I Messed Up My Left Hand!

radrobgray

i was at work yeasterday and i took a nap on break, arms folded, head resting on top. well, i woke up and i had pain shooting from the inner side of my left forearm and my pink and ring finger on that hand were numb! that eventually turned in to pain when ever i bend those fingers. now this is what concernes me, thats my fretting hand and now i cannot play guitar.

i am going to make an appointment for tommarrow to go to the doctor but i wanted to know if any of you have ever been through this and if it made you play worse after?

heres a link for more info cubital tunnel syndrome

Was it your pinkie and half of your ring finger? That happens to me pretty regularly if I sleep on it wrong.

Of course, I'll leave it to your doctor to tell for sure, but I would bet it's something temporary, given the way it came on (and not some kind of traumatic injury).

i was at work yeasterday and i took a nap on break, arms folded, head resting on top. well, i woke up and i had pain shooting from the inner side of my left forearm and my pink and ring finger on that hand were numb! that eventually turned in to pain when ever i bend those fingers. now this is what concernes me, thats my fretting hand and now i cannot play guitar.

i am going to make an appointment for tommarrow to go to the doctor but i wanted to know if any of you have ever been through this and if it made you play worse after?

heres a link for more info cubital tunnel syndrome

Give it a new name and change the speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

seriously, though What Rick said. otherwise listen to what your Dr says. Sounds like you impeded the blood flow and caused some temp loss of feeling and pain.

MK

I get that often, but it always disappears in a few mins.

A couple of times I've even fallen asleep and cut off the blood supply to an arm for so long, that when I woke up my arm was cold to the touch and I was actually physically unable to move any of the muscles in my arm or fingers for a few mins until the blood got back in there.

Really freaked me out when that first happened!

I hope things are ok for you

I've had the numbness and tingling in my pinky and ring finger since a motorcycle accident in 1972 where I crushed the radial head of the left elbow. I just learned to live with it. This is the first time I've ever heard that there was a name for it. Also my playing hasn't improved from how well I was playing before the accident even though I play nearly every day. I guess now I have an excuse. :D

I have experienced that also. It turns out that it's a combination of guitar straps compressing my shoulder muscles, which in turn causes me to hunch up when typing at work. This stress and unnatural position means I ended up floating my wrists when typing, causing the cubital nerve to be compressed. Numb fingers ensued. I now practice sat down with the band, and only stand for "stage rehearsal" instead of writing and jamming. A good high-back chair that supports my shoulders helps too. A good friend practices the Bowen Technique which has released a lot of tensions and helped my body start repairing the damage also. Very cool.

Ah, my left hand is the mother of all pain lately, all from guitar playing.

I found the best way of dealing with it is to stop playing for that day, go do something else (easy to do as the only guitars in work are ones that i build in my morning and lunch breaks)

well i found out it was just severe tendonitis..i got off lucky :D. i go to an ocupational/athletic physical theripist on thursday so i think things'll get work out. after i can play again, i plan to get guitar lessons to see if i hold the guitar wrong, play too much, or dont warm up enough, so this doesnt happen again.