Victorian Ash

All the usual info: http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/pls/portal30/do...TREES/TAN27.HTM

I used to work with a lot of Victorian Ash when i was working in the furniture industry, and have a little bit for possible use for guitar building.

Anyway, does anyone know what this timber sounds like as a body wood? (did a search and it seems it sounds like American Ash, even though not related) and is it usable as a neck material?

I also have an amount of other joinery timber, including merbau and durian that may have it's uses too.

All the usual info: http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/pls/portal30/do...TREES/TAN27.HTM

I used to work with a lot of Victorian Ash when i was working in the furniture industry, and have a little bit for possible use for guitar building.

Anyway, does anyone know what this timber sounds like as a body wood? (did a search and it seems it sounds like American Ash, even though not related) and is it usable as a neck material?

I also have an amount of other joinery timber, including merbau and durian that may have it's uses too.

This is Tassie Oak. Depending on who you talk to, its either identical to Vic Ash (renamed), or its pretty closely related.

IMG_2689.jpg

Not as bright as maple. Absolute pain to carve, finish, and sand. I wouldnt use it for a neck.

Nah, dont think ive ever seen a Maton with a vic ash top, and im the warranty guy, and friends with the custom shop manager :D Couldnt find any mention of Vic ash or tassie oak on their website at all. Well, maybe they may have used it on some electrics, but definately not acoustics.

Its very prone to splitting, so thinner sections wouldnt work so well (acoustic tops, sides and backs).

Strength (bad weight to strength ratio), ability to withstand constant stress (weak), openness of grain (huge pores and open grain fibres), ability to withstand moisture (little to none), ability to carve/rout etc (poor), weight (heavy).

If you want to use it, go for it.

Strength (bad weight to strength ratio), ability to withstand constant stress (weak), openness of grain (huge pores and open grain fibres), ability to withstand moisture (little to none), ability to carve/rout etc (poor), weight (heavy).

If you want to use it, go for it.

Thanks for the info.Wonder how Tobias gets away with it for some of his recent necks.Maybe heavy duty trussrod or some other reinforcement(s).

Ok done "hijacking"!!

Thanks

Pete

Nah, dont think ive ever seen a Maton with a vic ash top, and im the warranty guy, and friends with the custom shop manager :D Couldnt find any mention of Vic ash or tassie oak on their website at all. Well, maybe they may have used it on some electrics, but definately not acoustics.

Its very prone to splitting, so thinner sections wouldnt work so well (acoustic tops, sides and backs).

sorry, i meant droptop on an electric, but i may still be incorrect

edit:its actually victorian blackwood as opposed to ash, who would of thought more than 1 wood grew in victoria

Edited by black_labb

i am giving it a try on a project right now

just carved a bolt on neck out of a pice of 1/4 cut i found --- does seem a bit whippy but no fret board on yet

if its really crap i will build one out of maple

it is prone to tearout during routing

if you hit it hard with a orbital sander it can tear big bits out of the surface

it is a pain to finish as the grain is pretty open but no worse than mahogany or swamp ash.

works nice with hand tools and for the price you pay for premium i dunno whether its really worth the issues

will post back with the finished guitar

btw jim dyson uses it and his guitars are great

G'day RG.

In regards to Tas. oak/ Vic. ash tops on Maton electrics, they do exist.

The 2000dlx I own has one on it and it's a ripper.

I agree on the limited use for it but nevertheless I'm going to experiment on necks and chambered bodies

for the hell of it. Could end up a stinker or could be a pleasant surprise!!!

DSC05121_.jpg

cheers, Stu

I found a real light piece of vic ash at a local yard that gave a nice tap and got it do a tele in solid colour

it does look pretty plain with just a clear coat.....

it is so light but still hard and looks like a normal piece till you pick it up

i reckon like a previous poster that it would be usefull in chambered bodies with a fancy top

be good to keep an eye on builds using this easy to get timber

mmmmmmmmmmmm.................maton

I also live a couple of kilometres from the Maton factory and drive past it every day for work. he he he

Just thought I'd rub it in :D

• 2 weeks later...

This timber in figured form is amazing and in my opinion leaves American Maple for dead in terms of appearance and figure. I am yet to discover it's tonal qualities (or lack thereof) but visually, it is amazing. I am sure the tone will be ok sittting on a blackwood body....just a matter of tweaking the electronics to get the tone you're after....here is a bookmatched tas oak/vic ash top I am working on...

DSCN3458.jpg