The Gambler

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to take photography lessons.

These were engraved on a CNC, but the individual cards were cut and joined by hand. The hand is: A/6/6/6/A, and will be black/red/black/red/black... i think...

We went through a bunch of inlay ideas. If it wasnt for the inlays, this guitar would have been done last year. So many cool designs, and in the end Andy just said "stuff it, go the cards, we will build another later anyway". Fine by me!

IMG_2548.jpg

... and thats it. No more updates for a while, other jobs to do...

This one is for Andy. Its his second custom. His first one was GOTM Dec 2004. After this one, he still has one more on order. I guess he likes my stuff :D

Black Limba body, solid Indian Rosewood neck and Ebony fretboard (26.2" scale).

IMG_2242.jpg

Cool - I'm working on a black limba explorer too. I see that you route the neck mortise at the same time as the pickup routes. I was going to wait until the neck was glued, then route the pickup/bridge cavities out.

In your experience, is there a drawback to doing it that way?

How do you plan on finishing the body? I find limba soft and I want to make sure it doesn't dent easily, but at the same time, I want a thin finish.

Here are mine, rough body shape (I'm building 2 at once):

219767126.jpg

Edited by guitar2005

I see that you route the neck mortise at the same time as the pickup routes. I was going to wait until the neck was glued, then route the pickup/bridge cavities out.

Umm, well, there will be a neck in the way for one... If the neck rout is done, the neck aint going to move... assuming its tight. Its perfectly fine to rout the pickups then, before its glued in.

I dont drill for the bridge until the neck is in.

How do you plan on finishing the body? I find limba soft and I want to make sure it doesn't dent easily, but at the same time, I want a thin finish.

I think its going to be satin lacquer, or maybe oil finish, but i still need to confirm. The owner is careful with his guitars, so oil will be fine if thats what he wants.

I see that you route the neck mortise at the same time as the pickup routes. I was going to wait until the neck was glued, then route the pickup/bridge cavities out.

Umm, well, there will be a neck in the way for one... If the neck rout is done, the neck aint going to move... assuming its tight. Its perfectly fine to rout the pickups then, before its glued in.

I dont drill for the bridge until the neck is in.

I think its going to be satin lacquer, or maybe oil finish, but i still need to confirm. The owner is careful with his guitars, so oil will be fine if thats what he wants.

LOL! Yeah the neck is in the way but there's nothing a jig can't fix.

I made a special jig that goes over the neck and yes, the pocket is tight but I figure the neck tenon also has to be routed out for the pickups. So I guess you have the tenon already cut out to accomodate the pickup, right? Then you glue in.

Finish - I'm a little paranoid on that end. I think I'll go with a washcoat, sealer then nitro. If oil or nitro is good for you, it'll be good for me.

That's a nice piece of wood you got there. I had such a hard time finding the stuff here in Canada. I can't wait to see how your latest will turn out. I'm a big fan of Explorers.

Those are some awesome pieces of wood!!! :D

I love rosewood necks too. They have this great unfinished silky feel that's incredibly fast. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a one piece Brazilian Rosewood neck years ago.

Now I'm planning on making 2 guitars with 2 Indian RW necks. I have bought the blanks already and the figured Macassar ebony fretboards. Now I have to get me some more experience and free time at the shop for doing them :D

Can't wait to see this guitar finished. B)

Its a ESP/Gibson, but we didnt have either in person, so i guessed it. The day after i cut it, both a gibbo and a customshop ESP explorer came in, and they were both pretty close. Mother of Pearl logo.

any pics of it? what wood?

My client wanted black limba on the front, but i talked him out of that. Pure rosewood goodness.

• 2 weeks later...