Gibson Robot Guitar

wwwdotcomdotnet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.tronical.com/

I can't remember the company name, but they're quite the pieces of engineering and apparently kick ... er... butt.........

Also, after looking at the site, you can scratch the 'invasive' concern off. It uses the strings to send signals between the bridge and the tuners, so it doesn't need much in the way of routing or running wires. The 'expensive' concern is, however, very much still present. 900 Euros? I'm suprised how cheap the Gibson guitar is. They must have got a helluva bulk discount.

I meant the automatic butt-cleaning toilet.

I think we talked about Tronical back on page 1 or something. Or maybe it was another thread-- there's been a few of these. :D

But yeah... the automatic butt-cleaning toilet. It's quite a piece of engineering and apparently kicks.. er... butt... :D

Y'know, it may be able to re-tune itself, but what about the truss rod? A guitar is set up properly with the correct tension on the truss rod to counter the tension of a particular gauge of strings in an equally particular tuning. Take a guitar set up for 10's in standard tuning and then detune the guitar for, let's say, dropped Db, then you have a boat load of buzzin' all over the neck. I'm not too happy with the robot guitar concept... but alas, that is only my opinion.

Another thing about technology like these tuners are loss in skills or never developing these skills. Its hard to describe the exact benefits, but I know I gained quite a bit in learning how to tune a guitar. Aside from slightly helping you to learn the notes along the board, you get to hear these and learn how they go with one another. The more tunings you know the more you learn. The same concept goes for so much of technology. I dunno, its not a huge reason, but just another to add. As I said learning to tune helped me out quite a bit. I bet in the future there will be a bunch of kids that have no idea how to tune, yet will be able to play perfectly fine and all the old guys who know how will look down with shame and the kids will see them as old men with "classic axes". What do you wanna bet?J

I'm not too happy with the robot guitar concept...

Standard equipment on all guitars 25 years from now. And here's a quote from a PG forum post, in 2035 :

" Just picked up one of these new 'Made in Ethiopia' strats for only $1,200 and would like to remove the auto-tune mechanism. What's the best way to do this ?"

Another thing about technology like these tuners are loss in skills or never developing these skills. Its hard to describe the exact benefits, but I know I gained quite a bit in learning how to tune a guitar. Aside from slightly helping you to learn the notes along the board, you get to hear these and learn how they go with one another. The more tunings you know the more you learn. The same concept goes for so much of technology. I dunno, its not a huge reason, but just another to add. As I said learning to tune helped me out quite a bit. I bet in the future there will be a bunch of kids that have no idea how to tune, yet will be able to play perfectly fine and all the old guys who know how will look down with shame and the kids will see them as old men with "classic axes". What do you wanna bet?J

Try building a guitar without a router. If you ask me, tools are developed for a reason. The key to any tool is that it does not interfere with the art. In the case of luthiery, if routers made the end result worse artistically, then they shouldn't be used. If they assist in creating the vision and make life easier, go for it. Why worry about developing obsolete skills?? Also, I don't think an auto tuner will mean that no one can tune a guitar ever again because they lost the know how. That's a little silly. It's just a tool people. Don't make too much out of it. Personally, I find tuning a necessary nuisance -- not a means to artistic creation. Of course, Adrian Legg might differ with me on that...

I think we talked about Tronical back on page 1 or something. Or maybe it was another thread-- there's been a few of these. :D

But yeah... the automatic butt-cleaning toilet. It's quite a piece of engineering and apparently kicks.. er... butt... :D

Ahh... Gotcha. You mean the Toto Neorest.

http://www.totoneorest.com/home.html

HOLY POOPERS!!! That is just icing on the cake. Easily the funniest thing I've seen in a while, considering the tangent this thread is on. The dude in the next cube needed an explanation on why I burst into lysterical laughter.

Thanks, Trynity. That made my day.

HOLY POOPERS!!! That is just icing on the cake. Easily the funniest thing I've seen in a while, considering the tangent this thread is on. The dude in the next cube needed an explanation on why I burst into lysterical laughter.

Thanks, Trynity. That made my day.

Perhaps you meant a bidet ('be-day') ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

Trynyty- I know what you're saying and I wasn't really trying to say no one will ever know how to tune because obviously as you learn this becomes something so simple, I was just getting at that learning how to tune helps one with the basics, when you are learning mainly. I'd bet if you asked any guitar teacher which would you prefer your beginner students to have, they would almost all say manual tuners, I know mine would, he always wanted me to learn everything the hard way. I think learning the notes and how to hear when the notes are in tune are quite useful in learning and will increase the speed at which one would learn versus having it done for them. I'm not trying to dog the tuners or the idea really, just adding some points I think are relevant to the topic, plus I was having a little fun with the examples I worte. I'm sure its great to have, but like with all unneccessary technology, its just another thing that can go wrong maybe similar to choosing between automatic and manual transmission. Hopefully, they will be problem free and work well for those who choose them.

Its something I am not into at this point, but who know what the future will bring, I would have never guessed automatic tuners would come out, thats for sure. And just when you thought there was nothing left to do, they'll put little keyboard keys under each of the saddles on the bridge and instead of picking you just press the keys and they'll be played for you.

Trynyty- I know what you're saying and I wasn't really trying to say no one will ever know how to tune because obviously as you learn this becomes something so simple, I was just getting at that learning how to tune helps one with the basics, when you are learning mainly. I'd bet if you asked any guitar teacher which would you prefer your beginner students to have, they would almost all say manual tuners, I know mine would, he always wanted me to learn everything the hard way. I think learning the notes and how to hear when the notes are in tune are quite useful in learning and will increase the speed at which one would learn versus having it done for them. I'm not trying to dog the tuners or the idea really, just adding some points I think are relevant to the topic, plus I was having a little fun with the examples I worte. I'm sure its great to have, but like with all unneccessary technology, its just another thing that can go wrong maybe similar to choosing between automatic and manual transmission. Hopefully, they will be problem free and work well for those who choose them.

I hear you, and I'm not upset at all. This is just one of many guitars that I own and I could sell it for 3X what I paid for it -- if I wanted to. I just thought it was a cool thing to play with and the price was great. I understand the fear or hatred some people get when someone changes something that has been almost unchanged for 60 years. That's natural. Fanned frets and headless necks come to mind. But, you shouldn't be afraid of things that make life easier -- like this definitely does.

I don't know any guitarist who learned perfect pitch by tuning their guitar. It takes a lot more effort than that. You have to separate the learning from the using. I agree, it is great to learn how to tune. I'm a software engineer and we learned machine code in school. It's great fundamental knowledge, sure, but I'm very glad that I never have to write in it. The higher level computer languages make life so much easier. As for guitars, if you are on stage and need to quickly tune between songs, how would you prefer to do it? Personally, I don't have a tech I can throw the guitar to as he gives me another one ready to go - so pushing a button and strumming the strings for 2 seconds seems like a great thing. If this could be done with floyd rose trems, I'd be in heaven. :D

Its something I am not into at this point, but who know what the future will bring, I would have never guessed automatic tuners would come out, thats for sure. And just when you thought there was nothing left to do, they'll put little keyboard keys under each of the saddles on the bridge and instead of picking you just press the keys and they'll be played for you.

If it ruins the artistic expression, then it is no good. Pressing keys to pluck notes removes half the expressiveness of a guitar, so that would be no good.

My advice would be to try it. I didn't know what to expect, and I can tell that the technology is not 100% yet -- although it is damn close. What I didn't expect was how quickly I would adapt to it. It is much cooler than I expected. Plus, it sounds and plays like a Les Paul! Time to rip though some GnR covers! :D

• 1 month later...
Another thing about technology like these tuners are loss in skills or never developing these skills. Its hard to describe the exact benefits.

Well, people of the future would rely so heavily on these auto-wipers to the point that they'd never learn to properly clean their butt without one. It would be very embarrassing to have to waddle over to the neighbors with a filthy ass because your auto-wiper is broke. Old-timers talkin about walkin in the snow barefoot uphill both ways would be nothin compared to having to wipe your butt with paper back in the day. Medieval, archaic even.

Ya talked me into it. Get me a Robot Guitar that wipes my butt too. Hooray for technology!

P.S. Just make sure the 'auto-tune' button and 'auto-wipe' buttons are clearly marked and far apart...and please don't make it shaped like that p-nis guitar that was posted here a couple years ago. :D