Progress On Lp Build

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Getting a fboard perfect is not always an easy task, good job. Did you use anything like set pins of just straight up glue? Whats next in your plans? Also, get us a nice pic of that fboard when you can, I would like to see how it looks in whole, it looks very nice. J

neck basicly finished. just finish sanding and clean up the scarf a bit.

neckbuild005.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...eckbuild004.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...eckbuild003.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...eckbuild002.jpg

no matter what i do, i cant get a good pic of the fretboard. it looks awesome in person.

Very nice. Yeah, I know it bugs me what I can't get a good shot. My zebrawood is the same way, at some angles is reflects strangely other angles the lines just mush together ruining the definition of the wood. The camera I have been using is a super old digital, works fine, just poor quality and only the only zoom is a buttom that says X2, LOL. I have a better one somewhere, I just end up keeping that old one around because of the dust and chemicals and stuff.

I can't to wait to see what your fretboard looks like sanded fully, coco and really shine nice. Thats a nice piece, I am a big fan of the figure of flatsawn coco, but both look great. The neck shape looks great and you did it quick, good job and very nice. Keep them progress pics coming. Also, a question you might have missed, did you do anything to keep the fretboard in place? Like set pins or anything. J

Very nice. Yeah, I know it bugs me what I can't get a good shot. My zebrawood is the same way, at some angles is reflects strangely other angles the lines just mush together ruining the definition of the wood. The camera I have been using is a super old digital, works fine, just poor quality and only the only zoom is a buttom that says X2, LOL. I have a better one somewhere, I just end up keeping that old one around because of the dust and chemicals and stuff.

I can't to wait to see what your fretboard looks like sanded fully, coco and really shine nice. Thats a nice piece, I am a big fan of the figure of flatsawn coco, but both look great. The neck shape looks great and you did it quick, good job and very nice. Keep them progress pics coming. Also, a question you might have missed, did you do anything to keep the fretboard in place? Like set pins or anything. J

sorry, forgot to answer that earlier. nope diddnt use any setpins. the fretboard was 4 inches wide uncut, so it was huge. i just applied glue, and rubbed together for a while, and it stuck perfect. thanks for the kind words.

here it is staind. believe it or not, it looks like dark zebrawood in the light. my stupid camera never captures the real beauty of the wood.

staindlespaul003.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...dlespaul004.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...dlespaul002.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...dlespaul001.jpg

Nice! That thing looks great and looks lot a lot of fun to play, not sure why, but I think I would enjoy jammin on that thing, LOL. That neck turned out very nice, that figure really came through.

I wish your camera was taking better pics for you because I can imagine how great that stuff looks in detail up close. I usually have the same problem with my camera.

The body looks great, that ribbon stripe looking mahog is very nice and I think will add a lot to the look of that body shape. Another cool thing is the tiny little kink in the ribbon figure will fall right under the bridge and will be covered, leaving a perfect look.

Anyhow, keep the posts coming, this project is coming right along and looking great. Makes me want to do a LP now. Best of luck. J

Looking great. Is it the angle of the photo or does the bridge need to be shifted about 2-3 mm to the left? There looks to be a lot more space above the low E string than below the high E on the neck and the pup. :D

Edited by Muzz

I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure if maybe it was the pic or what. If that is accurate it looks as though it will play fine all in all, just the last fret or two on the high E might be tight. In looking at it, I really couldn't tell why it seems off there, the only thing I could think of is if the neck isn't perfectly straight in relation to the body or the fretboard taper isn't perfect.

Again, I have no idea if the neck is glued in or if that picture is perfectly accurate, so I wans't going to say anything, but since it was brought up, I just wanted to say that I had noticed that as well. One of the reasons I enjoy luthiery so much is there are always ways to fix problems and often they end up making the product even better functionally and/or aesthetically. Anyhow, whats the word Killemall? In the pic it also looks like a big wound string or maybe not even a guitar string at all. With a small little string there, it won't look nearly as close as it does there.

The only reason moving the bridge might not be the total problem, is if you moved it over you might have the same problem on the low E. As it is, the angle on the low E seems good and follows the taper fine from what little the picture shows. Moving the bridge may or may not solve the problem completely. The neck pickup route seems to be well centered and the bridge one looks a tiny bit off, but again could be the mockup picture, angle, and shadows. Best of luck, keep us posted. J

Edited by jmrentis

the nut is not placed, so the strings are just lying on the fretboard unevenly. the big string where the high e should be is an A string. i just used it to see how it lined up, but it moved before i took the pic because i moved it to my bed. all lines up great and plays well.

Word! cool, cool. Thats what I was hoping to hear and is why I wasn't gonna say anything because I hadn't even seen tuner or nuts in any of the pics. Keep us posted on progress. What type of nut will you be using? And what type of tuners are the ones you had installed a few pages ago? J

Edited by jmrentis

Word! cool, cool. Thats what I was hoping to hear and is why I wasn't gonna say anything because I hadn't even seen tuner or nuts in any of the pics. Keep us posted on progress. What type of nut will you be using? And what type of tuners?J

i will be using the black keystone tuners. they are in a post on the last page somewhere. i will be using a white bone nut. everything is all done except for the nut. whew. gtom entry? probably not

Edited by killemall8

i will be using the black keystone tuners. they are in a post on the last page somewhere. i will be using a white bone nut. everything is all done except for the nut. whew. gtom entry? probably not

Duh, I saw the tuners, lol, nice choice! Bone always looks nice I think especially on a LP build. You really whipped that guitar up nicely and didn't take you too long at all, very cool.

Why not GOTM? You staind the neck already and the body looks nice, but I don't know what you have done to it. Have you already done a finish on it, it looks nice, but I can't tell from the pics. If you haven't and you throw a nice finish on there, maybe a headstock cap(veneer)which you might have already done, I think you would get votes easy in the GOTM. That is a nice looking build, everything is clean and all the wood is beautiful and figured, good choices on hardware. I say tweek it as much as you can over the next few weeks to make it even better and throw that thing in the GOTM. You can always wait if you don't feel like you finished it enough or whatever, you can enter whenever, but I think its a very nice build and would definately get some votes and have an equal chance at winning as any other build, just depends on what other guitars are entered and peoples taste. I say go for it, but I would make sure you are 100% finished in every aspect and have taken a ton of pictures with a nice Digital camera, preferably outside like some of your other pics. Anyhow, best of luck and keep the progress pics coming. J

EXCELLENT! Very nice stuff man, all very clean and just nice. It just looks like a fun piece to play. Have you jammed out on it yet, if so how was it? What is the finish? Just curious how you did it and if you will be doing anymore to the finish, like adding more coats or something. Well great stuff man, it looks really nice. Maybe next one you could add some more extras like binding or whatever, would look cool. Well, right on man and congrats on the nice build. J

thanks, and i have played on it a ton already. it sounds amazing. my favorite guitar already. the finish is several coats of tung oil on the body, and the neck lightly stained and then coated with a few coats of tung oil. thanks for all the great comments everyone! i will get a pick of the whole thing up today.