3rd Build. Spalted Maple Guitar.

I had enough wood lying around so I decided to make myself a guitar, since I dont have one (I play bass).

Body : Spalted maple front and back, Sapelle core with pinstripe.

Neck : Sapelle/maple. Spalted headstock, mahogany backstrap. Kwilla fingerboard.

Have yet to make the pickup for it. Leaning towards a p-90 type and if that doesnt sound good Ill make a humbucker (if that doesnt sound good, Ill cry...)

All black hardware, gotoh tune-o-matic bridge, Gotoh tuners, black knobs.

Will have one tone, one volume

Basically its identical to the bass im gonna make in appearance

sg31.jpg

body is ready for neck route, then the cutaways can be cleaned up.

More pics here

Wow that looks great! I love the contrasting woods on the fingerboard and the neck (compared to the spalted maple). Cool looking headstock design w/ great bookmatching on the top, back, & headcap. Looking forward to seeing some finish on this baby!

Cheers!

Scab

• 1 month later...

Finally getting more done on this.

sg52.jpg

Made pickup covers. Routed pickup cavities, drilled jack hole and all wiring holes.

Now i just need to finish it.

I have however realised a screw up.....

When i measured the tuners i didnt double check the string layout..

So i think im gonna have to use a string tree or something.

It looks very borderline as to whether you'll need a string tree or not.

spalthead.jpg

You may be able to get away with it if you use a slightly longer-than-normal nut, but you risk the strings binding in the slots so this isn't satisfactory. If the fingerboard hadn't been attached, you could have either added a zero fret (brings the guiding nut position back a bit, changing the string break angles) or reveneered the headstock (if you had more spalt) after dowelling and redrilling the tuner positions.

Personally (and this is in no way a recommendation) I like the straight string pull of your 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th strings, and some kind of tree to break the angles of the 3rd and 4th out halfway down the headstock would look cool. In my head anyway. It would probably be impractical really. Realistically, the 1st and 6th should have been 1/4-1/3" closer to the nut, and the 2nd and 5th slightly closer also, or something along those lines.

I really hope that you get this hurdle overcome because this looks like a very very nice build otherwise!

• 2 weeks later...

To fix the headstock problem, I'd do something like they have on the Moderne where there are pegs that the strings are rerouted with to get to the tuners properly.

Not really a great picture but if you look closely you can see where the string hits a peg and gets redirected evenly.

Moderne

The tops of those frets look pretty flat. Your still doing more leveling/crowning than in that picture right?

Yeah i just did a quick level as I still needed to install the last fret. Seemed pointless dressing them if theres a chance I'd need to do it again.

I now have all the frets in and dressed.

To get by the string issue I'm just gonna use a string tree

Thanks for the comments guys. Leveling the body when it has cracks in the top wood is a pain....

To fix the headstock problem, I'd do something like they have on the Moderne where there are pegs that the strings are rerouted with to get to the tuners properly.

Not really a great picture but if you look closely you can see where the string hits a peg and gets redirected evenly.

Moderne

I would not use a headstock like that. Unless those pegs have some kind of roller, I think that's going to cause tuning problems. I think it's best to let the strings get to the tuners in straight and almost-straight lines. It just looks better too, having the headstock slightly weighted (visually) towards the nut. The "Moderne" headstock in the link is heavily visually weighted towards the free end, which works for that particular design but doesn't usually look good to me.

Edited by Geo

It wouldn't be as bad as the moderne though would it? because it would be a tiny angle and would be better than trees because they work in the wrong plane

I'm off to go and check my headstock design just to make sure that it is not going to foul.

to be fair it never did make it onto the guitar first time round did it? how many of the reissues were baught by players?

Edited by joshvegas

I'm going to use it how it is. The angle isnt going to be that great, and i can slightly reshape the tree to provide better angles.

This guitar is for me to screw round on, Im a bass player and i cant actually play guitar to save myself. I just needed practice on making a neck before i start my bass.

If this guitar was for someone else there is no way I'd use this neck. The neck part itself is fine, just made a couple of mistakes on the headstock.

But thanks for your input. I just got ahead of myself when it came to the tuners.

Maybe in future i will make a new neck. But its all practice really.

Personally, I would rather avoid the tuning problems... so I might try filling those holes, trimming the headstock, and redrilling the top two holes. You might even be able to hide it under the washers and backs of the tuners.

But I would rather have a guitar with a small visual flaw that doesn't have tuning problems.

Just something to consider.

I just put the tuners on and a slotted nut, tested with a straight edge. The string paths (surprisingly) dont interrupt each other, theres just under 1 mm clearance. So it will work (mostly)without a retainer.

" so I might try filling those holes, trimming the headstock, and redrilling the top two holes. You might even be able to hide it under the washers and backs of the tuners. "

Yeah i thought about that alot when i realised. Only thing that stopped me was tha fact that the headstock have front and back laminates. So that was gonna be a pain.

"But I would rather have a guitar with a small visual flaw....."

Trust me, it has many of those........... :D

• 4 months later...

Finally at a playable stage!

Havent done anything for months due to doing ligament damage to my finger, havent played bass in 2 1/2 months.

sg71.jpg

Havent fully finished it. The neck finish needs to be finished. Put it together for a test fit.

Plays really well, sounds better than I'd hoped. Kinda between Lp junior and a jazzmaster.

once again more pics at photobucket.