My First Inlay

like most things, its not as hard as it seems. when i made my first guitar i was dreadnig carving the neck, thinking it would be nigh on impossible, but it turned out to be the part i like doing the best. just give it a try, you might be a master at it! hehe

Nicely done!

Its cool how the pattern on the pearl seems to give the body more form... especially on the straighter leg... is that naturaly figuring or was that added somehow?

is it coincidence or did you choose that piece specifically?

It seems to map out a perfect calf muscle

Edited by Ben

no its sat in pieces on the back of a black book. its actually going on a flamed maple fretboard (!!!???) which makes this first inlay even more dauntng! i'll be using one of those tiny dremel routing things with a stewmac base thingy.

and ben, its a total coincidence. all the pearl was just sent unseen from smallwonder. good stuff

hehe silly sod hehe

i dont know how it'll look, but thats what she (the girl whos guitar it'll be) wanted so...

maybe if i have a thin line of black around it, so it looks like an outline of a drawing. i dont know, might get a balck line all around it anyway as its my first one andall. probably will. ah well.

EDIT: here it is resting on the fretboard. im going to clean it up today make it fit together a bit better

th_P7131517.jpg

csuttle - if you click on the pics they open on a new page much bigger

i cleaned it up and now i fits together much better. i also cut my logo for the same guitar. this was rather tricky and fiddly, but it came out well i think

the flash went off so the hair is white, but other than that you can see it fits better

th_P7131522.jpg

csuttle - if you click on the pics they open on a new page much bigger

Yeah, that helped a lot. You might want to concider using black mop for the back wing (the top piece of the wings), so it looks like it's in shadow. You know the wing behind the wing. Just a thought.

Loving it! That turned out excellent. Just recently got some shells and inlays for my stuff. How do you prefer to clean up the edges? Some type of file I'd assume? Also being that you have some very sharp little corners what size bits have you thought about using? You are the in UK right, I was going to ask about the LMI inlay bits, but being that I doubt you could use them, that info would be useless to you.

Anyhow, I think it will look fine straight into the maple, but what I think would look really cool would be inlaying it into something to create a small white outline and then into something else to put a black background. And the black piece could be shaped into whatever design the girl liked, for instance a nice diamond shape or teardrop or whatever. I think that would look really cool and might actually make inlaying easier because the route into the wood would be easier than that inlay. BUT I do think that would be a ton of extra work and I do not know how that would affect fretting and finishing of the board, unless you found some pressure dyed white and black thin wood, even then I'm not sure how well it would work and look. Just kickin ideas about. Anyhow, very nice work, unbelievable work actually, you definately have some natural born talent for inlay design like a few other people I have seen. Can't wait to see how this turns out and your future work, Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

iv got one of those little dremmel routing bits from stewmac and i already had a teeny little bit that i can get into the tight points and stuff

you've put ideas in my head. hmmmm, i shall have to think. as for finishing the board, it will be clear coated so i shouldnt think it would make a difference really

routed the fretboard to take the fairy. my bit broke when i got to the wings, so had to use a bit that really wasnt suited to it at all, hence the large (relatively) gaps. a couple of bits tore out near the hair but it should be ok. nothing (incuding the binding) is glued on by the way

th_P7181524.jpg