My First Commission

Check out Huntindoug's work as he laser cuts acrylic mirror, so it definitely works! It can be brittle when brought to points as I found when I was inlaying a board I commissioned Doug to cut for me. All the gluing and levelling was done by me because I wanted to be more hands on with the actual inlaying :-D

biohaz_2.jpg

It's possible that the mirror backing might not like being laser cut, but I can't see it being an issue for inlaying by any means. Go for it! I've been considering a mirrored inlay for a while myself...

Edited by Prostheta

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, the neck would have been finished today. WOULD have. but noooooo, we cant have that now can we. id sanded andpolished the face plate and it looked better than it did before - almost like chrome. i was just starting to flat the neck when i heard a crack. i looked but couldnt see anything and assumed it must have been from outside or something. a couple of seconds later however i heard another crack. i looked again and saw to my horror that the mirror had started to lift up on the tuner side. i couldnt believe it! and i cant understand why its done it. but it has. so now rather than being finished its got clamps all over it again. damn it!

Is it possible weather had anything to do with it? I'm just curious if the weather was any different when you were working today than the past few days. If it was warm and humid, maybe it caused problems. I'd imagine that a wood to wood joint can handle changes better than something like wood to metal or mirror. When you said starting to flat the neck, are talking about shaping? If so I wonder if a problem like you had could be avoided by attaching the headstock mirror after the neck is done. I'm sure shaping the neck can cause flex throughout the neck which could pop the headstock mirror possibly. Just thinking of possibilities. Anyhow, can't wait to see the outcome. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. J

by flatting i mean flatting the finish.

and the change in weather could have something to do with it i suppose, but if thats the case, why has my purple one not been affected at all? and thats been through very hot and very cold weather. it just seems strange that it only happened after i had polished up the mirror. i dont know, maybe there was a weak glue joint or something. it better not happen again is all i can say! or i'll grrrrrrr at it very menacingly

by flatting i mean flatting the finish.

and the change in weather could have something to do with it i suppose, but if thats the case, why has my purple one not been affected at all? and thats been through very hot and very cold weather. it just seems strange that it only happened after i had polished up the mirror. i dont know, maybe there was a weak glue joint or something. it better not happen again is all i can say! or i'll grrrrrrr at it very menacingly

maybe i missed this in a previous post, but what did you use to glue the acrylic onto the body?

I wonder if the fact that the acrylic was bent up to the nut had anything to do with it? The most pressure (if the acrylic wanted to return someway towards it's original shape) would be in the cup of the bend - perhaps the first crack you heard? The second could be from the rest of the weakened join giving way. Just clutching at straws.

well i think iv found the reason - my stupidity. shocking! lol.

when iv been sanding the mirror iv been doing it with wet n dry, wet obviously, and the water has gone into the wood through the tuner holes and the wood has expanded quite drastically - almost a mm in places. ah well. be more careful next time then

A mm? That's a mile!

peewee.gif

Things could be worse though. You might get abuse from a wet n' dry forum about how much you're ripping off their wet sanding kudos man.

http://www.wetndry.co.uk/

Nah, I think you're okay unless you make an unergonomic surfboard guitar.

I think I must win an award for cross-referencing the subjects on PG. :D

On with the show Mr Hoogle! :D

hooglebug, maybe next time you should spray a wash coat of sealer over the whole guitar before applying the mirrors, and then soak any holes that you drill with CA. That should go a long way in keeping water out of unwanted places...obviously using less water will help as well, but that goes without saying.

well the necks finally finished. theres a crack in the mirror at the low e tuner hole - when that appeared i dont know. it wasnt during the clamping so it must have magically appeared one night. anyway, sanded and polished the mirror again and gave the rest of the neck a nice satin finish. just waiting for the body to cure then i can get on with that - LOTS of polishing on the top to do there!

heres some pics of the neck

th_P6251497.jpgth_P6251496.jpgth_P6251495.jpgth_P6251494.jpg

th_P6251493.jpgth_P6251492.jpgth_P6251491.jpgth_P6251490.jpg

you mean right next to the nut at the fingerboard side? thats a blob of superglue. its been cleaned off.

if you mean the bit between the fingerboard and the mirror, thats where the mirror contorted during glueing. its filled with ebony and epoxy. the white bits are compound from polishing the mirror

hi, i may be stupid..

when you say 'sanding the mirror?' what do you mean, i thoun the mirror was covered and you jsut peel of when done?

also what do you do round the edges, just wet/smooth sand or do you do some binding?

Cheers in advance for all the questions

This is an interesting position to be in with the faults on the headstock. If it were a build for yourself then no problem but this IS a commission job. I hope the person is ok with it. I guess it would depend on the relationship you have with the customer and the price agreed on. If it was a real commercial product that neck would have to be fixed or scraped . Its a tough world out there.

:D

i know. i know its not perfect and i was really annoyed about it, but he understands what happened and he's fine with how it looks, which is good.

its pretty much done but for the wiring. i have to wait for some money to clear into my credit card before i can get all the last little bits, but once it has it should be done.

i hope his audience is used to wearing sunglasses...

th_P7051502.jpg

th_P7051501.jpg

th_P7051500.jpg