The Action Level For Top Guitarist (famous)

squashandcarrots

Hi,

I don't like the high action on my guitar. Some say you lose tone lowering it. Do the majority of soloist use very low action? Can you make a round radius guitar faster with low action? Eric Johnson's strat looks super fast with very low action, but every strat I see in stores looks and feels slow (9.5 radius). Will finding a guitar with 12" radius help the problem?. Is maple slower than rosewood? Thanks for any advice

I have set up guitars for some well know players...most prefer very low action, some don't.

However when the ones who prefer low action go in the studio to record they have asked me to raise the action and reset the harmonics sometimes they want to increase the diameter of the strings for a fatter tone. They explained that they want totally clean single notes rather than chance any buzz even if it's uncomfortable because they can muscle through laying several short lead tracks. When they were done recording I'd set he guitars back where they preferred them for touring.

Some players have dedicated recording guitars and they are not any where near the guitars they tour with as far as pickups or action goes. It may be another Strat or L.P. but that's where the similarity ends.

reset the harmonics

oh arr, what's that then? Never heard that term.

it sounds like another phrase for intonation (?)

People use what they find comfortable.

Tiny wizard-thin necks make my hands cramp, so to me, they're slow. I also prefer a slightly higher than AS LOW AS POSSIBLE action because I like to vary how hard I dig into the strings with my right, which can get things a-rattling if things are 'too low'.

Buy a book on guitar setup (say, Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide or How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great if you only want the setup parts of the former), read through it carefully, and play around with your guitar setup.

Honestly, questions like 'is x slower/faster than y' mean exactly nothing at all.

Yes, compound radiusses allow lower action. Flatter radiuses do as well, sorta, to a point, but not to the point where they're 'slow' or 'fast'; they just fret out faster on bends. What's best for you? Try it out. But remember, almost every acoustic out there (not made by Gibson) has a 15" or 16" radius, and I doubt most people call those 'faster' playing guitars (however little that term actually means).

In terms of feel, well, I don't really touch the fingerboard much, but I prefer a rosewood or ebony board of maple, because when I do touch it, I'd rather have wood, not lacquer, under my fingertips. Ebony polishes up very well, as do harder rosewoods (East Indian Rosewood less than most others, although it can be perfectly 'smooth' and 'slick').

As I said elsewhere: it's a combination of factors, and a big honkin' huge part of it is taste.

Guitar action low, Bass action high. Just my preference, I like poppin' and slappin' sometimes.

I don't think speed is directly related to action. Extreamly low action demands extreamly consistent technique or you will buzz. Extreamly low action limits your dynamics by limiting how much you can "dig in" as Mattia put it. Slightly higher will open up your dynamics without sacrificing intonation much or putting much wear and tear on delicate hands. It all relates to your technique and finding the best height for you. Fretboard should not effect speed either. If you are putting the vice like choke hold on the fretboard, you are pressing too hard, wearing out those delicate hands, and probably pulling strings sharp(mucking with intonation again). Which again falls back on technique. Best way to make a neck faster is to practice, paying attension to your technique.

Peace,Rich

reset the harmonics

oh arr, what's that then? Never heard that term.

it sounds like another phrase for intonation (?)

Does to me too, but we may be missing a trick here. Bert knows his schizzle, so just wanted to elaborate :D

Harmonics=Intonation

Which brings up something else I'd like to share.

When setting the intonation always set it slightly flat to compensate for the inconsistency of fret placement.

(Disregard the next two sentences if you already know how to adjust the intonation)

The way I accomplish this is to chime the string at the 12th fret and used the strobe-tuner to accurately tune it to pitch then fret the string at the 12th fret to check intonation. If the string is Sharp lengthen the string, conversely shorten if flat.

The important thing I've learned in my many years of setting up real players guitars is to push down at the 12th fret harder than you would normally play and adjust until the note stabilizes both the open or chimed and the closed 12th fret. That will make you set the intonation slightly flat.

The guitar will play in tune better all over the fretboard. You can pull an individual string that is slightly flat in a barr chord say at the fifth fret. (A major) but there is nothing you can do if one of the notes in the chord is Sharp. Pro players pull certain strings sharp without consciously thinking about it. Also consider that most players on stage are pumped when performing and have a tendancy to get a little heavy handed due to adrenaline without realizing they're doing it. I get a lot of repeat business from performers. They come back bragging about how good and in tune their guitar plays after I've done a general adjustment. Sometimes they bring the other guitar or bass player with them to get a set up/general adjustment.

Don't take my word for it try it sometime.

Don't take my word for it try it sometime.

I'm stringing up and setting up my baritone guitar tommorrow so I shall do just that! Thanks for sharing your secrets :D

Its really all about how you feel. People who play fast amd aim for speed and shredding want it low as possible. Others more concerned with rhythm and less lead opt for a higher action. Myself I like to meet somewhere in the middle ground. I have an ibanez which has extremely low action, i use the for more shreding and I have my les paul at a middle action for cool leads but also keep the rhythms very punchy