bleaching ebony??

krazyderek

I'm pondering the thought of bleaching ebony so that i can stain the fingerboard to match a transparent blue on the body, the wood won't have the same figure but that's ok, think it can be done?

am i going to need like a ph 14 base liquid? has anyone else tried that drano stuff since it was sujjested, will ebony actually get that white/bright? and is this going to affect tone at all?

:D D'OH! I wasn't paying attention - you want the whole fingerboard blue. I somehow misread that you wanted a two-tone f'board. OK, why not just use maple? You could dye it, then coat it with CA like they do on fretless bass necks to seal in the dye, then finish normally. And save the ebony for another project.

i'm already a maple boy so i can definitly tell the difference between it and ebony fretboards, what about the veneer idea then? radius the ebony, then glue the veneer, re-check the radius with my block, then should i clear then fret like some maple necks do?, or fret then clear?

I would also drop the idea of veneering a fretboard. I think you'd lose a lot of tone that way. No way would I try that.

If you want to attempt dying the Ebony (I wouldn't either, as suggested above)

...then use the 2-part bleach made by Kleen-Strip. I've bleached Coco-Bolo with it just as a stupid experiment. I was bleaching something else at the time, had a little left over, and just decided to swab it on a hunk of C-B I had to see what heppened. It did lighten it up, MAYBE enough for you to slap some blue over it.

Try it on a scrap piece, maybe it'll work well enough for what you want. The Kleen-Strip stuff isn't that expensive...

But...even if you bleach the Ebony, dye it blue and wind up liking it...

...the dye will sooner or later wear off due to playing the neck unless you finish it.

Using Maple is really the best way to get where you want I think.

say it with me people, EB-O-NY :D althought those are nice woods, tulip wood is very hard and similar to ebony in physical caracteristics, bocote was also another good sujestion but how to they compare in terms of tone? if i could find some bocote with little to no dark grain... that would be ideal for bleaching... if the tone is close.... satin(blood) wood is pretty... hard, but really, really red... and toxic..