First Build

yea yea yea

after about forever of building its actually done, finished a couple weeks ago. sounds incredible, will post a clip whenever. the neck is super quick, all nice and slim and such. i have a little fret buzz to deal with, and the high E string buzzes to a dampening when played open. i sorta fixed the problem by raising the action, but i wouldn't mind a clearly ringing e string. every once and a while i 'fall off' the neck on the high e string as well, but not bad for a 14 year old right? oh yea, the brushed on nitro finish isnt the prettiest ive seen, but its nice.

Neck: Cherry

Body: Mahogany

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Truss Cover and Pick guard: Grenadillo?

Tuners: Gotoh 510s (those things are sick)

Bridge: Adjustable Wraparound

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Antiquity P-90s (oh man those are REAL nice)

Other stuff: Aluminum inlay dots, 24 fret (two octave) fingerboard, ivory inlay, brass nut and accent piece.

The entire guitar was designed by me, from the shape of the neck, to the design of the inlay, and was built by my father and i this summer. Enjoy :D

DSCN0828.jpg

inlay

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/temp4/DSCN0829.jpg

Pickguard and controls

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/temp4/DSCN0830.jpg

Headstock (love the blur)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/temp4/DSCN0831.jpg

Some of the Fingerboard

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/temp4/DSCN0832.jpg

Neck Joint (i eat blur for breakfast)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/temp4/DSCN0833.jpg

Oops. forgot to take one of the back in its entirety. tough luck

comments welcome.

I dig! Killer for any age, man, pat yourself on the back! Reminds me of Brian May's Red Special, and that's definitely a good thing :D I'm in the middle of my second build right now, pressed my frets yesterday, dressed them today, and very pleased with how it all came out.

And now you know the only logical place to go from here, right?

Build another one!

well of course i showed it off to the folks at skool, (oh man, people were coming from all stretches of campus to see it) and everyone wants to make one now :D . Actually, for my next build, i want to make a thinlineish jazz guitar. (maybe put in a bridge pup and have a two pickup jazz guitar). the finish will prolly be nitro, but it will be shot to eliminate that buildup (gloss black ftw) One of my teachers is actually making a semi hollow right now, he messed up the first time, and he is taking a year to finish this one but im going to push him through :D Sound clip will come as promised!

How does cherry work as a neck wood? My local lumberyard has tons of it and it's cheaper than maple or mahogany or anything exotic. Last time I went in I saw a few nice pieces of quartersawn but didn't feel like taking the risk.

EDIT: forgot to say, great job. Very classy.

Edited by tubab0y

How does cherry work as a neck wood? My local lumberyard has tons of it and it's cheaper than maple or mahogany or anything exotic. Last time I went in I saw a few nice pieces of quartersawn but didn't feel like taking the risk.

EDIT: forgot to say, great job. Very classy.

I have used cherry before in other projects and it seems very similar to maple. It looks nice, carves and machines well and gives a bright tone similar to maple from what i can tell.

yea, the cherry is sick, id say it has a more medium tone in between mahogany and maple. Dont worry, Geo, ive got a hot rod deluxe with week old tubes :D Grrrr i had to "go to work" today so the sound clip will be possibly tomorrow :D

:edit: it actually has the slightest flaming right below the 8th fret. it sort of swirls around a central mark. Definitely my favorite spot on the entire instrument

Edited by White Summer

Dont worry, Geo, ive got a hot rod deluxe with week old tubes :D

Hmm... that will do for now... :D

Okay, I'm pretty picky. I don't like modern mass-produced amps.

sb... I think he did most of the work himself? That's the impression I got from following the other thread. I wouldn't assume that he couldn't do it just cuz he's fourteen.

good job. how much of the work did you really do. not to be negative but there is no way that you completeted this yourself. you just said your teacher is finishing up one as well. how much did he do...really?

Bit harsh, as i am pretty sure he completed the build by himself from what i can tell.