What age did you start playing?

Jon Bell

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started at 13 and I've been playing 1 1/2 years, but, according to my mates they reckon that I be the best! lol, but I love every minute of playing and every thing.

• 2 weeks later...

i was a piano player for all my life (both my parents play professionally, my dad does jazz and my mom, classical), but i never really liked it. however, my mom happened to have been a hippie way back when, and i dug her old yamaha acoustic out of her closet one day and just started to teach myself how to play. that was when i was about 8. i didn't really start playing for real until i was 13, which was when my dad bought me my first bass so i could learn to play in his jazz band (his normal guy was leaving). i caught onto that really fast (was playing pro at several studios in and around chicago, as well as had 3 CD's, one solo, released with my name on them) but i wanted to do more, so when i was 14, i won my first guitar in a contest. it was a cheap strat signed by a bunch of local bands, so i rubbed off the sharpies (one of them happened to be One Way Ride, another was Nickelback, man do i feel stupid now...) and honed down my electric skills, always keeping the yamaha acoustic at my side.

now, i just started taking classical and jazz lessons about a month ago, i love it, and i'm signed with two different professional, touring jazz bands on bass (neither of them are my father's, too bad for him...). a lot can happen, really fast, i've found out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

12, my Dad bought me a beat up accoustic, the neck was broken and he bolted it back on for me, then I started out with tabs out of Guitar magazine LOL I still remember Motley Crue's Merry go round and round in there.

I didn't seriously start to learn the bass guitar until I was 14. My brother 16 needed a bass player for his band. My Mom and Dad are both musicians. Mom plays the pipe organ and the harp, and dad plays classical and spanish guitar. My brother picked up fingerstyle spanish guitar by ear at age 6 and was reading music by 7. (the son of a B*^%&) Anyway I'm 32 now, been playin in blues, rock, metal, and punk bands ever since, and I've just started to tinker around with guitars and basses, now that I have more than one :D .

• 2 months later...

I started when i was 13, now im 18 and id say im good. I got good alot faster than my friends which made playing a guitar a chore. I play atleast 2 hours a day. Im a pretty well rounded player. I started off playing metallica like everyone. Then leard some metal leads, but i got bored of that so i learn some acoustic and now i cna write opeth style songs easily. Right im working on learing some jazzy stuff.