I Made A Chip On The Side Of My Guitar.

i'm so pissed.

I was done practicing so I went to my guitar stand to put it down, and as I was putting it down, it hit the bridge of the guitar right next to it, and it dinged a corner. the poly finish cracked and chipped off, but no wood is exposed. how do I hide this? I treat all my guitars like babies, a small dent REALLY pisses me off. I care about the condition of my guitars to the extent that if they get beat up, I sell them and get a new one. would filling it with polyurethane and sanding it down be good?

is the guitar painted or staind....... if its an solid color just fill the spot with some kind of body filler...even bondo like for cars will work...then sand it and paint it...

if its a clear or varnish its tricky... ive seen it done but never attempted this myself so instead of giving bad advise ill tell you that i would look to someone else for knowlage on that....

good luck

is the guitar painted or staind....... if its an solid color just fill the spot with some kind of body filler...even bondo like for cars will work...then sand it and paint it...

if its a clear or varnish its tricky... ive seen it done but never attempted this myself so instead of giving bad advise ill tell you that i would look to someone else for knowlage on that....

good luck

stained.

http://bloodyvelvet.com/pics/mh400nt.jpg

in the back corner. god i'm still pissed.

Honestly? I'd leave it alone.

Finish repair (Good finish repair) is just about the most difficult thing to do perfectly. Me, I'll take a dent or a scratch over a visible repair any day.

If you want to see some nice refin/finish repair jobs, step by step, check out Frets.com.

all the best guitars are chipped and dented - its a sign people play them!!!

I could make up some complete vintage guitar BS about all the dents actually compressing the wood slightly giving you a slightly denser body and more sustain - thats the true reason vintage guitars sound better :D

good luck

The bondo is a bad idea. It is only chipped through the paint. Adding bondo would make everything flush. Then when you paint a finish, that will be a high spot. If it is a guitar that does not and will not have much of anything in resale value, I would try drop filling with super glue and sanding and polishing. If it has anykind of resale value, I would not touch it.

*drools* the 400NT is such a sweet instrument... It's what I was looking at getting before I said ****it and built my own.

I'd give a good ol' +1 to filling the spot with super glue. I dunno if I'd fill it in with poly, because poly is meant to be sprayed, not spot-filled. I dunno, just my opinion. CA is the way to go if it's bugging ya, not poly.

And a -1 to bondo. The only bondo I've seen is the stuff that comes in those enormous tubs and is a weird red/orange adobe color :D Unless it's going to be painted over. But the prep work for filling with bondo and then refinishing that already sweet maple sounds like such a pain.

Heh I should get you a photo of some of the chips and dings on my guitar.

I'd agree with mattia and Wes that it isnt a big deal, but I suppose if its something thats really going to bug you in future then maybe its worth it.

well, since it bumped into a the edge of a tune-o-matic bridge, it's not a big sink, but a small deep trench-like dent. I'm gonna try applying a single drop of polyurethane on it and wiping of the excess so it fills the "trench"

Use Super glue to fill...no polyurethane, it will not work.

I beat the hell out of one of my own axes as a young man in a funk-turned-madness jam once. Intentionally, sort of. Never really had any regrets about the marks it left, though I'd be in no hurry to do it again as an older and calmer (more boring) man. :D

I think all my guitars have a few dents or scratches. I couldn't care less. I don't go out of my way to put them there, but nor do I mind them being there. As others have said, it's just character. You can't prevent every accident that's ever going to happen.

That said, it's your guitar and you get to make that call. I'm just saying that like others here, I can't really relate.

i'm so pissed.

I was done practicing so I went to my guitar stand to put it down, and as I was putting it down, it hit the bridge of the guitar right next to it, and it dinged a corner. the poly finish cracked and chipped off, but no wood is exposed. how do I hide this? I treat all my guitars like babies, a small dent REALLY pisses me off. I care about the condition of my guitars to the extent that if they get beat up, I sell them and get a new one. would filling it with polyurethane and sanding it down be good?

Finally popped it's cherry huh? Nothing wrong with that, I'm jumpin on the scarred look bandwagon as well. If I was going to fix that I would just put a band-aid on it, jk. I went through similar feelings when I chipped a headstock when using a reamer to fit some bigger tuners. I just superglued the piece back in as the chip fit perfectly, still has a scar of experience though.