Horrible Nut!

hey folks, recently I purchased a locking nut on eBay, from merchant New Metal Shop Music. here is the link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=006

upon arrival I ripped the package open and mounted onto my Mighty Mite neck... and check out what happened:

http://www.bloodyvelvet.com/pics/floydnut.jpg

the mounting holes on the nut are misaligned! :D I know I bought the right nut (1 5/8" bottom mount), and i'm pretty sure it's not the neck's fault (just by looking at the bottom of the nut, i can tell the holes are off).

so this is just an advice to you all, not to buy cheap locking nuts from merchants on eBay. and damn, $15 can't fetch me a half decent locking nut? :D

So the nut has the right hole spacing, but the holes are off-center with respect to the nut? Odd... But with so many companies making "Floyd Rose" hardware, I'm not terribly surprised that it doesn't fit. I bought a conversion nut from Allparts once that came as two pieces: the nut itself and a metal shim. The holes were such that it was impossible to line up the nut and shim flush with each other, regardless of the neck to be used.

So the nut has the right hole spacing, but the holes are off-center with respect to the nut? Odd... But with so many companies making "Floyd Rose" hardware, I'm not terribly surprised that it doesn't fit. I bought a conversion nut from Allparts once that came as two pieces: the nut itself and a metal shim. The holes were such that it was impossible to line up the nut and shim flush with each other, regardless of the neck to be used.

i really think it's defective, not just a matter of compability issues. if you look at the clamps carefully, the spacings are different, and one side has a lot of space between the edge of the clamp and the edge of the nut!

I'm sending it in for a refund, i e-mailed these guys about the issue and they assumed I was a guitar n00b (courtesy of mr. john petrucci) and bought the wrong size.

I'm not mad or anything, but rather flabbergasted that unintentionally hilarious hardwares exist. :D :D

Well, gosh, can't you just flip it over? :D

I wonder about a lot of eBay hardware, like entire brand new FR systems from Hong Kong for $40+S&H.

This is exactly the reason I stopped posting any of my work on Ebay quite a while ago. Some sellers have really made picking a quality component out of the flood of junk nearly impossible. It's too bad that these types of issues have to happen. Just sorta ruins a persons day.

One day some time ago, just for the heck of it, I ordered Strat and Tele neck template from a seller with a lot of feedback. Mostly, I just wanted to compare their relative size etc. to my known good templates. Well, I was absolutely dumbfounded at the complete piece of junk they sent me!! WOW oh WOW!! There was a full 1/8" bow down the low E taper, then the taper ended just before the heel area! The neck pocket would have had to be rectangular not a trapezoid for the neck to fit! Not to mention the low E string would hang off the fingerboard about the 10th fret!

So I called him on it. He sent me a new set. These were off in other ways by a mile!! Sent them back got a refund, end of story.

I truly felt sorry for anyone who innocently happened on these templates, put good money into body and neck woods, only to realized it will not work! It's a crying shame. I don't want to be a party to that.

Be careful, be picky, know EXACTLY what you need. Saving money is not always worth the gamble.

Rant over....

-Doug

Makes me wonder if it was already destined for the reject pile at the factory, but somebody thought it would be perfect for that other reject pile known as ebay. (ok, not fair, I've bought some fantastic quality stuff there, but I'm extremely careful)

You can get kooky locking nuts for more money too. I bought a $28.00 Stew-Mac nut (made by Gotoh, I think). Open strings buzzed and couldn't figure out why. I took the clamp blocks off and the buzzing went away. Put them back on, and the buzz came back (yeah I screwed 'em down properly, and tried them turned around the other way, etc). I had 3 clamp blocks off a cheaper locking nut, put those on, and the buzzing problem was gone. As far as I could figure out, the Gotoh blocks were only clamping down the strings at the headstock side and probably even making the strings raise up slightly at the front edge (fret-board side), which could do nothing but cause the buzzing. I did not even tell stewmac about it. I waste so much time dealing with defective stuff from them.

I've never has an issue returning stuff to Stewmac that was defective. I just sent an email and they responded with what to do.

Maybe a buzzing nut might be more difficult to prove because of all the possible contributing factors involved. It's interesting though, because Gotoh makes some really nice stuff.

-Doug

Makes me wonder if it was already destined for the reject pile at the factory, but somebody thought it would be perfect for that other reject pile known as ebay. (ok, not fair, I've bought some fantastic quality stuff there, but I'm extremely careful)

You can get kooky locking nuts for more money too. I bought a $28.00 Stew-Mac nut (made by Gotoh, I think). Open strings buzzed and couldn't figure out why. I took the clamp blocks off and the buzzing went away. Put them back on, and the buzz came back (yeah I screwed 'em down properly, and tried them turned around the other way, etc). I had 3 clamp blocks off a cheaper locking nut, put those on, and the buzzing problem was gone. As far as I could figure out, the Gotoh blocks were only clamping down the strings at the headstock side and probably even making the strings raise up slightly at the front edge (fret-board side), which could do nothing but cause the buzzing. I did not even tell stewmac about it. I waste so much time dealing with defective stuff from them.

why does Stewmac always overprice everything

I bought a new locking nut from guitar parts depot for $20, the Gotoh 1 5/8" bottom mount nut. just sent the crappy nut back to the seller today. good riddance. I hope my new Gotoh nut is good.

why does Stewmac always overprice everything

I think Money just about sums it up. I have gotten defective items from SM also so don't believe their quality control is any better than the next guy you have to check it yourself. I sent them back a notched straight edge because it had a huge bow in the center on one side and a lovely curve on the other. They just replaced it without comment. If I didn't know better to check it against a known straight edge it looked fine. Looking fine and being fine are two different things. Imagine using that thing and assuming all your necks are way off; :D .

I've never has an issue returning stuff to Stewmac that was defective. I just sent an email and they responded with what to do.

I know, they pretty much always take stuff back that a customer is not happy with. It's just that sometimes, the last thing I can be bothered with, is finding a small box, packing up an item, drive to the post office. I have to do that routine with just about every StewMac order I make.