Scale Lengths

I'm obviously doing something wrong, because, from what I've read, the scale length should be exactly twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. Well, on my standard fender mexican telecaster custom, the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is well over 15 inches. Does that give me a 30 inch scale? I've checked some other fender guitars, and none of them have strings that are 25.5 inches from nut to bridge. Help! What am I doing wrong?

I'm obviously doing something wrong, because, from what I've read, the scale length should be exactly twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret.

Correct...

I've checked some other fender guitars, and none of them have strings that are 25.5 inches from nut to bridge. Help! What am I doing wrong?

You are confusing scale length with intonated string length. They are not the same measurement, but are somewhat related. You'll need to do more research before you measure out the bridge location on a guitar you are building.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, because, from what I've read, the scale length should be exactly twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. Well, on my standard fender mexican telecaster custom, the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is well over 15 inches. Does that give me a 30 inch scale? I've checked some other fender guitars, and none of them have strings that are 25.5 inches from nut to bridge. Help! What am I doing wrong?

no, thats not true. fender and jackson guitars have 25.5, and the distance from the nut to 12th fret is 12". that would only give you 24" scale.

no, thats not true. fender and jackson guitars have 25.5, and the distance from the nut to 12th fret is 12". that would only give you 24" scale.

Your respoce dosen't make sense to me. What are you trying to say?

Peace,Rich

This thread seems so... weird... to me. ;-)

Fender and Jackson 25.5" instruments are certainly NOT 12" from nut to 12th fret. Dunno if the maths would even hold up to this theory, but: are you sure you're not measuring only to the 11th?

wth? Most surreal thread of the year award...

My comment was directed at killemall8's comment.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter how long a ruler is... it's still got the numbers labelled <chuckle>. Hence, I assumed the other dude (not the one with the Fender/Jackson comment) was kidding...!

Such a weird thread.

I don't know what fender necks you've been looking at, but my tele neck is definitely 12.75" to the 12th fret.

And as for the telecaster kid, well, I don't think anybody should be surprised at this post after reading his previous posts. :D