Full

Body

Back

Headstock

Inlay detail

12th fret inlay

Flamed neck

And it plays and sounds amazing too !!!

This has been a great experience, all in all it took 4 months (since July 27th). A few mistakes along the road, all happily resolved in the end. So we've learned a lot.

So I guess we're ready for the next challenge and the oportunity to make new mistakes and learn new things.

But this first one will surely be always special.

Thanks to all for the patience, support and help !!!

See you around.

Thanks a lot guys for the nice words, I'm flattered. Specially when the praise comes from some very experienced builders. I've seen some of the beauties you make and really makes me want to learn more and get better in this craft.

P90s rule, dude !! :D

Seriously (and more according to my age) there's something about P90s on a mahogany slab that I simply love. For me it's close to the perfect pickup, with the crispness and dynamics of a single coil and the guts of a bucker. Short of insanely high gain, it can do anything.

I have been curious about the possibilities of 3 P90s in Strat switching configuration for quite some time, and this was the perfect opportunity to try it. It really makes for a tremendously versatile guitar, many very disctinct voices. I was a little worried about the 3 pickups. e.g. I could never play confortably a 3-humbucker LP Custom. In this one the third pickup is allways a bit in the way for picking, but not nearly as bad as 3 humbuckers would be.

And Doug, breaking a bottle of champagne against something and waste it would be a shame !! Save it for when you finish yours (the Alien Letter PRS, w/p90s too !!!) and I'll open one here and we can have a virtual toast !!!

Thanks again, it's been a highly enjoyable experience. Now to start the second (and third) build(s) !!!

BTW, due to popular demand !! :D I'll enter the guitar in GOTM, but is December already closed ??

January’s GOTM is looking to be a tough month! However, this one is on my short list already. I don’t like the PRS shape but there is something I like about this… maybe because PRS wouldn’t sick 3 p90s on their guitars! I like the oiled finish which is also something that strays away from most PRS copies.

Good job of thinking outside the box on a traditional build!

That is one of the most beautiful guitars I've seen for a while, you should be very proud. Now you need to show us how your second build is coming along. :D

Hi Blackdog, absolutely beautiful work, you have obviously taken a lot of care at each step and it has paid off. Are you going to post some sound samples? Also, they are unusual machine head spindles, they are sitting up very perky, is there still enough of a string angle over the nut? Lastly, got to tell you the carve and the contrasting wood colours are making everyone :D

Edited by Muzz

Hi Blackdog, absolutely beautiful work, you have obviously taken a lot of care at each step and it has paid off. Are you going to post some sound samples? Also, they are unusual machine head spindles, they are sitting up very perky, is there still enough of a string angle over the nut? Lastly, got to tell you the carve and the contrasting wood colours are making everyone :D

Thanks,

Yes, I took a lot of care as everything was being done for the first time. Still there were some mistakes, and the guitar is not perfect, but for my first build I think it came out quite well.

Unfortunately I'm not set up to make sound samples at this time. I should be able to do that soon, I might post something in a week or two so you can all tell that even with the very limited experience, I'm better at building than at playing the things... But 3 P90s are not quite common, so I think it'll still be interesting for many people to hear the different voices.

Regarding the tuners I have mixed feelings now.

I bought two sets of these because I thought it was a clever implementation, and indeed it is.

It’s a cam locking mechanism that works pretty much like the old PRS winged tuners, in a much slickier package.

But there are disadvantages: the posts are almost absurdly tall. This obviously means a significantly shallower string break angle at the nut. This is not necessarily bad. There’s a positive effect in the ringing of the strings with shallower break angles at the nut and/or at the bridge. The open string ringing is impressive, and a good part of it might be due to this effect.

They are also heavy, but tolerable with the wooden buttons. BTW, the replacement buttons made for Schaller M6 tuners fit.

They have a tendency to break the string at the post when tuning/detuning. This is a major PITA for setup, but once that’s done they are really easy for string changes and they perform smoothly. So for these reasons I’m going to keep them in this guitar.

Anyway I think that I’ll switch to Sperzels for the second build. I will NEED a lighter set of tuners.

I still have an unused set, so maybe I’ll design a thicker headstock to accommodate these better the next time.

Edited by Blackdog