What age did you start playing?

Jon Bell

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started playing a Commodore acoustic when i was 11, but i only plucked at the strings and pressed frets, at about the age of 13 i learned the F chord (first one, haha) and then at 14 my friend taught me King Of The Hill and i was hooked, i practiced it till i got it down pat, he taught me how to tune it and after I got tuning right he gave me 2 websites for tabs and i just went nuts!!

Now, i can play alot of stuff by ear (just learned, haha) and i have wrote 3 songs, which all are decent, but sound the same..... kinda

Curtis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

started when i was 13, but was going on 14 in about 2 weeks, i am now 15... My birthday is in November so that means i've been playing about 1 year and a few months. Just recently i've been getting into learning scales and keys, and soon music (not just tab). i'm really good at learnin songs by ear, and playing along well, but when i try to play along using tab it never sounds right. I'd say I'm in the top 10 or 15 of about 100-150 in my school. So i'm in the top 10% basically. next year I'm playing bass for my schools "music express" (show choir [singing+dancing] with a live band). Starting a metallica-ish band soon..

-John

:D

started playing in 7th grade (5 years ago) when the band teacher asked me to play bass in the jazz band. Always wanted to play guitar, so i figured bass was just a stepping stone to guitar so i went in...little did i know how much i'd love bass. I learned the entirety of nimrod by Green Day within the first 6 hours of owning my first bass (a hamer slammer)

now i don't play as much as i used to, but i still write a lot of music. I have over 100 orignal songs finished or in the works...

here's a little ditty i pulled out last year if anyone is interested Its this

:D

• 2 weeks later...

technically i didint get my own guitar till age 13.. like 15 years ago now, but i was pluckin them since age three

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
...and then at 14 my friend taught me King Of The Hill and i was hooked...

he he. That was written and performed by The Refreshments...one of my favorite bands, now called Roger clyne and the peacemakers, tho Roger is the only original member. Check 'em out

And BTW started at 11...smoking, drinking pot, guitar....18 I quit everything but guitar. Now 21.

I started when I was 10, on a enourmous-necked acoustic guitar that had strings 1/2" (ok, maybe a little less...) above the fretboard (it was a Takamine Jasmine). A year later I got my first electric(Epi LP SpecialII), and a year after that I started playing lead in my contemporary church's band. After doing that for a few months I upgraded all of my gear, and now I play too much I think, but I love it. And now (after almost 6 years of playing) whenever I pick my Jasmine I wonder how I made myself stick with it in the beginning. :D

• 2 weeks later...

ive been playin for 5 years im 20 now so that would mean i started out at 15 i guess not really sure, fuzzy memory hard to remember the details, ne ways i think i suck sum people say im good at school (college) but then again all those people play is pop punk and alternative stuff and i play like metal and classical, gotta love the classical im just startin to learn scales and stuff i taught myself how to play at first and now im ready to learn the technical stuff i definetly dont play as much as i want to tho

MzI

i began playing arcoustic guitar when i was 11, but it got serious when i was 13. when i was 14 i got my first electric. now i'm 17 and i have taken lessons for a year now (before i taught myself[or at least i tried to]) and now i'm on the best way to become a good shredder, well many practice left for me....

there is no such thing as too much playing  :D

agreed...

I first picked up a guitar in earnest when I was 15, I'm now 45. Been thru too many guitars to count and the learning experience has been a long, rocky series of plateaus. Its something we can all expect. Q: Am I good? A: Would you like it if I was? All of those stagnation periods resulted in trying something new to keep the interest alive. So I'm considered a jack of all trades, master of none. A friend actually told me that I have "deep pockets". I guess he was referring to versatility. Every little bit counts, :D .

I started when I was 10, on a enourmous-necked acoustic guitar that had strings 1/2" (ok, maybe a little less...) above the fretboard (it was a Takamine Jasmine). A year later I got my first electric(Epi LP SpecialII), and a year after that I started playing lead in my contemporary church's band. After doing that for a few months I upgraded all of my gear, and now I play too much I think, but I love it. And now (after almost 6 years of playing) whenever I pick my Jasmine I wonder how I made myself stick with it in the beginning. :D

me too... i play my old acoustic with super high strings once in a while and i'm amazed that i actually stuck with it for awhile...

Started payig acoustic when I was 13, at 14 I got my first electric, a 1974 Gibson SG I paid 450$ canadian for. I sold it back the year after that for the same price to finance myself a 30watt marshall amp to play with a cheap ass LP copy I got free.

Stopped playing guitar at 18. Restarted playing for about a year when I was 26 and picked-up my first bass then.

Started playing bass actively last year and taking lessons, i'm now 33 years old and I wish I still had That SG!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i was definately 17 years 1 month and 2 days old. funny how i remember when i bought my guitar, but not when i first asked out... UGH. wheres my refresher course.

Got a Yamaha Pacifica 112 on my sixteenth birthday, great guitar it was to, I've been playing now for seven years and owned probably 12 guitars and basses and you know what? I'm rubbish! I haven't got any better in years! Now I spend more time tweaking and making guitars than playing them! Dumbass me. :D