New Projects - - Wood Dilema!

WezV

Yeah - the contours come out at the correct places but it can be confusing. I loved what ESP did with the Viper's contouring because it's a bit more severe yet flowing. I guess the new and old school designs have their places of course.

like this

I'm sure it's turn out awesome Wez.

Edited by Prostheta

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been working on headstock designs for the SG, really symmetrical looks best so i needed a rethink

pkhds.jpg

i took my usual headstock design and mirrored the bass side., very happy with the results and i think i may use this headstock more... for the SG i thickened it up a little as well

th_sgheads.jpg

so we are going with teh bottom one, probably looks like a hundred other makers headstocks but i like it :D

i have also been playing around with spokeshaves and scrapers on this build more than my usual rasps and sandpaper. carving the mahogany neck was really quick with the spokeshave... i have never really got on well with it before.

the bevels are starting to get a bit sharper with the use of scrapers as well

• 3 weeks later...
Please, finish this natural! Looks so beautiful as it is!

nah, bot these are having some black. the spalted maple top will have a light grey/black burst to take away the pinkness. The SG will be solid black - it will make the nickel pickups and bridge really stand out

that is one fantastic looking SG! Tell me, how (or better: where) are you going to install the straplocks in order to avoid neck heavyness?

there will be a strap lock on the but and one one the back of the upper horn. they will both be dunlop strap locks but the top one will be the recessed variety so it wont protude, i may put it at a slight angle pointing backwards as well. Just waiting for the recessed set to turn up so i can sort that out. TBH i am not worried about neck heaviness, the guy wants an SG and it comes with the territory - but we have used a super light mahogany for the neck to help a bit.

I suppose a light tuner set might offset the balance somewhat. What are you intending on using?

erm... full size Grover rotomatics :D

tbh, I really dont expect it to be a problem with the strap button in the 'proper' location on the top horn, it seems to balance ok at the moment and i cant see it changing to much - i have more weight to add to the body than the neck. the headstock is also shorter than a gibbo's so although the fret board is longer than a gibbo the whole guitar ends up being the same length

nah its all been talked through with the future owner. he originally wanted locking tuners but this was the compromise and he is willing to change them if it is an issue.

i do think about all these things beforehand... i just dont worry about it as much :D

The fact is Tony Iommis was probably neck heavy but he coped all right... I bet i have thought about how it hangs on a strap more than John Birch or Gibson ever did

yeah, all the wood for this one came from larry.

i know warmoth have done the gecko inlays for a while... but this one is done purely because the owner has a lizard called Smaug, she sent me some pics of it and i based the inlay design on that

• 2 weeks later...

got a pic of the burst on my next vendetta model.. its a bit darker than i was expecting but i actually really like the way its turning out, just got to see what the future owner thinks

th_burst2.jpgth_burst1.jpg

also got my explorer nearly done in a fetchingly 80's white.. not what i originally had in mind either but i had an 80's feeling one day and some left over white.

bridge is a kahler hybrid from wammi world and the pickup is a holydiver from Bare Knuckle Pickups.. its their version of a JB.. but better, obviously. Its wired to a single volume with series/parallel switch

i will get better pics when i reclaim my camera from my sprayer

th_DSC01770.jpgth_DSC01769.jpg

might make a black scratchplate to see if it looks good

its my cousin nath who is doing it and also building some guitars now as well.. i have asked him before about spraying for other people but at the moment he is doing all our stuff, has a full time job, is at college 2 nights a week training to be a plumber with on the job training at weekends and also setting up a new band and having a wife to see occasionaly.... i dare not even ask :D thats why i may do some oil and wax finishes this year :D

well the person having the vendetta said she loves the burst so we can proceed with the clear now. I think it was my distressed TOM strat that made her want this kind of finish so much... but this one will be shiny and not left in an unpolished state

looking forward to getting some clear on it - i dont think the back will be as colourfull as originally hoped for as the wood has faded - should still be pretty nice though

burst1.jpg

its my cousin nath who is doing it and also building some guitars now as well.. i have asked him before about spraying for other people but at the moment he is doing all our stuff, has a full time job, is at college 2 nights a week training to be a plumber with on the job training at weekends and also setting up a new band and having a wife to see occasionaly.... i dare not even ask :D thats why i may do some oil and wax finishes this year :D

Thanks Wez. Oil and wax have always been my weapons of choice as I choose nice woods to show off, but this is one I really do want to get refinished in a nice Olympic white.

well the person having the vendetta said she loves the burst so we can proceed with the clear now. I think it was my distressed TOM strat that made her want this kind of finish so much... but this one will be shiny and not left in an unpolished state

looking forward to getting some clear on it - i dont think the back will be as colourfull as originally hoped for as the wood has faded - should still be pretty nice though

burst1.jpg

WezV, I love the shape of your Vendetta :D

Perhaps my second guitar will be inspired on her. :D