Dude, I totally forgot about hearing from you. You used to be on the FDP too, way back, right?

Nah, nothing like that as far as rebounding. It's just a year or two ago, I felt like there were more guitar building purists on this forum and that's fine. But I didn't feel like I measured up.

I'm working on some original design ideas. Very 80's metal, sort of reminescent of early Dean stuff. But until then, I keep using classic body shapes.

I had a website for my guitars.......well a "under contruction/coming soon" website. I listed that as my website under my FDP profile page. I also had many images of guitars I had built. Since the FDP prohibits any mentioning of business (regarded as Spamming) I guess between the two of those, Chris felt I was pimping my guitars, using the FDP as fishing for potential customers. The fact was that many people began commenting on my guitars and since I could not use the FDP as a forum to discuss what I do with my guitars (selling wise), I would list my website email so that I could separate my home email from my guitars email.

Chris has been a real pain towards me whenever I ask why I'm bumped off the FDP (this has happened before, twice). He's always sarcastic, never mature in his reasoning. He suggested that I pay for a business FDP account of $100 per month paid annually. Building guitars is not my main gig and certainly cannot justify that amount just to comment on cold rolled steel sustain blocks and which wetsand paper to use for final finishing. The least he would accept from me to return to the FDP would be to pay for every year I was a contributing member on the FDP......$120.

Others have obviously run into his "top of the sandbox" mentality as well since I'm noticing more and more people no longer seen on the FDP. I was even called a snitch by Chris for me pointing out how it was interesting I was being singled out when there were many who posted similar topics, and profile images and were also making a living making guitars.

So future post pics that I've been working on this past year: Longboard Surf Guitar, Mahogany/Maple carved top, Chris Craft boat inspired guitar (version 2) and a guitar built entirely from the discarded wall framing studs from my newly renovated 1956 home. The studs were made from a 100+ year old douglas fir tree. I could count at least 83 tight growth rings in just one 2x4. Very resonant and creamy smooth tone.

Later Dudes,

- Stew

Dude, I totally forgot about hearing from you. You used to be on the FDP too, way back, right?

Yup, 24-7. I was a daily FDP man for many years!

I still go there to read every once in awhile, and honestly, the FDP has one of the best search engines on the web I've ever found for any musical related stuff, I still use it as an excellent resource when I need it.

I still refer any Lace posts I run across to (S)Mark Mitchells' clips, things like that

Just don't post there anymore...maybe once a year...

Oh well, times change, things change, people change, forums change, that's life....

I hope you can post a link to pics of your guitars, you would be an inspiration here...the Sandbox guitar I think was my all-time favorite, but I have lost touch with you over the years, you have probably done some other things I would love to see since then.

Care to post a Website addy or links to pics?

C'mon, give up the goods, show everybody here what ya got! :D

Namaste!

PrayerPic.jpg

I was banned from the FDP about 3 years ago, it was the eve of the last presidential election and Mr. Greene had posted a message along the lines of "...absolutely no political discussion will be tolerated...".

He cut me off when I posted a reply along the lines of "...ZZZZ wake me up when it's over...."

Drak that's where I first bumped into you.

Look for a thread entitled "The Worlds Best Clam Chowder" or something like that (Campbell's Chunky for whoever's wondering...).

I just had some for dinner, on your recommendation. I'll have to agree that it's very good. And not at all gritty like Progresso's clam chowder. Almost too creamy though...maybe I'll try the low fat version next time.

</hijack>

Stew,

I've seen your work on the FDP and I think we talked some time back about wood suppliers in the Orange County area. Aren't you from out around Riverside someplace? Anyway, I've always liked your work.

I still check out the FDP, but the constant badgering for donations and the obnoxious responses to those who haven't kicked in enough are really depressing. The whole place is pretty heavy-handed and they are losing some good folks. Remember Vickers? One of the real good, real fun guys hasn't been around for months.

It's too bad, because they have a lot of members - in fact, that may have been where I met Drak and badgered him with my Zebrawood Tele questions - got great advice by the way.

Marty

I felt like there were more guitar building purists on this forum and that's fine. But I didn't feel like I measured up.

No way, your stuff rocks! I have always enjoyed your guitars and the way you seamlessly work your themes into them. Great work as always.

Also it is good to hear about the Douglas Fir. My brother in-law had the opportunity to strip a 1940s bungalow near Cleveland before it got demolished. He gave me a stack of stair treads with the same tight grain lines. I was planning on building an archtop with that.

Thanks again for the pics!

~David

Well, thanks David.

Hopefully those stairs aren't D. Fir. It's a very soft wood and it might have become wall art only. It's already showing fret wear, but like a Ruffles potatoe chip kind of way. You know, the growth rings are harder than the softer in between sections.

And yes, even the entire neck is made from the same wood. All I did was take a 2x4, cut into 1/3rds, reverse the center section to be opposite wood grain, and then glue up. I used a separate piece of fir for the fingerboard. I picked a very uniform piece. Grain almost looks like tight grained sitka spruce. Daveguitarstew13A.jpg

Well, thanks David.

Hopefully those stairs aren't D. Fir. It's a very soft wood and it might have become wall art only. It's already showing fret wear, but like a Ruffles potatoe chip kind of way. You know, the growth rings are harder than the softer in between sections.

And yes, even the entire neck is made from the same wood. All I did was take a 2x4, cut into 1/3rds, reverse the center section to be opposite wood grain, and then glue up. I used a separate piece of fir for the fingerboard. I picked a very uniform piece. Grain almost looks like tight grained sitka spruce. Daveguitarstew13A.jpg

hmm. interesting. all the d. fir i know of is harder than rock maple. thats why they use it for construction work. great work by the way.

Oh, I'm not saying it's not structurely sound, it's just very soft and dings up easily. Plus the fact that metal strings making contact with near bare wood is starting to make those nice 50's fingerboard wear. I wiped about 4 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly for that framing guitar. I wanted it to look bare but still be somewhat protected. It's not meant for high use. I'll play it a few times but it's home will be mounted on the wall of my new addition.

Check out my neck plate. It's a picture of my house during renovation with the stucco removed prior to busting through the walls. In the house image, you can see the studs used in the guitar. Pretty cool.

Wallframeguitarneckplate.jpg