How Do You Drill Wiring Cavities In Nec Thru Necks?

Thats how I did it on my first guitar, which was a neckthrough. I'd suggest, unless you've already glued the wings together, is to route a channel between the pickups, on the side of the neck blank closest to the control cavity. It's how I'm planning on doing it, at least, and the route won't be visible from the outside.

on a neck thru guitar with duel hums, how do you drill the holes for the wires to connect from the neck to the bridge hum? i guess you can drill a hole at an angle but i cant get it done on my guitar. thanks guys!

Get a long ass drill bit, and drill straight thru from the bottom. I'm having the exact same problem with my bass project, and I think that's what it's gonna come to.

I used a long drill bit, through the neck pup cavity to the next, then into the electronics cavity.

but since the neck is in the way, how do you do that? thats my whole problem. on a lp, the electronics cavity is really far away. , so how do you even start drilling. you cant get straight in like on a set neck or bolt on

I used a long drill bit, through the neck pup cavity to the next, then into the electronics cavity.

but since the neck is in the way, how do you do that? thats my whole problem. on a lp, the electronics cavity is really far away. , so how do you even start drilling. you cant get straight in like on a set neck or bolt on

Start high then go low, worked for me.

ie, i drill high in the neck pup cavity, aiming low into the next, can be done either way i guess, then i drill from the bridge pup cavity into the electronics cavity.

Edited by RGman

routing a channel into the side of the neck blank is really the easiest way to do it

If you do go with the long drill bit (which i wouldnt but sometimes its unavoidable) then go really slowly and back the drill out regularly. These long thin drill bits sure do like to wander!!

Those long drill bits are called "aviation drill bits" if you go searching for them. I don't know why they are referred to as "aviation bits" but they are.

You can actually flex the bit after you penetrate the head of the bit say an 1/8" and alter the bits path. I start with a 3/16" and follow with a larger bit if necessary once the 3/16" hole to the control cavity is established. The larger bit will not flex as much but it will follow the path of the least resistance.

I made a channel in the neck and glued in a McDonald's straw. Nice little cable duct and worked really well. You could even shield it if you wanted.

Looked really neat and tidy.

Now that is a clever idea to keep glue squeeze out from glomming up the channel when you put the sides on! I just put in some yarn and taped over the channel. Then I pulled out the yarn post glue up, but I like the straw idea much better.

Todd