn legal. They had nothing on you until you admitted that you were inspired form their wave design.

At this point the best thing you can do is forget this ever happened. Don't reply to any messages demanding you quit etc etc etc.

If you are really worried that he will be serving you with a cease/desist or anything else, you should contact an attorney instead of talking to the guy directly, and be very careful when taking advice from someone on a forum!! I've read some things in this thread that can seriously get you in trouble if you did them!

A couple more things are making me even more suspicious. This guy "drawknife" comes on here supporting the claims that you stole a design etc etc. Than goes and says things like

"Anybody else see why we might be upset about it? blush.gif

If it weren't for sale, we'd have made comments on how nice a job you'd done."

Than he goes on to say he suggests you work it out amongst Neal....

More fishy than catfish on friday night in louisiana.

Please don't attribute someone else's comments to me. The quotes you made were from Rooster.

I tried to offer easy solutions, which it seems were implimented quite quickly.

let's all get a grip here people. None of us represent any company in any way, at least not one involved in this discussion. so let's concentrate back on what PG is all about, people building their own guitars and helping others who are busy in the process of doing so. let's not bicker and argue over who made this and who made that who should apolagise etc etc. as this gets us nowhere.

Whoever sent that "warning" of a "cease and desist" is an idiot. It's obviously not a "har har" continuation of some ongoing joke. That explanation doesn't make any sense. The only answer that makes sense is that the writer is an idiot.

+1 to Godin's comment that it has to come FROM A LAWYER, signed for and delivered by hand. You can't issue freakin' legal documents by e-mail for crying out loud.

+5 to Mattia... although I DID support hoogle's forthrightness in ALWAYS having stated his inspiration, I don't think it was "necessary" to.

Those MCS forumites are obviously a bit rabid-- and I don't mind the sentiment. If I ever did something to inspire that kind of rabidity in a fan, I'd be satisfied that I had struck a resonant chord out there. :D But man... there's a time and a place to step back and think a bit objectively, and this was it for them.

Greg

Those MCS forumites are obviously a bit rabid

HAHA I hope you dont think that of all us mcs shredders :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Those MCS forumites are obviously a bit rabid

HAHA I hope you dont think that of all us mcs shredders :D

You're not rabid so much as scary. B)

I figure I'll do it before a mod does, BACK ON TOPIC.

VERY GOOD IDEA!! every one needs to calm down and move on, This is for hooglebug and Neal to deal with

You're not rabid so much as scary.

Im not soooo bad :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

awwwww matts just a big teddy bear

HAHAHA Sure I am c5_3.jpg

Ok, NOW we get back on topic :D

Whatever.

He changed his website, and now admits where the inspiration came from.

The running lawyer joke had nothing to do with the C&D order guy. Your assumption is faulty.

A PG member came to the MCS forum first to spout off. This "we" you refer to did not start the cross forum dispute.

And thanks again for attributing someone else's comments to me. Makes you look real smart...

When you drill it, from wich side you drill in?

Does it crack easier if you start drilling from the mirror surface?

How do you cut/drill the mirror without cracking it?

i use a dremel type thing with a small router bit in it. slower, but at least it doesnt crack

• 4 weeks later...