First Guitar

I might be the one with the incorrect understanding here, but my impression is that tight-grained woods like cherry won't really accept much grainfill, and therefore it would have no "cool factor" impact on the end product. I worked a piece of cherry for my lap-steel, and there's no way any grainfill was going to remain behind after wiping.

So, just to clarify-- is the suggestion actually referring to dying black and then sanding back again so that the grain pattern is emphasized? Not the same thing as grain-filling.

Greg

I was picturing something like this when I agreed with the red and black idea (Jason's SG)...

You're right though, grain filling might be pointless in this case

finished10.JPG

Hmm.. I got two questions. The two main things I need to do now are drilling a hole for the pickup to pickup wire (I just did the pickup to control cavity hole) and thinning down the headstock. To drill that wire hole, you would use a extremely long drill bit, right? But I'm home alone, and the nearest hardware store is quite a bit aways. So, is there any way I could possibly do this without using the long drill bit? And as for the headstock, I'm guessing the best way to do this is just with a belt sander? It only needs to be thinned by around 1/8th an inch.

Hmm.. . To drill that wire hole, you would use a extremely long drill bit, right? But I'm home alone, and the nearest hardware store is quite a bit aways. So, is there any way I could possibly do this without using the long drill bit?

The only way I know without the long bit or a mini right angle chuck is to route a cavity in the back between the two pickups and drill from the top through each pup recess at an angle into the back cavity. Heaps more work and an extra cavity cover to make, I'd just hang fire until you get to the shop for the long bit.

• 2 months later...

Well, I've been pretty lazy.

I probably coulda got this done months ago : P Well, anyways, I'm gonna finish it now. After seeing just how dark cherry can get aged, I've decided to just do a simple natural finish. Here's some pics after (almost) final sanding and such (and a older one of it put together) However, I decided I might round all the edges a little more. School starts for me next week, so I'm gonna try and get as much done as possible in the next 5 days.

geetear2ev6.jpg

Back

Control Cavity

With Hardware*

*Yeah it's insanely messy in there! I've cleaned it up since, don't worry. :D

Edited by Pyroiguana

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, well I finally got some time to finish it... Right now, it's coated it danish oil and buffed. I was thinking about urethane, and ended up deciding I'd see how it goes with the oil finish before moving onto that.

guetuwo2.jpg

Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll get time to work on the soldering... And I gotta hunt down a new neck screw cause one of mine mysteriously dissapeared... : /

Thanks alot Vinny!! and I'm 15, actually.

I really enjoyed doing this project. I'm actually thinking of starting another one soon, planning a neck through semihollow bass. Which makes sense, cause I play bass in my band : P

Well, can't finish today, my parents are having a bunch of people over. So this weekend. Saturday? I'm really anxious to get this done... When I do my next guitar, I'm gonna try not to drag it out this long. And I'll get a chance to try out building a neck and carving.

I keep thinking to myself, if I can get good enough, maybe I could start selling them in a while... So I don't have to work at McDonalds for the next 5 or so. :D We'll see. Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay!!! I finally finished it. Well, except for the nut. Thats all thats left before i can string 'er up. The electronics were a bit time-consuming... Around 40 solders coupled with a crappy soldering iron and a tiny tiny control cavity tend to make the whole deal a little troublesome. And, of course, the shielding was a little difficult too considering the weird shape I did, but with a combination of aluminum shielding tape, a huge screw, and duct tape, it was successfully shielded. (No noise at all!) I was so surprised, there wasn't a single crossed wire, electrical error or anything the first time round! I'm gonna get the nut done this weekend.

(That string may seem a little misplaced to some. Used it for testing the electronics : P)

img5569dc3.jpg

Control Cavity

Back

Thanks guys.

Tried doing the nut yesterday... And failed. Rather than buy a ton of equipment to do it, I used a set of.. uh, fold-out sized metal plates that measure gaps. Don't know what they're called. Basically, they go down to very small sizes and they have a rounded edge, so I filed notches in the ones that match the string width, so now I've got some homemade nut files. They work perfect, just the right size. Problem is, I miscalculated a depth and ended up going too low down... So I went out and bought a couple more nut blanks to work with. I think I'll be able to get it right next time though.