Merry Xmas To Me!

fookgub

I spent my Christmas gift card at Home Depot today. Got a Rigid OSS and a Rigid 2 1/4 HP router with plunge and fixed bases. I tested the OSS, and it seems to work great. I won't actually get to try it on a guitar body for a couple months, though. The router is awesome... much nicer than my old Craftsman. The plunge action is a little stiff, though. I'm going to use it a bit and see if it loosens up. If not, I'll exchange it for another one.

tools1.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~wrobert/tools2.jpg

The model number is EB44241. Not sure why that matters, since Ridgid only makes one OSS. The total came to $385 including a 10% off card I had, but I only paid $85 out of pocket (thanks Mom & Dad!). Unfortunately, the router has to go back. The plunge tends to stick in the "down" position, then pop back up forcefully and unexpectedly. It's not just annoying, it's dangerous. I'm sure Home Depot will let me exchange it. Otherwise, it's a very nice machine.

Edited by fookgub

There is absolutely no reason to belittle or insult a forum member over something so small and asinine. Whether the forum member received a power tool as a gift or it came from his own pocket is no reason to result to Ad hominem. Not only that, but you have absolutely no evidence that fookgub is or is not financially supporting himself. My grandparents still receive presents and they're in their 70's. By your logic, they must be on welfare.

Honestly, take time to learn and understand before resulting to ignorance.

Thanks for the support, guys. Carl, I'm sorry you took my comment like that. I really wasn't trying to be a smartass, but I guess it's hard to tell sometimes over the internet.

Anyway, I exchanged the router today. The new one works great, but the whole experience has just made me glad I bought it locally instead of on the internet. The Ridgid really makes my old Craftsman seem like a toy in comparison, though. Next up, I need a new router table. I haven't decided whether to buy or build it, though. Building would be a no-brainer if I had a tablesaw, but it's a little tougher without one. What do y'all think? Are there any decent prefab ones that won't cost me an arm and a leg? A decent jointing fence is a must.

Do you have the old craftsman router table? Have you tried mounting your router to it? I've got one that is probably older than I am and it has a ton of holes in it, so it's quite universal. I just found out that I can hook my PC router up to it, now I don't have to build or make my own until I build my own tablesaw table / router table setup, woohoo! If you're looking to buy one, go to a local woodcraft or rockler, they both carry some sweet router tables for less than $200.

Do you have the old craftsman router table? Have you tried mounting your router to it? I've got one that is probably older than I am and it has a ton of holes in it, so it's quite universal. I just found out that I can hook my PC router up to it, now I don't have to build or make my own until I build my own tablesaw table / router table setup, woohoo! If you're looking to buy one, go to a local woodcraft or rockler, they both carry some sweet router tables for less than $200.

No, the old Craftsman table I have won't fit the Ridgid unless I drill some new holes in it. I'm fed up with the non-flat surface and worse-than-useless fence on it anyway. I'm starting to think I should just build a table, but I can't seem to find a fence for it. Most of the standalone fences I've found are very expensive. I'm sure they're nice, but as a hobbyist, I have to draw the line somewhere. I'm actually thinking about one of the Bosch router tables. I've seen this one at Lowes before and it seems nice. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Edited by fookgub

• 3 weeks later...
I've seen this one at Lowes before and it seems nice. I'll have to give it some more thought.

routertable.jpg

Well, I ended up buying it. Got it for $168 shipped off Amazon. Seemed like a decent enough deal. The table is big... much larger than my old one. The fence is plenty sturdy, and very simple to adjust. I had to drill a hole in the mounting plate for the above-the-table height adjustment (which, by the way, is freakin' sweet), but that was expected and only took a few minutes. Overall, I'm real happy with this little Christmas spending spree. Now if I could just find the time to use my new tools....

Edited by fookgub